RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Check engine light on! NEED HELP PLEASE :)

Check engine light on! NEED HELP PLEASE :)

Hi! I have a 1998 318i, with the M44 1.9L... anyways I am driving home from work today and it is really hot out like 37oC which is about 99oF... I have the AC fully on, and I am stopped at a red light. I glance down and I see the damned "CHECK ENGINE" light on... I sigh to myself in disbelief! I think I caught it just as it turned on, and it definately wasn't there when I started...

I read in the owner's manual: "If this indicator lamp lights up during normal vehicle operation, this indicates a fault in one of the emissions related electronic circuits, you should have the systems checked by a BMW Retailer at the earliest possible opportunity."

So what can this mean!? Hopefully it will be something like an O2 sensor?? Please help, any input at all would be appricated. Oh and my car as about 60K miles on it, or 100K for us Canadian folk.

~Jacob

Oh one other thing: I had just washed my car about 10 minutes before all of this happened. I DIDN'T have the hood open or anything because I know if you soak up an ECU then you're in for it... It wasn't really a wash, more of a quick misting!

I will try in a couple of hours and see if it is still on... (pretty please be gone...)

Oh one other thing: I had just washed my car about 10 minutes before all of this happened. I DIDN'T have the hood open or anything because I know if you soak up an ECU then you're in for it... It wasn't really a wash, more of a quick misting!

I will try in a couple of hours and see if it is still on... (pretty please be gone...)

My Cars
    98 M3/2
    a gas cap not screwed on properly will through a check engine light it is common and simple. If you have filled your gas recently it might be it. It usually takes a while to reset itslef so check that and keep your fingers crossed.

My Cars
    00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Posts: -19533

washer fluid low?

i get that reading on the OBC along with the CHECK ENGINE everytime i make a hard left turn
    Marc
    Word™

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    i don't know, with 100k on the clock....it's due for a new O2. If anything it definitely pick up a few HP from a better fuel mix.
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    97 328is
    The easiest thing to do is just drive to your local Auto Zone and have them pull the engine codes for you. They now do it for free and will also tell you what the code is for. Much better than going to the $tealer and forking over a $100 dollars for them to do the same damn thing.

_pAuL_