Thread: Bluetooth Technology

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Bluetooth Technology

I was flipping through BMW Magazine yesterday and I caught an article that says BMW will be implementing Bluetooth technology in it's Fall lineup.

I did not have a chance to read the entire article to find out the specifics, but has anybody heard anything about this?

I think that would be pretty interesting... until somebody driving beside you managed to intercept your transmissions between your PDA and your car... but still...
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    8 Wheels, 12 Cylinders
    All the reviews I've read on Bluetooth have given it a resounding...

meh...

Technology just doesn't seem to quite be there yet....
    '87 325is - 220k
    '93 325i - 161k
    '05 G35 Sedan 6MT

RIP - '98 M3/4 66k - RIP

My Cars
    2005 Evo VIII
    I'm waiting for the day where wireless connections will be the norm. At work i'm working on a couple of wireless apps that utilizes some of the same technology.

I agree. Right now there isn't a big push for it. Give it about 5 years and you'll see a big improvement...

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Whats the deal with the new SL500? There is no key. You have a proximity card. When you are close to your car, your door unlocks when you touch the handle, and there is no key. You just hit the start button. When someone figures out how to put this in my car, I will be set. Pretty cool eh?

Mpire
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    2005 Evo VIII
    that would be cool until someone figures out how to emulate the transmitters and open everyones door!

My Cars
    '95 ///M3
    Couldn't one make the same argument for picking locks and hot wiring our cars?

Someone only needs to get a hold of a BMW Key and then reverse engineer the chip... and tada!

The problem I have with this kind of logic is keys, chips/cards, keyless remotes, etc are ALL crackable givien enough time. Nothing is uncrackable... The point of a lock is deter a thief from trying because it would take too much time and effort to go through all iterations of the lock or the remote codes.

Take my alarm for example... It has 2^66 differnet codes it cycles through each time in set and unset it. First a thief would have to rig something together to transmit the code at the right frequnecy then the right format for the code... then repeat for each possible code. Too much time and effort... Better off breaking a window but then the alram goes off and the car won't start.
    2008 328xi

--------
    1995 ///M3 **RIP**

X-Brace
    Ground Control Track/School Coilover Kit

My Cars
    M5, E61
    I'd prefer if my finger and only my finger opened the car.
    Or my voice.

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    umnitza.. then I would just take a can of coke you drank.. put some tape on it.. remove your finger prints.. and use it to start your car

My Cars
    2005 Evo VIII
    I was in the military before I became a software engineer. I was SPECWAR. You would be amazed at the stuff they have.

I agree that it would take some work to crack some of the encryption schemes, but it would be doable. As technology advances - it advances for both sides (good guys and bad). So, a 128 bit encyption, will in time, be broken. You should see some of the numbers that the boxes at my work place crunch...

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Yup... as soon as they invent a theft proof system, somebody goes and invents a better thief.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    Ok lets see, you know knowine cares about car alarms going off. So what do they do now?? Just to the friggin car. pull it up on a bed and drive away!!!

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Originally posted by SS328
    umnitza.. then I would just take a can of coke you drank.. put some tape on it.. remove your finger prints.. and use it to start your car
    don't drink coke
    OK...smarty, what if it's my hand, my voice, AND a password?
    Sure you could break all of that, but unless my car was worth $$$$$$$$ why would you?

Did you guys hear about the Boomerang 2 Tracking gizmo? Anyone have it?

http://www.boomerangtracking.com/en/...logy/boom2.asp

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    ya, I am getting a GPS tracking alarm. If you do a search on the boards you will find info on others.

My Cars
    2005 Evo VIII
    The only thing I don't like about tracking devices is that - the ability to track you. I'm not a conpiracy theorist or anything like that. I just don't want to open the door for the government to have the ability to tell where you are at all times when driving.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The whole tracking deal...

A few months ago, a rental car company installed GPS tracking devices on some of their cars and in the fine print on their contract, they noted that if you were caught exceeding the speed limit while driving their rental car, they would automatically debit you account $100 for each occurence of you breaking the posted speed limit.

One guy rented a car, didn't read the fine print... and later that day he went to go put gas in the car found out his CC was declined. Turned out he had exceeded the speed limit 12 different times that day and the rental company automatically deducted $1200 from his account thanks to GPS tracking...

Oh the fun...

My Cars
    Lots
    I sure hope they have multiple backup batteries to keep all this electronics gadgetry from turning the car into a paperweight you can't get into.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by jsp98m3
    I sure hope they have multiple backup batteries to keep all this electronics gadgetry from turning the car into a paperweight you can't get into.
    The 7series has two large batteries in the back of the car... one for engine functions and one for all the accessories in the car and now the alternators are water cooled because of the intense heat they generate.

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    If you are worried about tracking, GM and Ford have been doing it since 99. They just admitted that they installed those "black boxes" to see accident data and the such??

As far as the gov't tracking me. Oh well, shiet happens!!!

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    so much for Bluetooth as the topic.

Originally posted by Kevlar
    The whole tracking deal...

A few months ago, a rental car company installed GPS tracking devices on some of their cars and in the fine print on their contract, they noted that if you were caught exceeding the speed limit while driving their rental car, they would automatically debit you account $100 for each occurence of you breaking the posted speed limit.

One guy rented a car, didn't read the fine print... and later that day he went to go put gas in the car found out his CC was declined. Turned out he had exceeded the speed limit 12 different times that day and the rental company automatically deducted $1200 from his account thanks to GPS tracking...

Oh the fun...
    Yes, later the courts told the rental company to STOP IT! So, this nonsense is not around any more.

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    HR-M3 - welcome to the boards!!

Danke!

My Cars
    95 M3 and 03.5 M3
    Bitta (not spelled right)

My Cars
    91 318is
    1. i think the tracking devices they were talking about were to track a stolen car.
    2. nothing is theft-proof. the ideal is to make is SO difficult that it is not worth it. IE you buy $100000 of computer junk and other shit to successfully steal a $50000 car. or even a $150000 car, but it takes months to crack it, etc.....