RM European Auto Parts

Thread: where to support the engine and transmission

where to support the engine and transmission

I'm looking to replace the engine and transmission mounts but don't know exactly where to put the floor jack and wood block.
    I read some posts and descriptions saying I should support it at the "strongest point" of the oil pan and transmission.
    The Bentley manual and Hanynes manual are vague at best.
    Can anyone tell me exactly where the supports would be?
    Pictures would be very helpful if anyone has it.
    The car is a 92 325is.
    Thanks.

JN
    Last edited by virtualj; 07-13-2002 at 04:00 PM.

Where the hammers rung news cameras never come.NYC
    My Cars
    98m3, 03m3
    I used a bottle jack. I used the arm that attaches the mount to the block. Place it right under where that baraket attaches to the block. DONT USE THE OIL PAN!! if you do your looking for trouble. The transmission mounts can be replaced without any support, just make sure your not tring to do both motor and transmission mount at the same time.

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    I used the oil pan without any trouble. As long as you have a 2x4 in there to distrubute the weight it'll be fine.
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    bungy, can you relate any improvements that you saw as a result of changing the engine mounts? Also, which ones did you use? (stock? M3?)

I replaced the transmission mounts with 320i w/ aluminum cups (a la uuc enforcer) and the shift lever is substantially firmer. Of course, I picked up some additional cabin noise, but I feel the tradeoff is worth it.

Been thinking of replacing the engine mounts, and the flexible rubber coupling in the steering shaft. I really want to get that "connected" feel back into the steering that was there when the car was new. I have replaced *everything* else in the front end (including the rack) and I still am not there. Those are the only two things left...

Thanks,
    Bernman

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    I haven't actually replaced the motor or the tranny mounts. Though I really should. At almost 200k miles I bet they're getting worn out. But anyway, I had to jack up the engine a bit to get the exhaust manifold off. It wouldn't clear the frame. Why did I have to pull the manifold you ask? Well, about a year ago my clutch died. No biggie. It happens. In order to pull the tranny, you have to pull off the exhaust (a bad design IMO). Well, as is typical with exhaust removal after 9 years and 165k miles, I broke a stud. The studs are in the exhaust manifold. I tried to drill it out, but had no luck, so I wound up having it melted out and a new stud welded in by a local "artist". (He's not really an artist, but if you saw the job he did with my exhaust manifold, you'd say he is.) So that's the story of why I had to jack up my engine...
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    Thanks for the story