Thread: does anyone else use 87 octaine on their E38?

My Cars
    E71 X6 4.4L "BatMobile"

does anyone else use 87 octaine on their E38?

I'm in the camp that higher octaine doesnt mean much... all octaines are regulated to have same cleanliness...

with that said does anyone use 87? if not what do you use and why?
    want to read something to back it up, not just well i think its better

thx

My Cars
    2005 4x4 Dodge Ram 4 Door Short Bed 325/610 CTD
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieb022000
    I'm in the camp that higher octaine doesnt mean much... all octaines are regulated to have same cleanliness...

with that said does anyone use 87? if not what do you use and why?
    want to read something to back it up, not just well i think its better

thx
    Eddie,

If you search you'll see this has been beaten to death. The bottom line is that the computer, along with the knock sensors will advance and retard the timing based upon the octane level in the fuel. The horsepower and torque ratings that BMW specifies is while running 91 octane. The owners manual even mentions that the car will perform better with higher octane. You can run 87 as the computer will retard the timing to prevent spark knock but the overall performance will not be as good.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QC SWB 4x4 G56 Patriot Blue / Silver
    Thunder Road • Roof Marker Lights • Light Group

Not Forgotten:
    1997 740iL in Vermont Green
    2003 MINI Cooper S in Chili Red

"Whoever dies having owned the most vehicles WINS!"

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Octane numbers have been "marketed" to the masses as being better or worse...BUT that is not the real meaning of octane ratings.

Octane numbers are a measure of the antiknock properties of gasoline, expressed as the percentage, by volume of isooctane that must be blended with normal heptane until the mixture has the same knock rating as the gasoline under test.

Did you note that there was nothing in the description that infered that a higher number is better or has more "cleaning" detergents?

Note the text (in yellow) lifted from the owners manual in pic below:
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-10-2005 at 06:21 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    '06 Lexus IS350
    Quote Originally Posted by jayadam63
    Welcome back, stranger.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Trnsprtr
    Welcome back, stranger.
    Hey dude!

I see the newb thread finally died. I think that was a blessing.

How are things?

Not Forgotten:

My Cars
    '06 Lexus IS350
    Hey dude!

I see the newb thread finally died. I think that was a blessing.

How are things?
    Nah, newb shoulda lived forever - or at least 'til we got some Bentley pics. Things are tolerable, no sense complaining

So are you considering picking up a BMW again? Like maybe an X5 to carry that horse in your avatar around? I'm pretty bad with names, Wolfie? He looks like he's grown pretty healthily.

My Cars
    LOL -- That's funny -- We never did get pics of the Bentley!!!

Thanks for asking about Wolfie!

Sadly -- Believe it or not Wolfie got returned to the breeder. He became agressive / dominant by 11 months and at 140 lbs he was too much to handle. By 13 months he was growling, etc... I'm not one for ever quitting on an animal and I spent probably $2,000 on specialized training (for ME and him) and I just finally decided that his temperament wasn't consistent with a normal great dane. He was my 3rd dane so I've had experience with them. The day he got to my house at 8 weeks he tried to hump me. I tried everything to let him know his place in the "pack." He just didn't get it. It was unbelievable. It even got to the point where the trainer suggested that I purchase a shock (training) collar with a remote. It was at this point when I called the breeder and explained the situation and she agreed evaluate him. After she had him for a week to evaluate him, she gave me a $1,000 refund as I didn't want a replacement from her kennel. Breeders never give money back so his case was extreme. I've emailed her and she said that he was adopted and is doing fine. I hope that's true as returning him was really difficult. A sense of failure on my part and a sense of worrry for his welfare.....

Better news tho -- Sabrina is the pooch in the avatar. She's a very well-researched acquisition (as you can imagine after the Wolfgang fiasco) and is the offspring of two finished champions bred by some reputable breeders who I got references for and where I was able to meet the parents. She's fixed so she'll never see the show ring but I wanted to be sure I got a dane whos temperament was consistent with the breed. She's a doll -- a great dog to live with. Her temperament is 100% consistent with the prior danes I've had.

Now about that X Series -- Hmm........

Not Forgotten:

Bear is offline Over-married Big Dumb Guy
    My Cars
    2006 Machine Silver Corvette C6 Coupe, 2003 745i
    I see the newb thread finally died.
    Don't temp me
    BEAR's 2012 550i Xdrive MSport from Columbus
    "It's what you can't see that really counts..."

My Cars
    '06 Lexus IS350
    Sorry about the pooch, that definitely doesn't sound like a dane - that must have felt like taking an adopted child back to the orphanage. My sister's in-laws have a house full of them (4 or 5, don't remember) - nicest critters ever, clumsy as hell though. Funny how such a big dog can think it needs to sit in your lap.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Trnsprtr
    Funny how such a big dog can think it needs to sit in your lap.
    Now that we've totally hijacked this poor guys thread we may as well just keep going with it....

Yup -- She backs up her ass and just parks it on the couch right next to you with her front paws still on the ground and then sits there like a person waiting to see what's going to happen next..... It's hysterical.

Not Forgotten:

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.
    Big dogs, Ya gotta love 'em! I'm on my second "Giant" breed dog. The first was a Kuvasz. This Great Pyr has the same problem with it's temper. It goes from mellow to violent at the drop of a hat without warning. I am the only one that can control him. I even had military trainers try to "fix" him without any luck. Still, I love him anyway. He is 7 now and starting to show his age. I just keep him away from the kids and let eveyone know he bites. Kinda sucks though. He sure looks like a big hugable polar bear!

As for the real topic here......I run 87. I have run 93 in it however and it does run MUCH better on 93. Gets about 2 mpg better and goes thru the gears much smoother. I just can't see paying $$.75 a gallon more for it.