Thread: loud pop

My Cars
    AT-AT

loud pop

I was caught in a bad stop and go traffic today. anyhow, I accidentally dumped the clutch too fast coming from 3rd down to 2nd, that's when I heard a pop from the rear. I thought forsure my diff mount finally gave way. Checked the diff area when I got home, everything seems in tact. Do you guys have any idea what it is? Could it be the rear shock mounts?
    Last edited by Ian 2.0; 11-27-2006 at 02:03 AM.
    The search box is awesome..try it!

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe
    I had something similar to this when I shifted agressively from 2nd to 3rd. The car jumped out of gear, it was so loud it made me duck my head down I could not figure out what happend at first, then it happend the next week and I still had my hand on the shifter. It has not happend again since I am more careful to make sure the car is fully engaged.

My Cars
    2000 Alpinweiss M Roadster
    I've also experienced something like this on one or two occasions. It has been on very aggressive upshifts.

My theory is that I had started pulling on the shift lever a few milliseconds before pushing in the clutch. This flexes the rubber sleeve in the shift lever. Then when the clutch disengages, the rubber sleeve rebounds and the lever snaps the transmission from one gear to the next. Prolly not especially healthy for the tranny.
    Lance J -
    BMW CCA - Connecticut Valley Chapter
    President & Newsletter Editor
    Toy - 2000 Supercharged M Roadster
    Utility - 2003 325xiT

My Cars
    AT-AT
    interesting...cause mine happened on a downshift and at a very low speed.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    It does sound like the gear was not fully engaged. I would not worry about it unless it is repeatable. Popping out of gear can be pretty noisy and sound like a pretty loud metal bang.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    99 MCoupe
    I've had this happen on the 2-3 upshift as well a couple of times since I bought my coupe in August. I also attributed it to not having the clutch quite in when I went to shift.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Happend to mine a long time ago on a hard 1-2 shift and shortly after I started to hear a little rattle. Something had worked it's way loose in the tranny and they dealer replaced the whole shebang under warranty. I wouldn't be concerned unless other noises start up.
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    FrankBuilt 95 TRM3
    I would have to agree. It wouldn't matter if you were upshifting or downshifting.... if it is not fully engaged, it can POP! out of gear in a hurry. Happen to me on my old 5spd couple times and one time on my 6spd (was prolly being lazzy).

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    It sounds like everyone is thinking that it came out of gear. From your post, I don't think that is what you said happened? You may want to check to see if one of your sway bar ends may have come loose.

Ken

My Cars
    AT-AT
    Hey Ken, yup, it didn't pop "OUT" of gear, I heard a loud pop after engaging 2nd and dumping the clutch to fast (making the car jolt in the process too). I'm going under the car sometime this week and do a visual thorough check up. I just wanted to know if anybody might have had a similar experience, and what I should be checking.