Thread: JC CAI heat shield question ???

Question

I have JC CAI System...... I notice is still
    pretty hot inside the shield itself (after driving).
    What kind of meterial can be use for more heat
    protection in addtition to JC CAI shield.

Thanks

wrap it w/ metal insulating tape. My ECIS has fuzzy stuff on the outside. Looks kinda funny, but it insulates well. Stays cool inside the box, but feels hot on the outside!

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Originally posted by Saully
    I have JC CAI System...... I notice is still
    pretty hot inside the shield itself (after driving).
    What kind of meterial can be use for more heat
    protection in addtition to JC CAI shield.

Thanks
    The fuzzy stuff does insulate pretty well.. another good thing to do is to remove the water ingestion flap.. that'll direct more cold air right over the cone keeping the intake bay cooler.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    d
    i've thought about removing the flap... is that really a safe thing to do considering heavy downpours and stuff? i get paranoid when it gets moist and all in there after a drive in the rain... this is a permanent sever, right?

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Originally posted by ToM3
    i've thought about removing the flap... is that really a safe thing to do considering heavy downpours and stuff? i get paranoid when it gets moist and all in there after a drive in the rain... this is a permanent sever, right?
    Yeah, but if u look at the path of the air.. the cone is no where close enough to the front of the car for the water to even touch the cone. If water splashed at the area, it'll hit the heatshield and slide away. Its not a direct path, it curves to the right then over the cone. Ive had it done like this for years and went through a few floods and bad storms/downpours.

I wouldnt do remove the flap if I still had a stock airbox. yes its permanent.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

Yeah, I'm "flapless" too. It is permanent. However, the mod is almost impossible to detect visually, so warranty/resale is not an issue. I've driven through monsoons at high speeds, w/ trucks spashing gobs of water into my grill area. When I pulled over for gas - I popped the hood to check the filter/box and found no water in the air box or near the filter whatsoever. I've power-washed the front of my car (carefully) and found no water near the filter. Willy is correct, the fan shroud and other stuff deflects the water so that it does not get a straight shot into the box/filter area. It is a cheap, quick, easy and effective, no risk mod.

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    If you check out AA's website, their CAI has insulation on both sides. Some kind of foamy insulation.
    In the slow lane

Talking I removed my water baffles too

Yes it is definitely the cheapest way to gain HP....
    It rain on my way home yesterday. I got home
    check my cone filter no sign of water.

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Originally posted by frayed
    If you check out AA's website, their CAI has insulation on both sides. Some kind of foamy insulation.
    Uh.. Who do u think ECIS gets their intakes/shields from.. ECIS!
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Originally posted by Willy

Uh.. Who do u think ECIS gets their intakes/shields from.. ECIS!
    Actually AA sells their very own intake as well as the ECIS intake. the AA one cost $100 more, comes with a chrome/polished cover (that I don't care for), and a K&N knockoff filter.

They may very well use the same heat shield; I'm not sure on this point.
    In the slow lane

spend $16 @ Pep Boys on some firewall material (you get a huge roll, something like 4'x8', it's reflective aluminum foil with fiber reinforce on one side and green fiberglass insulation material on the other) and some 3M contact cement also @ Pep Boys. It works awesome. Put the green side toward the CAI Shield on the engine side so when u put the shield in, the shinny stuff is facing the engine. I used it on my 540 when I had the Dinan CAI. It looks okay if you trim it nicely, or you can touch it up with some aluminum or black color paint to cover the green stuff.
    AlexT

95 BMW M3 RIP
    My '95 M3

99 BMW M-Coupe
    My '99 M-Coupe

98 BMW 540iA Sport
    My '98 540iA Sport