Thread: windows only work for few seconds! help please

My Cars
    89 e34, 76' 280z, 95' nissan altima, 2001 denali,

Angry windows only work for few seconds! help please

Hello, and I hope someone out there has had the same problem and can help me out. basically I have an 89' 5 series that after I installed a radio windows will only work after the ignition is switched on, the windows only work until the Chime stops and the display says "check Control". How could just installing a radio affect the power windows and why the heck do they work for just a few seconds, I think the problem is unrelated but have no clue what controls the power windows and why do they stop after the chime turns off. has anyone experienced this problem? any help is appreciated.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Does the radio still work properly ? Can the windows work when you turn the radio off ?

This might or might not have anything to do with it, but check your fusible link.small black box on a cable that runs to the interior, attached to the front of the passenger side strut tower) -- it sounds like it's cracked and losing power at times.

fusible link is the tiny metal plate.

My Cars

Unhappy window problems

Actually the readio works, the heater blower, mirrors, and sunroof all work while the windows do not. I thought if it was the fusible link that none of the other stuff would work. What is weird is that I can make the windows work by cycling the ignition off-on and they are fine but what I noticed is that when the Chime turns off the windows do too. I just ordered the service manual from amazon so maybe it will also help in isolating this problem. I found another link somewhere online with the exact same symptoms online but he also didn't get any replies, I really don't see how the radio would cause this problem. frustrating for sure..

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    I suggested the fusible link because when mine started going bad, my radio would work, yet my windows wouldnt and vice versa -- all at random.

Only thing I could suggest before you get that manual is to try and put the old radio back in and see if it keeps doing the same thing.

My Cars

fusible links

hey do you know if these fusible links are available like at autozone or are thery BMW parts only?