Thread: Ignition issue - Q's

My Cars
    1992 325i

Talking Ignition issue - Q's

I have a 1992 325i manual with 200,000k miles

I have read the forums and people have had similar problems, but I want to be sure what I need to replace.

My problem is that my car was running fine - went to shut car off and it wouldn't turn off until I wiggled the key a bit. Once it was off, it wouldn't restart and the steering wheel is locked. I did get the key out.

Is this my ignition switch, or ignition lock (tumbler). I found the info on the easy way to remove the ignition lock tumbler with a pin and to pry the ring off around the key hole.
    Once that is done, what exactly needs to be replaced - what parts will I need (besides the obvious ignition lock and new keys? The car is old and has high miles, so I will opt to get new keys with the ignition lock instead of calling in my vin for original keys. Will this be a problem?

Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    95 Daytona Violet M3/2
    you need to remove the steering lock mechanism and the tumbler, and keys

95 M3/2 DaytonaViolette` 5spd |-Hamann HM2-|-Dinan chip-|-stock-|

My Cars
    early 92 325i E36
    had the same thing go on my car, in the ghetto (i try to stay clear of this area, pretty dangerous part of town), at about 1 am, with a few hundred bucks in my pocket and my buddies car about 2 miles away. The part which failed is the tumber not the switch. But I will tell you from experience.... its not as easy to remove that thing as it seems, i tried for an hour and gave up. Its cheaper, easier, and more fun to do a push button. I did it and have yet to regret it, its my favorite thing about my car. Only about $15 and a couple hours of tinkering. Do it, you won't be disappointed.

My Cars
    1992 325i

HOW do I remove steering locking mechanism??

The biggest problem is my steering is locked. I can't unlock it and I can't remove the tumbler with the little paperclip trick because of it. Anyone know of any DIY descriptions on how to unlock the wheel?-- even if it's permanently unlocked, I don't care. Atleast I'll be able to get started.

Thanks! George

My Cars
    BMW E36 1995 325is, 198k
    I know this is an old topic, but it describes so perfectly the problem I'm having. The ignition lock in my '95 E36 with 200k turns freely. After completely disassembling the steering column, removing the wheel, and most everyhting else, I can't seem to get the assembly off. I was able to remote these wretched little headless bolts by grinding slots into them and turning with a flat head screwdriver, but the assembly still won't come off. It appears that it needs to pull towards the driver, but there seems to be a sort of retaining ring and/or bearing-like structure jast aft of the splined steering bit. I wish the paper clip in the lock trick would work, but after much fumbling with that, it appears that the lock might be too far gone for that to work. Any Ideas how to get that lock assembly off?
    Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    I have a 97 E36 with 165k miles on it that started doing this. I'll go out to the garage to leave in the morning, only to find the wheel locked and the key unable to turn to "Start". The only solution I found was to turn the key off and on while jerking the wheel around. Then it will finally "fall" into "Start" and the car starts, but the wheel remains locked. I have to shift into "D" and jerk on the wheel some more to get it to unlock.

My biggest fear is that the wheel will decide to lock while going 80+MPH on the highway on a curve!

From what I've been reading, it sounds like a tumbler issue, and sounds like a major pain to DIY. Should I try the dealer or is there some sort of "locksmith" for cars?