Thread: I want to change my tranny fluid... What's the final word on what to use in a manual?

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330

Question I want to change my tranny fluid... What's the final word on what to use in a manual?

I hear use ATF, use MTL because you're in California and you don't have any cold mornings, I hear use Redline, I hear don't use Redline, Royal Purple, etc etc etc...

WHAT THE HELL DO I PUT IN MY TRANSMISSION???

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfan824
    TC does not want ghey hookers you silly.

My Cars
    95' M3, 97' 328i
    Did the person who told you not to use RedLine explained why?
    Check this article maybe it will clear the things up…

1997 328I sport package
    | RAID Steering Wheel | AA CAIS | AA Gen III Exhaust | SPAX Spring Kit | MEYLE Control Arms with Full-Metal Ball Joints and M3 bushings | BREMBO Rotors | Magnum Teflon SS Brake Lines | G2 Caliper Paint | M3 Bumpers, Door Moldings, Mirrors, Spoiler | M3 Double Spoke Wheels | M3 Motor Mounts | Stellar Keyless Entry | Euro Clear Tail Lights and Corners | DEPO Euro Headlights with Krypton Blue 6000k H1 Bulbs |

1995 M3
    | Work in progress |

My Cars
    BMW 318is, 1993, 5 speed
    I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. It works great. I believe that manual transmissions require ATF.

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Green318is
    I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. It works great. I believe that manual transmissions require ATF.
    Same here. Mobil 1 ATF > ALL.

My Cars
    E60 530xi - E53 4.4
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Bimmer
    Same here. Mobil 1 ATF > ALL.
    :werd

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    this was discussed in this thread

I think the bottom line is 98 and newer cars use 75W90 gear lube, earlier e36's use ATF. There should be a label on the transmission that states ATF ot MTL-1 or MTL-2.

I've read comments that Redline is not API certified, but Royal Purple is API certified. I'm not sure what that means, except that RP paid to have their products tested.

FWIW, I used Redline in the transaxle of my 944 and I have RP in the transmission of the 98 323. Both seem to be good.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964