Thread: HOWTO: Remove door lock without original key

My Cars
    1996 328is

HOWTO: Remove door lock without original key

So I bought a used door handle, and it didn't come with the original key. I didn't have the key, so I figured this out on my own:

1. Remove the pin. This isn't very well documented, but I figured out something you can do. First, get some lock pliers and a small bit. I used a very small torx bit. Place the pliers on the lock, put the torx bit between the pin and the pliers, then try to close the pliers. Rinse and repeat until it comes out.

2. Stick YOUR key in there and try to get it out as far as you can.

3. After that, get a small screwdriver thats thin and long enough to reach the back of the tumbler. Start moving it up and down the lock to move the wafers while using your other hand to hold the handle assembly and pull the lock out with your fingers. It should slowly come out as the wafers align and unalign. Try it!

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I've done this several times. BMW Used two different lock designs on the e36's. If you are swapping tumblers from one style to another it won't fit but you can swap the wafers between the two.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I'm having a rough time understanding. are we holding the pliers to the front of the lock(where the key is to be inserted)?