Thread: KONI SPORT SA's Installed: Report Back

My Cars
    '98 M3 Sedan

KONI SPORT SA's Installed: Report Back

Well I tackled the job this last weekend with the aid some friends power and air tools. Here are some brief factoids/thoughts.

INSTALL:
    1.) as another post referenced accurately, you need air tools with about 400LBS of pressure, a regular old portable just won't do. I ended up using my long breaker bar and ratchet and did just fine.

2.) definitely use a power grinder with a rotary wheel to cut the stock strut tubes. It slices through like butter. I can't imagine trying to do the job with a hack saw, let alone a dremmel.

3.) definiely use a floor jack to hold up the rear trailing arm when doing the rear struts. BTW - I installed the Rogue Engineering RSMs and they were beautiful.

4.) The first round of trying to figure out the necessary tools and procedures for the first front strut took about 6 hours (keep in mind I had to eat lunch, dinner and get interrupted by my 5 year old). The second only took 45 minutes total.

RESULT:
    I installed the KONIs along with the Rogue RSM and four new Fuzion tires (225/45 and 245/40) and the car is transformed. These run in conjunction with H&R OE Sport springs and stock sway bars plus an X-brace.

Settings: I decided to use another members suggestion of setting the rear shocks to medium firmness. I kept the fronts at soft.

Ride: The ride is taught and comfortably firm, the way it should have been from the factory! It feels like a stock 911 does off the showroom floor. Not by any means bone jarring or too stiff. On the freeway the car is glass smooth and rides much better than the factory shocks did. All of the little up and down bounces are gone. Note that you feel cracks in the road and uneven surfaces give more of a rumble, but I still prefer the ride any day. Also, the stiffness of the shocks also make the car "jar" more over large cracks or lips in the concrete, but you learn to expect it and it is well worth the tradeoff.

Handling: The handling is again what it should have been out of the factory. I'm used to an e30 M3 with Bilsteins and Eibach Sports and now the handling of the e36 is getting closer its big brother. I now feel that I can throw the car into turns with out fearing that I am going to plow through the turn or just mush through the tires past their limit.

The Medium setting on the rear shocks has also helped reduce the understeer drastically. The car is much mire well balanced now. I am still interested to see what I can do to improve the handling via adjusting the front or possibly messing with stiffer sway bars or stiffer springs. The weight of the car is just its biggest drawback. Anyone who has driven an e30 M3 knows that those cars are jsut more "tossable".

Good luck.
    '98 M3 Sedan, Cosmos Black w/ Dove

My Cars
    2016 340i xDrive
    Good info! I'm planning on getting these and have heard they're not as stiff as the Bilsteins. I found a contact that can get me a set for $360... does that sound like a good deal?

My Cars
    88 M3(sold)
    That does not sound like a good deal, it sounds like a great deal. I just picked up mine for $539 to my door.

My Cars
    997 GT3, E90 M3, E46 ZHP
    Wow where can you get them for 360 a set, i'm definetely in at that price.

Also Jengah, what springs do you have with the SA?

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 E36

Great to Hear!

I am about to do the same mod to my 99 E36 M3. I wondered how the RE RSMs would install. I am glad to hear that went well. I will use your tips in mind!

Did you or do we have to worry about camber adjustments because of lowering the car? I would hate to wear out my tires early. I plan to do this modification this weekend. I can't wait to have the ride you felt, since I feel my suspension is sloppy (especially with the blown RSMs that I have).

Can you post a picture of how your car looks now? Front, back , and side?

CAscrnwrtr74

My Cars
    E36
    I too am interested in the source for $360 a set, if it is not too much trouble.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    E28, E30, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTART
    I too am interested in the source for $360 a set, if it is not too much trouble.
    Thanks!
    Me too!! Please let us know!!
    BMW E28, E30, E39 M5
    Ferrari F355 GTB

My Cars
    2016 340i xDrive
    Guys, I met another bimmerforums guy at a cruise-in in Cincinnati last night. His friend has a friend that works for a Bob Sumeral, and that's his price. I don't think I can really buy more than one set at that price, but I'll ask.

My Cars
    E36
    Well, thanks and if anyone reading this knows of any low priced sources for Konis, please let us know.

My Cars
    e36M3/4, e60 525, e39
    btw: RE RSMs were the best IMO, i also had GC RSMs and these felt a lot more sturdy

[SIZE="1"]1997 M3/4/5 18x8.5 Hartge Classics, F1 Stage 2 Clutch Kit
    :one This Year :: Koni inserts, HR Sport, Rogue RSM, Ball Joints, Powerflex LCAB, Adjustable Sway Links (DIY), Headliner, MM Underpanel, 3 spoke wheel swap, BavSound Speakers, Bluetooth radio adapter

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 E36

The Best Price I've Found

is $805.oo for Koni Sport and H&R Sport springs from shox.com for a 99 E36 M3

My Cars
    '98 M3 Sedan
    A few answers....

a.) I have the H&R OE Sport Springs

b.) I searched high and low and found the best price hands down is from a guy on ebay that sells a LOT of KONIs. Do a search, you'll find him.

c.) I'll try to post a picture in the next day or two.

d.) re Bilsteins, these are not as jarring as the Bilsteins and the best part is they can be if I need them to be when I go to the track or take the baby seat out for some backhill twisties!!!

My Cars
    '98 M3 Sedan
    I went into the install without knowing the specs of my car, but my tires were wearing perfectly flat. My fronts were a different story though. I am going in for an alignment tomorrow AM and will report back what they were at and what I chose. The right front tire was totally worn away, almost 1/4 inch of the rubber just wore away after a few months of some heavy driving, but the majority of the tire had good meat left on it after 10,000 miles. I think I might have a bent steering arm or a toe adjustment that is out of wack.

My Cars
    2016 340i xDrive
    Can anyone tell me where the adjustment knob is for the rear shocks? Is it accessible from under the car, or do I have to pull the trunk liner back?

My Cars
    DSP E46 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by uansari1
    Can anyone tell me where the adjustment knob is for the rear shocks? Is it accessible from under the car, or do I have to pull the trunk liner back?
    The standard rear Konis don't have external adjustment. You have to remove, disassemble, and compress them to adjust.

I got the TCKline revalved and converted rear shocks so they are externally adjustable. If you did this as well, the way to adjust them is to peel back the carpet and go to town. I cut a tiny hole in the carpet for this reason.

JV

My Cars
    2016 340i xDrive
    I was actually referring to a set of the adjustable Koni's, not the standard.

My Cars
    DSP E46 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by uansari1
    I was actually referring to a set of the adjustable Koni's, not the standard.
    They're all adjustable. I gave instructions for adjusting them if you have the TCKline externally adjustable ones.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 E36

Any other parts needed outside what comes with the Koni, H&R, and RE RSMs?

JENGAH

What PARTS did you find you needed to have outside of the Koni SA, H&R Sport springs, and RE RSMs to do the complete job (i.e., gaskets, nuts, bolts, lube, anything)?

I am afraid I will be stuck Sunday without something I will need.

Thanks!

My Cars
    '98 M3 Sedan
    Best advice I can give you is to do a search and look for the really good write ups. I remember druidhill being one of them and also on on the FAQ list.

Critical Tools List:
    - (2) Jack Stands
    - Floor jack
    - 18mm Socket (make sure you have one 'cuz most tool sets don't come with one)
    - Long Ratchet
    - Vice
    - Bucket for shock oil
    - Drill
    - 1/8" and 1/2" drill bits for metal
    - metric wrench and socket set
    - spring compressors for front springs

Recommended Tool List:
    - Rotary Grinder/Cutter (this is way better than using a hacksaw or Dremmel tool)
    - Air gun or impact rench (helps in freeing shock bolt and putting bolts back on)
    - Torque wrench
    - rat tail file
    - Red and Blue Loctite
    - strong wire or rope to hang front caliper (or a paint can is about the right height to support it)
    - liquid wrench

Good luck

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 E36

Today is a good day

I FINALLY ordered my suspension! Koni Sport and H&R sport setup. I don't track so I didn't go for the coilovers.

Getting ready to cut some metal..... I can't wait for the (ala Beastie Boys) "mmmm..drop!"

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by John V
    They're all adjustable. I gave instructions for adjusting them if you have the TCKline externally adjustable ones.
    Ground Control also sells the rear external adjustables.

If you want a very good deal on a spring/Koni shock kit, check this one out:

http://www.pure-motorsport.com/produ...63/CA=187/PA=7

I started a thread on this kit a while back, you can do a search for it. The rear shocks are "standard" adjustable, not externally adjustable.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    06 Infiniti M45, 02 Odyssey
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Pete
    Ground Control also sells the rear external adjustables.

If you want a very good deal on a spring/Koni shock kit, check this one out:

http://www.pure-motorsport.com/produ...63/CA=187/PA=7

I started a thread on this kit a while back, you can do a search for it. The rear shocks are "standard" adjustable, not externally adjustable.
    That is a great price. Are the struts in the Vogtland M3 kit M3-specific, in that they have welded-on w/sway bar tabs?
    Grant
    Sold - 98 M3/4

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantbo
    That is a great price. Are the struts in the Vogtland M3 kit M3-specific, in that they have welded-on w/sway bar tabs?
    you will not find ANY koni with those M3 tabs unless you buy the coilovers. All E36 M3 non-coilover Konis are INSERTS. You cut the top of the stock strut off, pull the guts out, drill a hole in the bottom of the strut housing, stick the Koni insert into the empty housing and bolt it in through the hole you cut in the bottom. THere are a ton of DIY websites on this, and countless threads here.

If you read the first post, this is what he's talking about.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    06 Infiniti M45, 02 Odyssey
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Pete
    you will not find ANY koni with those M3 tabs unless you buy the coilovers. All E36 M3 non-coilover Konis are INSERTS. You cut the top of the stock strut off, pull the guts out, drill a hole in the bottom of the strut housing, stick the Koni insert into the empty housing and bolt it in through the hole you cut in the bottom. THere are a ton of DIY websites on this, and countless threads here.

If you read the first post, this is what he's talking about.
    Yes, all the Konis or non-coilver pkgs that I've seen to date use Koni inserts. That said, it's been some time since I looked into the Vogtland kit, so I had to ask. Many folks, such as myself, would be interested in a true bolt-on, non-coil over kit. Chris at understeer and Edge motorworks both cut/gut Konis for a fee, so there are at least 2 options out there.
    Grant
    Sold - 98 M3/4