Thread: Aux fan does not stay on after car shut off?

My Cars
    None

Aux fan does not stay on after car shut off?

Both my mom's 5 (02 530i) and my bosses (01 540i) have aux fans that stay on after the car has been shut off. I'm not sure of the reasons as to why the fan stays on, but that doesnt really matter.

My question is, why does the electric aux fan on my 00 528i never stay on after I shut off the car?
    In fact, how can I tell if the fan is even on with the car on?

My Cars
    2001 540i 6
    Thats a good question. My 2001 540i doesnt turn on either
    I Technik I Gruppe M I RD I O.Z. I UUC I

My Cars
    None
    bump?

Thanks in advance

My Cars
    None
    My 99 540i-6's fan never stays on.

My Dad's 99 740i's fan ALWAYS stays on.

Very curious about this one....

-George

SOLD: 2002 Carbon Black M5 | Pics | M-Audio | Dinan S1 Software | 275 PS2s All Around | Straight Pipes
    Visit My DeviantArt Gallery

My Cars
    88 E30 M3, 95 E36 M3
    The aux fan activate when the a/c is activated, recirc button is pressed or when the car reaches full operating temp. The fan will continue to run when the engine is turned off and the key is on, when the key is taken out or ignition is off, the the fan turns off. A fan that is always on is a cooling problem, you might want to get it looked at. Aux fans are pretty loud, you will hear it when it is on, not when driving of course. Best time to hear it is when you are in stop and go traffic with the windows down, or just run the a/c. If you want, you can start the car, get it warmed up and let it idle, whe it reached FOT, then it will turn on, get a comfy seat and a cup of coffee, it will take a while at just idle.

Dan is offline My real name is Charles
    My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4
    Quote Originally Posted by bmrtech
    The aux fan activate when the a/c is activated, recirc button is pressed or when the car reaches full operating temp. The fan will continue to run when the engine is turned off and the key is on, when the key is taken out or ignition is off, the the fan turns off. A fan that is always on is a cooling problem, you might want to get it looked at. Aux fans are pretty loud, you will hear it when it is on, not when driving of course. Best time to hear it is when you are in stop and go traffic with the windows down, or just run the a/c. If you want, you can start the car, get it warmed up and let it idle, whe it reached FOT, then it will turn on, get a comfy seat and a cup of coffee, it will take a while at just idle.
    wouldn't the loud aux fan mean it's ready to go kaput?

My Cars
    None
    No
    My mom's 02 530i aux fan stays on when the engine is hot and the car has been shut off
    IE, if shes been running the AC for awhile with the car idling, when she shuts off the car the fan will run for about 5 mins until the car is cooled (or something).

If I re-enact this exact same situation in my car (00 528i), it does not stay on.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3, 95 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    wouldn't the loud aux fan mean it's ready to go kaput?
    Depends on your meaning of loud, on E39 M5's the aux fan is VERY loud, it doesn't mean it's going out. Sqeaking, rattling, inconsistent operation, that all means bad pusher fan, but there are always exceptions to the rule.

My Cars
    99 540i
    My Aux fan never stays on after I shut the car off.
    1999 540i Sport

My Cars
    None
    anyone?