Thread: For Z3 owners who track/autoX their cars...

My Cars
    Hondas, a RWD Scion

For Z3 owners who track/autoX their cars...

I need some information or a thread in which I could be directed to for information about tracking Z3s.

I'm looking to build a car in the next year that will eventually be an SCCA IT race car. An option I've been considering is the 1.9L Z3, but I'd like to have a little more information before I start getting serious. I don't believe I can use a Z3 6-cyl for SCCA IT racing. I cannot decide if I want to go Spec E30, E36 325, Miata, Neon, etc. I love the handling of my BMW and would like to campaign a BMW more than anything.

Anyways, for any of you that track your Z3s, what are the main things to address? Also, is it worth building an ITA Z3? Competitiveness is not my main focus at this point, but I'd like to have a nice, relatively reliable car that will help me get track educated and such.

I'm assuming the main thing I'd need to address would be getting a hardtop, the rear suspension, and the similar things as an E36 track car? I apologize, but I'm not too familiar with Z3s.

My Cars
    The Clown Shoe
    http://www.specmiata.com/

I've only owned and driven German cars and it was a little hard to take, but, as far as fun, reliable and cheap... the Miata really does seem to own.

My Cars
    Hondas, a RWD Scion
    I know I know. Spec Miata is probably my best place to start and I'm seriously considering it, but does anyone know about the Z3 1.9 as an ITA car?

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    Spec miata is a great series and is very readily available. The price and availability of it make it VERY inviting.

Personally, of the options you mentioned, I would probably like to pursue the Spec E30 series.

The point to address in a Z3 would be the same as pretty much any car. First thing, it will save time and money to buy a car someone else has already built, drive it, then address/improve where applicable. If you want to build a competitive car, then you are looking at stripping the car down then rebuilding with every possible mod/advantage allowed by the rule book.
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    MANY TO LIST
    Ditto.
    Spec e30 or spec Miata or Honda challenge.
    Buy a built car, from a pro if possible, new or used and have fun.
    If you start building the car, which is lots of fun and time and money, it might take you longer to get competitive.
    I'm looking at the same options since I can't drive my MZ3 in many series, the convertible issue.
    Road racing addict.

Juker008 don't send pm soliciting or advertising, against forum rules!!

My Cars
    Hondas, a RWD Scion
    Quote Originally Posted by BETO
    Ditto.
    Spec e30 or spec Miata or Honda challenge.
    Buy a built car, from a pro if possible, new or used and have fun.
    If you start building the car, which is lots of fun and time and money, it might take you longer to get competitive.
    I'm looking at the same options since I can't drive my MZ3 in many series, the convertible issue.
    There are plenty of old race cars for sale near me (DC area and college near Carolinas), and I likely will buy a pre-built race car if I get competitive. My "ideal" plan is to pick up a relatively stock Z3 1.9 or E36/30 325 to use at HPDEs and get track educated, keep that car while I purchase an old pro car, learn w2w with that old pro car (Neon, Honda, Miata, etc.), and then will hopefully have time/money to build the above HPDE car.

Right now, I've stuck to autoXing and corner working at DEs at my local tracks. I'm hoping to get started next spring on whatever I decide.