Thread: Quick Question about Rear Shock Mount Replacement

My Cars
    1996 328i

Quick Question about Rear Shock Mount Replacement

I know there are a number of posts on replacing the RSMs however no post addresses this problem. When I unscrew the rear shock mounts and lower the struts, do I need something to support the caliper? I heard that if I don't have something to support the caliper, it'd throw my alignment out of whack. Is that just an old wives' tale? Thanks

My Cars
    Various junk
    Yes, you should support the suspension arm while installing the new rear shock mount. You can do this with a floor jack underneath the brake rotor or trailing arm. You can also use a jack stand.

I don't know if the alignment will be affected, but the CV joints between the output shaft and differential can be damaged if you allow the suspension to just hang without the shock in place.
    Last edited by FredK; 06-27-2005 at 08:19 AM. Reason: corrected wrong wording

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    yea like he said you should support them.
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    E86 Z4M Coupe
    support them with a jack stand or something. but i really don't think it would throw the alignment out of wack.

My Cars
    93 325is, 86 318i, 92 626, 88 B2200, 93 VW Passat
    You should put a jack under the rear trailing arm just in case but when I pulled my springs out the other night I had to take the jack out and stand on a pry bar wedged on the upper conrol arm in order to free my springs up pushing about 4 inches past where it stops itself without the jack. Drove a lot today and is fine.