Thread: Need Help buying an E60 M5

My Cars
    2011 ZCP E92 M3

Question Need Help buying an E60 M5

I'm planning to buy the E60 M5 by no later than next summer. the reason why im delaying my purchase is because i heard that the current first production E60 M5 has some issues with it's 7 speed SMG gearbox, so hopefully by next year such issues and bugs could be cleared up(hopefully), waiting is tuff, but it's worth it.

I remember when i forst wanted to buy the E46 M3, in 2001 the care had issues with the engine(pistons to be specifit) blowing up, and i would hate such technical issues to the plague the current M5. ofcourse i bought a 2003 M3 and it's been treating me very well

I would like to know besides the tranny issue on the M5, are there any other technical issues, glitches, bugs, build quality or anyhting of that sort that i should know of? and if any, how long should i wait till BMW resolves such issues?

my cash is waiting, i can't wait to put down a deposite to order the M5 here in the UAE the approximate delivery time is 4 to 5 months(same goes for the M6)

any imput would be highly appreciated!

thanks

Marwan

My Cars
    1995 S/C 540i/6spd 4.4L...1990 535i/5spd
    Here is my input:M5Board.com

My Cars
    2011 ZCP E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz2
    Here is my input:M5Board.com

DUH!

i only got one replay, thats why im posting here.

My Cars
    04 Mazdaspeed MX-5
    I have heard nothing of any problems with those cars. However, the SMG box in the M5/6 is an all-new design, not related (except by technology) to the previous M3 boxes (which are convred manual boxes). The possibility of their being problems is there, but that's what a warranty is for anyhow. I would say if you are worried wait until the second production year, and find a dealer that wil give you the first spot for next years allocations. Good luck, and I wish I could afford one of those beasts.
    Slow cars are quite possibly the most fun to own: you can push to extract all the performance you want on a daily basis without getting a ticket.

My Cars
    2011 ZCP E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CobaltFire
    I have heard nothing of any problems with those cars. However, the SMG box in the M5/6 is an all-new design, not related (except by technology) to the previous M3 boxes (which are convred manual boxes). The possibility of their being problems is there, but that's what a warranty is for anyhow. I would say if you are worried wait until the second production year, and find a dealer that wil give you the first spot for next years allocations. Good luck, and I wish I could afford one of those beasts.

thanks for the input man. i'm planning on purchasing the car by next summer cuz i'm a family man now!

My Cars
    E34 540iM - 93 4.0 Wrangler
    wish u the best

Moahemd
    E34 540i Manual
    Eibakh Pro Kit | Blistein Shocks | EAT Chip | Racing Dynamics Front Stressbar | Racing Dynamics Swaybar Kit | 850cis Front Brake Kit | Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Brake Rotors All Arround | Hawk Street And Racing Brake Pads |Angel Eyes | 8000k HID Xenon Kit All Arround | Plasma Coils | JB Racing Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel

SOLD!! E38 740il

Searching for E39 M5 .......

My Cars
    tank
    Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    thanks for the input man. i'm planning on purchasing the car by next summer cuz i'm a family man now!

anything for the kids!!

My Cars
    2011 ZCP E92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtiger
    anything for the kids!!

it's all about getting to soccer practice on time!

My Cars
    na
    Quote Originally Posted by marwan
    DUH!

i only got one replay, thats why im posting here.
    Maybe you could be more specific with the title of your thread like, "SMG Breakdown" or "SMG Problems", within the E60 forum. A general title like, "Need help buying and E60 M5" is easy to ignore. I thought I read a thread on this there. I think they stated they stopped production of the E60 until the problem was resolved. I think the original problem was that BMW/the distributor used the wrong molding when casting the gearbox. Basically, I believe if you buy a car built after some time around now, then you should be fine.

My Cars
    1995 S/C 540i/6spd 4.4L...1990 535i/5spd
    I will make sure to post,"I need help buying a Porche GT or Ferrari 355 Spider F1..........But I won't cause I will research myself.