Thread: Thinking of Buying SS Exhaust

Question

I am considering buying a super sprint exhaust for my 1996 318ti.

Here is a link to one site that I am looking to buy it from for approximately $450: http://www.bmpd.com/bmw/parts/catalo...print_7a.shtml

What do you think of this system? And do you know where I might get a better deal on one?

Thanks.
    James - 318ti

My Cars
    just an old 328
    There isnt much of a choice for a Ti.. I have a SS on my 328i.. Its the quietest exhaust u can get for a BMW with the nicest tips. Quality made as well.. u cant go wrong with a SS unless u want a LOUD exhaust. They're surpose to flow better than a Stock M3 exhaust..??Dont really know.. advertising.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    96 M3

Moon well.....

I have the SS twin DTM on my 318i. It is pretty quiet, meaning it doesnt make the 4 banger sound like a honda...but above 3000 rpm it gets louder, esp when it is nice and hot like on the freeway....you definetly can hear it ..

My Cars
    95 M3 S/C
    anyone have a sound clip of this exhaust on a 318 ?? Y'all folks say its quiet but is it sporty sounden ??
    i might be 318 power but i dont wanna sound like wussy power.....

PECivil u have any pics of your tips ?
    2011 Toyota Highlander (wife)
    2002 X5 4.6is - 225,000 (Dead)
    2001 Toyota 4runner
    1995 S/C M3 - 99,000 miles
    1995 525i - 244,000 miles (sold)
    1999 528iT Touring - 175,000 (sold)
    1992 318is - 325,000 miles (Sold)
    1986 325e - 180,000 (sold)

Home: Bay Area, California |||| College: UCSB
    Ive researched alot on SS and would recommend it if you like a stock sounding exhaust... but for me its too quiet. It is "quiet" meaning it has a stock tone (little or none), however unlike stock it has a very characteristic rumble in low rpms... I have an audio clip of SS exhaust, not from a 318i, but you can get a basic idea of the sound. Its either a .wav or .mp3 and only 142kb... just ask and Ill email it to you... my email is braxus8@aol.com.
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    96 M3

Moon austin

no i dont have a diggy camera YET, but I scored it used off the roadfly board... I wouldn't have picked the DTM tips vs the flat ones if I had gotten it new they are VERY noticeable but I like the sound cause you can hear it and it definetly sounds different than stock, very low and throaty like a sports car should sound but not that high tiney ricer honda sound, everybody here sayz SS arepretty quiet and I don't disagree, but on the freeway when its hot esp above 3500 rpms its nice and throaty when u get on the gas. Overall I'm very pleased with it
    and would get a SS again. Plus the fit wuz nuts on perfect, everything lined up, flange fit perfect and it took like 15minutes to put on, that sayz these guys have their shit together. Hope this helps
    monte

My Cars
    just an old 328

Re: austin

Originally posted by PECivil
    no i dont have a diggy camera YET, but I scored it used off the roadfly board... I wouldn't have picked the DTM tips vs the flat ones if I had gotten it new they are VERY noticeable but I like the sound cause you can hear it and it definetly sounds different than stock, very low and throaty like a sports car should sound but not that high tiney ricer honda sound, everybody here sayz SS arepretty quiet and I don't disagree, but on the freeway when its hot esp above 3500 rpms its nice and throaty when u get on the gas. Overall I'm very pleased with it
    and would get a SS again. Plus the fit wuz nuts on perfect, everything lined up, flange fit perfect and it took like 15minutes to put on, that sayz these guys have their shit together. Hope this helps
    monte
    Agreed, its definitly louder than stock, stock sounding would be a M3 exhaust. The SS is deeper and more toned than a stock. At around 1800rpms when its warm, it can be pretty loud. When u get WOT, it sounds pretty damn good. The interior of the car insulated the sound a lot, since its been warmer out and I've been driving with my windows and sunroof down.. Ive been noticing my exhaust a lot more. ITs not that quiet anymore. Its not loud either.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

My Cars
    95 M3 S/C
    i wanna see sum pics of the DTM tips plez, also wheres cheapest place for SS exhaust ??
    2011 Toyota Highlander (wife)
    2002 X5 4.6is - 225,000 (Dead)
    2001 Toyota 4runner
    1995 S/C M3 - 99,000 miles
    1995 525i - 244,000 miles (sold)
    1999 528iT Touring - 175,000 (sold)
    1992 318is - 325,000 miles (Sold)
    1986 325e - 180,000 (sold)

This site has the cheaper SS Exhaust $447.95 Single tip: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/catalog/catalog.htm
    James - 318ti

My two cents

I have the SS exhaust with the twin 70 (?) mm tips.

It looks great. Very high quality appearance. Noticeable to any enthusiast but not showy (regular folks won't see anything special).

I agree with Jon (Anfanger) about the sound. Mine sounds stock, even when warm. There is a slight difference in the low aural ranges. It winds up sounding like a tougher version of the stock system.

Not something I recommend if you want flashy or loud, or if you like people to hear you rev at stoplights.

I don't know about other tip option - just the twin round tips.

Damon
    1994 325ic SC
    supersprint exhaust
    BMWCCA

My Cars
    just an old 328
    Originally posted by Austin
    i wanna see sum pics of the DTM tips plez, also wheres cheapest place for SS exhaust ??
    The DTM tips on the SS are strange looking.. they bend up.. not angle up. The tips curve up instead of coming to an angle then shooting up. I gotta find a pic to show u what i mean.
    06' BMW 530xi
    02' Porsche 911 Carrera
    11' BMW X3

Maybe there is a big difference in how much of a difference the SS makes on a 318, as opposed to a 325. It sounds like from all the posts i've read lately, that the SS exhuast is appreciated a little more by the 318ers. Our stock exhuasts sound so shitty and flat in the first place, that it might make a bigger difference. I don't no for sure cause i don't have one yet, but I would be interested to hear a side by side comparison of the two.This way, the 318ers aren't getting opinions that apply to 325s. :
    95 318is
    ecis cold air intake
    Supersprint exhaust
    Clear corners all around
    indiglo gauges
    JC chip

SS exhaust

i ordered mine from modacar.com recently, cost me 488, twin 76mm...havnt gotten it in yet htough cause i think it takes a while...for people how have ordered one recently, how long did it take to get in and from where??

Got my twin tip SS for 325 in March 2001. Got it from Turner Motorsports, i think, and it came pretty much right away. (I can give exact details when I get home on Sunday, if anyone still cares then).

Damon
    1994 325ic SC
    supersprint exhaust
    BMWCCA

My Cars
    2003 AW M5
    dont feel like reading all the followups......but just to throw in my 3 cents worth....i paid $490 including shipping with a 3 year "bumper to bumper" warranty against ANYTHING wrong with the exhaust. got it from www.perfauto.com heres a pic of it if anyone wants to see the 2x76mm tips in action: