Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Bag Light on??

My Cars
    97 328i 5-speed alpine white/black

uhh...

So nobody knows what a legit fix of this seat/weight/tensioner or whatever the hell it is, costs? Not everyone can fear the dealer, somebody must have took the plunge. Lets say your all cheap, so lets fix it ourselves. Lets start with the part, what number is it? I'm determined not to be putting duct tape over the light.

My Cars
    BMW 2000 323i
    Winter – First, you need to interrogate the SRS module and retrieve the fail code(s). So, you’ll need the Peake Reader/reset tool or visit the dealer. There are dozens of possible failures.

Most common failures are the seat belt L/R tensioner/restraint and the passenger present sensor (mat) in the passenger seat.

I’ve changed both – the passenger seat mat is the bigger challenge, but very doable.

P/N for the sensor mat is 65776921952. The cost was ~$85 shipped from Crevier. Not absolutely certain, but I believe the dealer charges about $500+ to remove and replace. You’ll need small hog rings and hog ring pliers to reassemble the seat upholstery. Otherwise, no special tools are needed for either job.

P/N for seat belt tensioners: Left 72119119551, Right 72119119552. These guys are about ~$95 shipped.

Both chores require seat removal. Good luck.

My Cars
    328I, 1999.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    So nobody knows what a legit fix of this seat/weight/tensioner or whatever the hell it is, costs? Not everyone can fear the dealer, somebody must have took the plunge. Lets say your all cheap, so lets fix it ourselves. Lets start with the part, what number is it? I'm determined not to be putting duct tape over the light.
    I am also having the same problem.. but no idea?
    umermariner

My Cars
    06 M3, 99 323i, 95 JGC
    My light is on, and its been that way for a few months...

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by umermariner View Post
    I am also having the same problem.. but no idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by digivation View Post
    My light is on, and its been that way for a few months...
    I think vstol answered both. The airbag light is similar to the SES light: A number of different fault codes can cause it to turn on. The first step would be to somehow get that code to know what component(s) of the system triggered the light. The dealership, a well-equipped indy shop, or the Peake tool (I didn't know that!) will be able to read the codes and get you started in the right direction.

If the fault is in the seats, vstol has provided a great start.

Another common cause is the air bags in the door. If you have the door disassembled - say, for replacing a window regulator - and you turn the key while the side airbag is disconnected, the light will come on. The light won't turn off by itself, even after you plug the airbag back in. It must be explicitly reset, either by the dealer or well-equipped indy shop (I don't know if the Peake tool can).

My Cars
    BMW 2000 323i
    nathancarter - info on the Peake SRS tool.

http://www.peakeresearch.com/srstool.htm

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Aha, I see. This is a separate tool than the one used for OBDII codes, then? I hope to not need it any time soon; my local indy shop was very reasonable - $20 to reset my airbag light.

I got an Equus/Innova OBDII tool for Christmas, I'll be satisfied with it for a while. The Peake OBDII tool would be nice for the BMW, but I like the flexibility of being able to plug in to different cars. My wife's Volvo S60 will display OBDII codes on the dash. Anwyay, getting a bit off-topic.

My Cars
    e46
    This is funny. Everyone has their airbag light on. Mine is on too. Maybe the light on is telling you everything is A-OK? People without the light are the ones with the problems.

My Cars
    E46 330ci Clubsport
    i have the same problem, it comes and goes... maybe BMW should fix this free as its so common... its not our fault, its not considered as wear and tear is it?! how about a recall to fix this problem along with many others lol
    BMW E46 330ci M ClubSport - Estoril Blue - Bi-Xenons - Heated Leather - Facelift - OEM Style 71 18" 2 Piece Alloys - Carbon Style Cubed Trim - OEM LED Rear Lights

My Cars
    2000 M5
    2000 323i - my airbag light is on, there are No codes present with the Peake REsearch Tool and I just had a State inspection (Massachusetts) and the airbag system (OBD) checked out fine. Thoughts anyone?

Tom Lesko
    Hingham, MA usa

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by tmlesko View Post
    2000 323i - my airbag light is on, there are No codes present with the Peake REsearch Tool and I just had a State inspection (Massachusetts) and the airbag system (OBD) checked out fine. Thoughts anyone?

Tom Lesko
    Hingham, MA usa
    No OBDII codes or SRS codes? In other words what Peake tool are you using? The engine codes and SRS codes are independant. If the ABS light is on there should be a SRS code and the tool should be able to reset the light (even if the light and codes just come right back next time the car is started.).

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Must have the SRS peake reset tool to read the airbag codes (or some other form of top secret super sexy software)

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
    No OBDII codes or SRS codes? In other words what Peake tool are you using? The engine codes and SRS codes are independant. If the ABS light is on there should be a SRS code and the tool should be able to reset the light (even if the light and codes just come right back next time the car is started.).
    Well, yes, they are independant. I used a new Peake SRS scan/reset tool. No codes but light stays on, reset tool will not turn off the light, this indicates that there is a problem . . . but it is not identified.

My Cars
    2014 LCI 528i M Sport 4
    The passenger seat mat is usually the culprit. That's about $1k to replace (high labour cost). I bought a bypass unit from eBay ($25) and a B800 Scanner ($30). Put the bypass unit in myself (lots of DIY out there) and the scanner reset the light. The airbag will now deploy even though there is no passenger. It will also deploy if there is a passenger, of course.

jeeez, almost 8,000 views. Most be a common problem. (Mine is lit too as well)

My Cars
    E92 325ci
    Mine too. But Im not able to find a DIY on how to change the mat sensor.
    Sahara Beige 323i 5MT, Bilstein struts, Carbon Fiber BMW Performance Strut Bar, Carbon Fiber DINAN Cold Air Intake, BMW BBS Style 124 staggered 18" rims, Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40 & 255/35, Front plate delete, Debadge, LED Eagle Eye Tailights, BMW Clear corners, BMW rear License Plate PDC sensors

Monaco Blue 318i Auto, Bilstein struts, BMW front grills and finisher trims of 335i, BMW Style 366 staggered 19" rims, No runflats just M mobility kit, BMW M dead pedal, Front plate delete, Debadge, AC Schnitzer replica rear trunk spoiler, BMW OEM accesories:Umbrella, Rubber floor mats, Trunk Bag Hook, 1st aid kit, Tire preasure gauge, Oil storage bag, Tire tote spare wheel for trips

My Cars
    2014 LCI 528i M Sport 4
    I decided against changing the mat sensor. If it takes BMW technicians at least 3 hours to do it, it's not something I was willing to attempt. In any event get it wrong and you will probably discharge the air bag and that is very very expensive. I did a lot of research before I bought the bypass unit and the scanner. As has already been said, these are old cars and if the air bag goes off it's pretty much a write off anyway.

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Thanks for the info, I don't think I can pass the annual inspection again with the light on (Massachusetts) however, last year it did pass with the light on because the readout did not show a fault.

There are several sellers on Ebay for the bypass, from Ireland, UK and Lithuania. I will most likely go with the UK seller, $20 incl. shipping. Who did you buy from? Thanks again.

Tom L.

My Cars
    2014 LCI 528i M Sport 4
    I bought mine in Australia, because that's where I live. Just read up a bit to make sure you get one that does the job. Remember that you will have to buy a reset tool as well because you have to reset the air bag light after you bypass the mat sensor.

My Cars
    99 323i (gave to my son)
    Mine is still on, tried to find someone locally via groups to reset it for me after i bought and installed the "resistor" module from Ebay. Also cleaned the connector under the seat. Will probably take it to Bimmers in Kennesaw and pay the piper for resetting it.
    "Pay dat myan his myoney" Teddy KGB

My Cars
    2003 330i ZHP
    My passenger side airbag light comes on as well. Only if someone sits in the passenger seat that is. When they get out, it stays on. I have to pretty much punch the passenger seat to get it to turn off.

My car is in the shop right now because of some asshat who hit my car while it was parked at night. When i called to get an update, they said they are checking an airbag code my car is throwing. If it was caused by the accident (car got hit on the front passenger door) they will replace the faulty sensor. Heres to hoping they do.

Member #2 of the unofficial Bf.c OT ĢI hate peopleģ club

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Can u provide more info on this bypass please?
    Specific name, part #, etc so I can find one.
    M driver, RSV4 Rider, Powerstroke roller

My Cars
    99 323i (gave to my son)
    i have an extra bypass module that is to bypass the seat sensor within the abs system. i think i paid $20 if you include international shipping, i'll sell it to you for $15. It plugs into the connector under the passenger seat, easy as pie. This did not work for me and i believe it is my seat belt tensioner.
    "Pay dat myan his myoney" Teddy KGB

My Cars
    E46 M3
    PM inbound. I ran my code and it says its an intermittent break in seat sensor. Comes and goes depending on how the passenger sits. Sometimes it goes away a little into the drive sometimes it stay.
    Seats empty no lights.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Bevo. I got the bypass. Works perfectly no error light. Easy install.
    Thanks bud.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast