Thread: How to Remove Door Panels on E34?

My Cars
    NONE

How to Remove Door Panels on E34?

My drivers side window came off the front mounting track - Hope its just that and no broken glass but in any case, how do I remove the door panel and get into the window mechanism without destroying my car?

Thanks!

My Cars
    '89 e34 535i auto, '06 fusion
    go to bmwe34.net and theres a place there that shows you how to take it off
    smoked taillights
    6000k hid's
    m-tech II steering wheel
    KNN panel filter
    16x8 bbs from a 740il
    E
    uro smoked Smilies

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    Here are the instructions off TIS that I modified a little to make more sense. The originals had pictures, but I can't post those. These are for a car with crank windows, but they should work for most E34s.

1. Pull off outside mirror adjusting knob, remove switch with special tool 61 1 300, and disconnect the plug. I have no idea what this special tool looks like, and I searched for it without any results. A lot of times, there is a way around the special tools though.
    2. Remove screw inside hole where mirror switch was.
    3. Remove screw cover inside door handle and unscrew screw. Pull "door opener recess plate" out. I think they mean the door handle assembly. You'll probably need to pull it out a little bit, but it will still be attached by a cable which you can remove once the panel is off. That's how it is on most door panels, at least.
    4. Unscrew door lock mechanism. BMW calls it a "catch button"
    5. Lift screw cover out of window crank, unscrew screw, and pull off crank.
    6. Begin unclipping door panel from bottom. Use something flat and plastic, a screwdriver will damage your door and panel. They actually make door panel removal tools, but that isn't really necessary. I use this plastic tool that looks like a letter opener. It works like a charm.
    7. Lift panel away from door and disconnect door handle cable. Also disconnect any electrical connectors that might still be attached.

The instructions also say you need to remove the mirror, but I'm not going to type up those instructions unless you REALLY need them.

My Cars
    E34, E60
    giving some sweet instructions some google juice http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...oorRemoval.htm
    Last edited by shogun; 02-05-2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: updated link

My Cars
    1992 E34 525i
    I have found a link of a video showing the process of removing the rear door panels from E32 which is similar to E34s. Those who are looking to removing the front door, you will just have to pry open the power mirror switch and the rest of the process is pretty much same.

Here is the link of the video.
    https://youtu.be/wDPKggWZIZU

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Unscrew the door locking knob
    Remove the tweeter pod at the front of the door by prying off the small screw cover, removing the hidden screw and prying off the grill. One more screw behind the grill holds the pod in place. dis-connect the wires to the speaker CAREFULLY as the wire lug is tight and the lugs on the tweeters poorly fixed.
    remove the mirror control switch, or dummy plug on pass. side, by prying it out
    unscrew one (t30?)screw that is well behind the switch
    Pry off the plastic cap behind the door opening lever and remove the screw behind it
    The rest of the fasteners are clips around the perimeter that you simply pop off, you can pull by hand from the edge but risk damaging the panel. Using the correct "door panel removal" tools is best
    To remove the panel it must be lifted UP slightly to clear a clip dead center in the panel behind the armrest*
    the top edge of that panel sits slightly under the bright trim and sometimes needs to be pulled away slightly, another use for a small prying toll, carefully slide it between the two pieces, down the length of the bright trim. The bright trim and weather strip remains on the door
    disconnect the cable to the door opening lever
    *When re-assembling pay special attention to this plastic clip, it will have remained on the door. You need to squeeze the metal bracket it is on to remove it as it must go back into the groove an the door panel bracket behind the armrest oriented correctly so it will be able slid up and off the next time.
    . This will all be apparent once in front of you. I've seen more than a few mangled door panels from folks brutalizing the panel trying to pound the center of the panel into place without properly re-attaching that clip.
    Last edited by ross1; 02-26-2017 at 08:03 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue