Thread: Removed steering rack adjustment bolt, did I just break my steering rack?

My Cars
    1997 328i

Removed steering rack adjustment bolt, did I just break my steering rack?

So, in my eager attempt to fix my power steering leak by adding the appropriate number of new washers to my banjo connections, I inadvertently unscrewed the 22mm rack adjustment bolt completely off and then replaced it... so, now I have no idea what position the bolt started in relative to what position it is in now... I've been reading up on it, and people are saying even 1/8 of a turn on that thing can make a major change in your steering. Since the car is in the air still, and I haven't driven it at all yet, lay it on me guys; how messed up will my steering be, and is there a DIY fix to get it back to normal?

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Turn the wheel lock to lock. If you don't have smooth pursuit, back it out 1/8th at a time, then go lock to lock. Repeat until there is no binding.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    It turned really smoothly while on the jack stands... we will see once I drive it in the next few days. Maybe I got lucky... Crossing my fingers!

Thanks for the help PITT.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    No problem, a big tell it that the wheel doesn't self center after a turn. Go to a parking lot, begin a slow circle and let the wheel go. If it stays tuning and doesn't try to straighten out, you can back it out alittle*

Obviously your car isn't going to snap back to bead center, but it should be trying. Know what I mean?