Thread: How many times has your radar detector NOT saved you?

My Cars
    02 m roadster

How many times has your radar detector NOT saved you?

hey guys i was wondering, i know many people detectors have saved them quite a few times, but how many times has your detector failed on you? I'm guessing for most, it's probably with laser right?

Share some of your stories about them, thanks
    BALLERWERKS

My Cars
    e30/36/46 325/M3/330
    Got fucked up the ass by a CHP airplane... radar can't save you from the eye in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by dallasfan824
    TC does not want ghey hookers you silly.

My Cars
    everywhere
    3 this year so far, last year I think I got 5. That's with V1, LidaTek, scanner and PBA card. Usually I get out of them. Otherwise I go to court.

I drive very fast everywhere. No saftey speech needed.

Dysphunxion,

What scanner do you use? And would you recommend that one or a different one?

Thanks

My Cars
    everywhere
    I use the Uniden BC-780XLT in combination with my in-car computer running WinScan software that helps filter out some of the worthless chatter and does some other stuff. You don't have to have a computer for it to work well either, I'm just a HAM geek. :

BTW- It's the best in-car scanner around.

My Cars
    '09 Mini Cooper
    well just this weekend i got nailed by a cop, the radar detector did not help me coz he activated it only after seeing me. But he let me off with a warning
    btw i was doing 60 in 45 zone.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    1... but it was my own fault. I was behind a moving truck trying to get by... as soon as I saw the opening, I zipped left and the radar detector went crazy (the moving truck was blocking the radar signal i guess). the cop got me... communist.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    the times radar didnt help I got lucky..

basically I ignored the radar thinking it was a false alarm...

I am removing X band from my radar today

My Cars
    02 m roadster
    ahh hehe i see, and tc 535, i think i remember u talking about that ticket, it was on they way to bimmerfest right?

Any idea how those guys in the air exactly get ur speed, and how high up are they?
    BALLERWERKS

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by iwannadinanm3
    Any idea how those guys in the air exactly get ur speed, and how high up are they?
    They time your distance between two calculated points... then they check their handy chart and radio down to land based officers.

I would think this method would not be used anymore cause, after all... it's expensive to spend all day flying around in a aircraft just to issue tickets.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille
    Once. 45 zone through a twisty hilly road cut into the side of hill (vertical face on left, cliff to my right). Going uphill, steep right hander at about 70. Radar went nuts too late, but I dragged her down to 57 so the ticket wasn't too bad I suppose.

I no longer have a radar detector. I tend to save my aggressive driving for the track.
    In the slow lane

My Cars
    uma E36 325 vermelho
    Once. Got hit by a laser. All my detector did was confirm that I was screwed.

I found that when I don't have a radar detector, I actually am more aware of cops that might be on the road, by looking at traffic patterns ahead of me. And it kind of puts me in a false sense of security sometimes.
    What would Crockett and Tubbs do?

1994 E36 Hellrot/Black 325is
    2007 E92 Jet Black/Saddle Brown 335i

My Cars
    02 m roadster
    ahh ok, hehe i c how that works now, any idea how far up they are? Like if u stick ur head outta the sun roof, can u see the aircracft flying usually?
    BALLERWERKS

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    Both of the tickets I got with the M3. First one, I was "paced", which I think was BS because he didn't follow me long enough to establish my speed, but whatever. Second one, I took a curve on the expressway moderately quickly, 61mph in a 50, cop was hiding around the curve. V1 went off as soon as I saw him. He instant-on'ed me. That was my fault. Never speed alone.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

My Cars
    2011 Subaru WRX
    Originally posted by Kevlar

They time your distance between two calculated points... then they check their handy chart and radio down to land based officers.

I would think this method would not be used anymore cause, after all... it's expensive to spend all day flying around in a aircraft just to issue tickets.
    Here in Iowa they use airplane just to get the high speeders, a friend of mine was busted for 110 in on the interstate which is a 65mph zone. Almost a bye bye license on the spot but the cops on the ground wrote it down to 90 since the planes don't have precise messuring.
    LUKE

My Cars
    95 M3

1 experienced cop

with a 20 year old x band can defeat a radar detector. With a detector, I've been caught twice and both times it was instant on...and bang... I was caught. I think this is why so many cops still use x band. They let 10 go and get the random guy who figures he is protected.

I stopped using a detector and I've only been caught once since in 5 years. Of course I limit my speeding to 10 MPH over most times except the random runs over 100, but only when I have a clear view and lots of open spaces.

RobH
    95 M3

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    I can still think of several more times when the radar detector saved my ass, though. I still wouldn't want to give up the detection and arrows.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette