Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clutch not fully disengaging 96 328i

My Cars
    1996 328i

clutch not fully disengaging 96 328i

After driving with a clunk in the rear for some time, I finally had my car checked out. Turns out the clutch is not fully disengaging.

The clunk happens when I am pressing on the clutch and put the car in gear, mainly first and reverse.

Is there any way I can get rid of this clunk?
    And how do I know if the clutch is disengaging all the way?
    And what is the fix if it is not?
    thanks in advance

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by thisdavidg
    After driving with a clunk in the rear for some time, I finally had my car checked out. Turns out the clutch is not fully disengaging.

The clunk happens when I am pressing on the clutch and put the car in gear, mainly first and reverse.

Is there any way I can get rid of this clunk?
    And how do I know if the clutch is disengaging all the way?
    And what is the fix if it is not?
    thanks in advance
    Depends on what is clunking. This may or may not be fixed by making sure the clutch fully disengages. But since you know this is a problem, and it needs to be fixed, that would be the place to start.

Do you why the clutch does not disengage?

When the clutch does not disengage, it is usually difficult to shift gears at idle with the engine running.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    1996 328i
    it doesn't seem to be more difficult to shift with the engine on. I think that maybe the clutch is barely not fully disengaging. His does not happpen all the time. But most of the time I do hear the clunk.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    My car clunks too and it's normal.... e36's with open diffs do it but M3's with LSD do not. I don't think it's anything to be concerned with unless it gets very loud?

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Does your car have a clutch stop installed? If so, get rid of it quickly as you do not want to cause any damage to your transmission. If the clutch is just plain not working and gears are clunking as a result, it would be be a very good idea to stop driving he car until you get the clutch fixed. Replacing the transmission is no easy task, and it's not cheap to pay someone to do it either.

My Cars
    BMW 318IS, VW Beetle, MGB Tourer

and it's normal........

It's not normal for a transmisson, or diff to clunk

My Cars
    1996 328i
    sounds like it's coming from the diff. Could the clutch not disengaging all the way be the reason for a clunk near the diff. I don't have a clutch stop and I do have an open diff.

My Cars
    96 328iS
    i get the clunking sound also. seems to me that the clunking is coming from the back of the car and it isnt hard at all to get the car in gear. the clunking doesnt sound bad at all but it is noticeable and only happens when you come to a complete stop and then put it into first. any ideas what it could be?

Limited Slip

My Cars
    1996 328i
    exactly

My Cars
    '97 328i
    So where are we at with this? Normal? Not?

Mine 'clunks' sometimes, usually when I'm rolling to a stop and put the clutch in and go into first after I'm stopped with the clutch still in. Sounds like it's from the rear. And yes, I've checked all the suspension stuff, no noises going down the road too.

And I can be completely stopped - dead still - and put it into first and it'll still do it, and the clutch pedal is to the floor. So one could assume that there's no connection to the tranny, and since I'm not moving, the diff should be at a standstill.

I was playing around with it yesterday, and it seems that if I wait a sec or two (after I come to a complete stop) it won't do it. Also, my clutch master cylinder leaks a tad, about a teaspoon every couple of months. But my shifting is fine, it goes into gear no problem.

So I'm going to go ahead and replace the master cylinder and do the CDV delete at the same time and see if that makes a difference. That's all I can come up with at this point.

And I guess there could be other things at work here. Perhaps when you transition from neutral into first quickly the idler shaft in the tranny is still moving a bit? In the diff? A bit of slop in the CV joints?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    In my experience, CV joints (not in BMWs) make a clunk when turning. It's usually the opposite side from the turn. Noise when turning left means the right CV joint is bad.
    Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    '97 328i
    Nothing when turning.. and besides, they're in the rear so they only move up and down..

My Cars
    1996 328i
    could the cdv delete take care of the problem?

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    So the shop wont tell you what part(s) need replacing?

My Cars
    1996 328i
    just said that the reason for the clunk was because the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way. that's all they said. Also, it'd probably go away when I need a new clutch. My clutch is in very good shape and they see no reson to replace it just for a clunk. It would just be nice to figure this out though. There's gotta be a way to adjust where the clutch disengages. And I don't meen at the pedal.

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    Maybe your slave cylinder is bad, or you have a slave cylinder fluid problem?

My Cars
    1996 328i
    would bleeding the clutch possibly fix the problem, and if so should I do the cdv delete at the same time?

My Cars
    '05 Ram 1500
    It wouldn't hurt to bleed your clutch, if you know how to do it. It would be a cheap fix if that was the actual problem, but I'm thinking it's most likely a worn clutch and or flywheel. If you have a CDV, then I would say get rid of it at the same time. That thing is garbage.

My Cars
    '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Bimmer
    .. I'm thinking it's most likely a worn clutch and or flywheel..
    I'm not sure that I agree with this, at least in my case. My clutch works prefectly fine, and the clunk - when it does it - is from the back of the car. So even if his clutch is toast, there's still something clunking that shouldn't be.

I have another theory (again - at least in my case) that the tranny might still be spinning a tad and moving it to another gear causes some slack to be taken up in the drivetrain (in the u-joint or CVs). In my car, it seems to only clunk if I move it from one gear down to first quickly while stopped. And it's not even consistent, I can go days without it happening.

So this would say that the clutch may be dragging a tad, so maybe it's not a case of it not fully disengaging, but disengaging slowly. So back to the slave cylinder moving slow, possibly from a small leak in the hydraulic circuit, or clogging. Maybe the CDV is restricted?

My 2 cents.. I'm going to do the CDV delete as well and see what it does.

My Cars
    1993 318is
    Pardon me for asking, but does CDV stand for. Do I have one in my car?

-percious
    www.percious.com

My Cars
    '97 328i
    Clutch Delay Valve - a fitting put inline with the clutch hydraulics that's essentially a restrictor. The supposed purpose is to buffer the actuation of the slave cylinder to smooth out clutch engagement. But in reality it makes the takeup point wander and some say that the slight slipping it introduces can actually accelerate wear of the clutch disc.

As to whether yours has one I don't know. They were on some models in various locations. Someone else here may know.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    AlGee,

It looks like we might have the same problem. If you get rid of your clunk, let me know how you did it. I'll do the same. It'd be nice if it was the cdv. I think there's a good chance the cdv delete will help.

My Cars
    '97 328i
    Will do - some of the earlier posts indicate that others have had this and haven't had anything bad happen, but I'm the paranoid perfectionist type.

You also seem to be getting it more severely than me - right now it's more of an occasional curiosity for me, but I had planned on doing the CDV delete for a while anyway. And like I said in an earlier post, my clutch master weeps a bit of fluid, so I know it's not completely airtight. And I might as well replace that while I've got the system cracked open.

I may get to it this weekend, not sure yet..

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by AJGee
    Nothing when turning.. and besides, they're in the rear so they only move up and down..
    Yes the rear wheels only move up and down, but when you turn, the wheels load up differently. The knocking during turns is a diagnostic for bad CV joints.
    Steve
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    1996 328i
    My clunk happens even when I'm not going anywhere. Even at idle when I put in the clutch, as soon as I go to reverse or first the clunk happens. This doesn't happen all the time, just most of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast