Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 ** HID Retrofitting Guide Part 1** Sorry 56k

My Cars
    Fast s30 Z / Slow e92 M3

E39 ** HID Retrofitting Guide Part 1** Sorry 56k

Ok guys as promised heres the write up for the E39 DIY HID retrofit...

You will need these following equipment:
    Dremel, with sanding head, grinding, and cutting
    JB Weld
    3M double sided tape
    Drill with a big drill bit
    2 - OEM H7 Bulb holders
    2 - 3/4 inch Elbow plumbing pipes
    A friend

most of these can be found at your local automotive store, the elbow plumbing pipes can be bought at home depot for 39 cents each. OEM H7 bulb holders can be purchased at your local stealership for 13 bucks each if in case you mess up on the ones you have now.

Ok step one...unplug your lowbeam adapter from your OEM H7 bulb holders.

2)Then remove your H7 bulb and keep in a safe place...never know when you might need them.

3)Bring out the dremel and attack the cutting tip to it.

4)Cut the H7 bulb holder in half, right above the metal prongs that accept your H7 bulbs. Have a friend hold the H7 base for you while you dremel around it, this is much easier than doing it yourself and safer.

5) when done cutting make sure to sand down the top part to remove the parts that are bulging out, also sanding helps the JB weld hold the bond ALOT better. Sand both top and bottom parts to achieve smoothness.

6) After sanding put it aside and take out your 3/4 elbow plumbing tube, this tube is basically used as a makeshift lever to apply torque to lock your H7 base holder into the teeths of the housing. Without this it is nearly impossible to lock it in place.

7) Take your drill with a big drill tip and drill a hole through the back of it, (have your friend drill, while you step on it to make sure it stays in place) to allow your HID wires and plugs through, Use grinder from the Dremel to widen the hole to accomodate the wires and plugs.

Me grinding to widen the hole

Continue to part two (Cant post all those images up at same time )

My Cars
    Fast s30 Z / Slow e92 M3

Part two

8) put this aside for now and get mix the JB weld, apply JB weld to the bottom of the HID bulb holder and to the top of the H7 Base.
    **Make sure all surfaces are sanded before applying JB Weld, otherwise bond will not be strong enuff.**

9) Wait 5-6 minutes to allow bond to become strong

10) Take the 3/4 elbow pipe now and put your wires and plugs through first, use JB weld again on the bottom of the H7 base and the rim of the 3/4 elbow pipe. Again MAKE sure both areas are properlly sanded.

11) Allow 10 minutes this time to dry, extra time is need to make sure bond is strong enuff to handle the torque applied to it when locking the base into the projector housing.

12) Twist it in just like your regular H7 bulbs! Make sure the teeth is aligned so the elbow part comes up on top...

Do the same for the other side.
    This mod took me and my friend 1 1/2 hours for first headlight, planning and doing everything along the way, 2nd headlight took only 30minutes.

Before and after shots:

LEFT: HIDS RIGHT: STOCK

BOth HIDS installed

Night shot

Perfect HID projection, very fine cut lines and great color

Much thanks to Grimpy, Dan, Habbie, EthiRtyNiN3, my friend Lon and all others who have contributed to this. I hope this guide will help you guys in the future if anyone decides to go the HID way. Thanks again!

My Cars
    Fast s30 Z / Slow e92 M3
    o BTW here is where i mounted my ballast and igniter..i used the unused air intake filter cover on my passengerside, and on top of my air intake on my driver side.

My Cars
    2001 e39
    Nice!! Maybe I will do the same..

My Cars
    Fast s30 Z / Slow e92 M3
    haha you def. should! realllll easy...just takes some time and patience...

My Cars
    '03 E39 530i
    Dude, you got some girly hands.

My Cars
    Fast s30 Z / Slow e92 M3
    lol your not the first to tell me that...i can be a hand model ^^

My Cars
    E39 and Explorer
    bright as heylll

My Cars
    T4R LTD 4WD
    glad you finally went ahead and did it bro... told you it was easy...

I didn't think about the leverage thing... looks like it made it alot easier to twist on though.

My Cars
    00 M5, 92 GMC Sierra
    where did you get the HID stuff for this? what all HID parts would i need? that looks awesome. im thinking of getting some new headlights, but dont wanna spend the dough on HID ones.

Dan is offline My real name is Charles
    My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4
    Quote Originally Posted by egertge
    where did you get the HID stuff for this? what all HID parts would i need? that looks awesome. im thinking of getting some new headlights, but dont wanna spend the dough on HID ones.
    Umnitza.

My Cars
    Fast s30 Z / Slow e92 M3
    Talk to Habbie from Umnitza, he will hook you up, currently they sell Prolumens, they look great, i compared it to Xtec and dont see any difference at all..the only annoying thing with Prolumens i have is that it has a seperate igniter that you have to mount somewhere...as for equipment you can find the elbow tube at any Home Depot, make sure its 3/4 inch, Dremel at any hardware store (buy the multiple heads), and JB weld at any automotive store...

My Cars
    M5, E61
    You won't be annoyed in 10 months when they are still working as well as ever

My Cars
    potato
    Nice!!! just found this thread and you just saved me a bunch of dough - I'm gonna retrofit my OEM xenon bulbs and ballasts onto a set of P39s. Thanks for putting this together!

My Cars
    e39 540ia
    the cutoff looks good.

My Cars
    540i M\sport-525i-NSX-S430-ML55///AMG
    Why not get the H7 based HID bulbs / Kit?
    03 540i M-sport
    95 540ia M-sport 18x8.5 18x10 MK (SOLD)
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/fkong777

My Cars
    2004 BMW 545i
    Quote Originally Posted by fkong777 View Post
    That's what I was wondering.

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Quote Originally Posted by fkong777 View Post
    Good point...but good work nonetheless. One of your lights looks like it needs to be adjusted up or the other down though...from the garage door shot.
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    BMW 528iA and 523iT
    Great DIY. Thanks a lot.

Something is wroing with before-after pictures. Can you repost them? I'm really interested in light pattern of xenon bulbs in halogen headligts.

By the way, xenon bulbs you have used are usual D2S?

My Cars
    BMW 5 series!!!
    Gents, be ware of the "Check Low Beam" though. I did this on my E34, and I got the low beam error still... gotta find a EE friend and work up a relay to fix this problem - doable, just hassle.

On my E39, I got a kit that was slightly more $$, but direct plug and play, no modification to bulb holders, etc, and no error codes. I have '01 525iT with stock halogen lights and with AE. Not sure if normal kit will throw a code, but this kit has a built in resistor. I saved some $$ on my E34, but now I have to figure out how to get rid of the message soon - it's annoying.
    -----------------
    '94 E34 525ia 248k mi (since 83k)
    '00 E39 M5 126k mi (since 64k)
    '91 E34 M5 119 mi (since 110k)
    '00 E39 540iTa 98 mi (since 72k)
    '01 E38 740i M-sports 101k mi (since 95k)
    '07 E60 530i 53k mi (Newly added)

'01 E39 525iTa 92k mi (since 54k) Sold
    -----------------
    Koni Sport - E39 M5
    DVD Nav upgrade (from MKII) w/ 16x9 monitor - M5
    Bluetooth module - E39 M5 / 525ia
    CCFL Angel Eye - E39 M5
    CELIS tail lights - E39 M5
    Blinder direct wire - E39 M5
    V1 direct wire - ALL
    HID projector upgrade - 525ia / 525iTa
    Power Chip - 525ia
    Dinan/Koni suspension - E34 M5

My Cars
    98 540i | 98 dinan s3 540i | '03 volvo s80 2.9t
    yeah, that annoying LBF error...

i get that daily with the lights on and off (after a few minutes i suppose the diagnostics throw up that code if they don't sense bulbs installed)

CWY M5> what kind of kit are you using? how did the kit fit in the weird H7 (with bulb holder) housings?

My Cars
    1998 520i; 2003 525i
    Good Job! I've looked into doing the same thing, but havent because I havent worked through a couple of issues yet. Here's the guestion: I see you've got projectors, so its less of an issue than it is with reflectors, but did you measure the distance of the filament (or light source on D2S) to the lens when you did the mod? I saw some idiot who did it with a honda lens, and he didnt take into account the filament distance, and the light was way up in everyones eyes. Bad mod!

Sean
    Ramstein Air Base, Germany

2003 525i (His)
    1998 520i (Hers)
    1990 520i (Retired)

My Cars
    1995 840ci, 2003 540i M
    CWY M5> Did you tap into 12V wire or just used the existing connector to power the new HID lights? According to visionbulbs installation guide, they recommend tapping into 12V but I don't know which wire to use. Unlike my E46, there is no 12V HOT wire source in the engine compartment in my E39.

My Cars
    Fast s30 Z / Slow e92 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by koister2001 View Post
    CWY M5> Did you tap into 12V wire or just used the existing connector to power the new HID lights? According to visionbulbs installation guide, they recommend tapping into 12V but I don't know which wire to use. Unlike my E46, there is no 12V HOT wire source in the engine compartment in my E39.
    i just used the stock connect that was used for the stock halogen lights..plug and play baby!

Quote Originally Posted by wbread99 View Post
    Good Job! I've looked into doing the same thing, but havent because I havent worked through a couple of issues yet. Here's the guestion: I see you've got projectors, so its less of an issue than it is with reflectors, but did you measure the distance of the filament (or light source on D2S) to the lens when you did the mod? I saw some idiot who did it with a honda lens, and he didnt take into account the filament distance, and the light was way up in everyones eyes. Bad mod!
    sorry for late reply...glad the thread is helping people. I didnt measure anything, i just stuck the HIDs in, like i said before it was purely plug and play. They are still running strong~

About the H7 kit, i dont think Umnitza had any in stock at the time or they just didnt have them.

My Cars
    E92 M3 Comp
    that is an h7 kit, notice the tab i circled in red. i have the same kit in my depos. difference is the hellas use that brown adapter that the bulb plugs into and then twists into the socket on the projector.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast