Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive Shaft Going Bad, Thinking About Upgrading to Aluminum....Need Some Info

My Cars
    2005 M3

Drive Shaft Going Bad, Thinking About Upgrading to Aluminum....Need Some Info

OK, my drve shaft looks it will need to be replaced in the relatively near future. So this may be a perfect opportunity to upgrade. I have heard of guys using aluminum ones or other materials) to save weight, etc. I was wondering if anybody could give some info on them like where to buy them, price, etc. Thanks in advance.
    James
    2005 Imola Red M3 - VF Stage I Supercharged Street/Track Car
    E46 M3 VF Engineering Stage I Supercharger DIY

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    what symptoms is it showing thats prompting you to replace it?

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT

My Cars
    2005 M3
    There is a cracking noise that is coming from the drive shaft/transmission area. I only hear it when I first get the car moving or if I am going real slow and accelerate. In other words, when the initial torque is put on the shaft is when the cracking noise occurs.

When my car was in the shop for some other work, I had the mechanic do a bit of troubleshooting. He discovered that there was some play (much more than normal) in the CV joint on the drive shaft. He told me that the CV joint could be replaced/repaired but that the with the time and cost to do it, I might as well consider a new drive shaft.

Other major components in the area, like the center support bearing and the guibo were in good shape.
    James

My Cars
    E46
    how much do drive shafts cost? I thought they were expensive, but you said major components like the guibo and drive shaft which are pretty inexpensive...

Wheels in Sig are SSR GT3's 19" E46 M3 fitment. Dinan E46 M3 Suspension. Pic thanks to Kyle K.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    I have heard that new driveshafts can be up to $1k or more depending on where you get them. A re-manufactured one would be the way to go for me, but I still want to look into an upgraded one even though I know the upgraded ones are more expensive. I have seen guibos for around $90 so that is not that bad. As for other components, I don't know.
    James

My Cars
    92 325is (sold), E90, Tacoma, Yamaha R6s
    u can get em custom made.....or u could, my auto teacher had that done on his valiant
    2006 TiAg/Black 330i 6MT ZSP ZPP |F1 Pinnacle 15%|Debadged|Mtec Cosmos Fogs|Hamann Style Diffuser|Quad Magnaflow Exhaust|Transmissive Polarizer Mod:|Silver CF Amber-Gone|MTech Dead + ACS Pedals|

My Cars
    Lots
    Many chassis and frame shops have them custom made. That's a good place to start looking. Or a speed shop. There is nothing particularly novel about the attachement points of BMW. They may need the original for a pattern though.

My Cars
    None
    The stock driveshaft is aluminum already.

My Cars
    96 328is Sprt Pkg
    Originally posted by jmciver

When my car was in the shop for some other work, I had the mechanic do a bit of troubleshooting. He discovered that there was some play (much more than normal) in the CV joint on the drive shaft. He told me that the CV joint could be replaced/repaired but that the with the time and cost to do it, I might as well consider a new drive shaft.

Wait..

I am fairly certain my CV joints are going to need to be replaced soon.. Are you seriously saying for the price to do it its cheaper to buy a new driveshaft? Thats hard to believe

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Originally posted by SS328

Wait..

I am fairly certain my CV joints are going to need to be replaced soon.. Are you seriously saying for the price to do it its cheaper to buy a new driveshaft? Thats hard to believe
    Although I have not seen specific numbers yet, the cost differential is based on getting a remanufactured drive shaft. My mechanic has been very good to me so I trust his judgement. But that being said, the actual numbers will determine what my decision will be.

Jon Caldito,

You say the stock drive shaft is aluminum already, huh. Are you sure about that? I have heard of guys going to lightened drive shafts on our cars and they used aluminum in most cases. My understanding was that the stock driveshafts were some form of steel. Do you happen to know what the stock one weighs?

Jim,

Do you have a recommended shop in mind? Even better, one that may specialize in BMW or would I be just as well off to let my "fingers do the walking" here locally in VA? Also, do you have any idea of the estimated cost for such a custom job?

Thanks for all of the help so far guys!!!
    James

My Cars
    None
    James,

I dont know the exact weight but if you removed the entire driveshaft, you can pick it up with one hand!

I've done a couple of driveshaft R&R and I was so surprised when I removed my first one on an E36.

the driveshaft in my 98 M3 is definitely steel... which is amazing stuff, there may not be much weight to save in a highly stressed part like a driveshaft. Al is 1/3 the weight, but also 1/3 the strength so it often breaks even.
    hey lazybones: whatever you're asking, the answer is already in the archives.

My Cars
    Lots
    Jimbo,

For you in VA, I would check with Curry's in Chantilly (??) VA. One of the better shops and tuner friendly.

My Cars
    everywhere
    These guys make CF driveshafts. They're expensive but are the lightest driveshafts anywhere.

www.acpt.com
    http://www.pstds.com/index.cfm

My Cars
    04 E55, 04 Touareg, 97 M3, 00 996 cab, 86 944T
    The driveshaft of the 6spd I installed definitely felt like aluminum. Very lightweight- the whole thing felt like maybe 10lbs or so. It did not resonate/clang like steel.

Eugene
    97 M3/2 5spd - Hellrot - for sale!
    Dinan Stage V/CAI/big TB/3.5"HFM/OBD I intake
    Dinan strutbrace/ X-brace
    Schrick cams
    euro 6spd/3.64 rear diff, 320i mounts
    AA gen III exhaust/track pipe/HIOP headers/02 simulators
    RS SSK, UUC clutchstop, clutchpedal bushings
    993TT front & 996 rear brakes, Hawk HPS/ SS lines/ ATE Super Blue
    Kinesis K20's 18x8.5,9.5, OZ Superleggera 18x9
    Eibach sways, H&R coilovers
    URI UD pulleys
    RedLine diff/tranny fluid
    PowerFlex RTAB, TCKline rear control arms, PowerFlex front control arm bushings
    98 M-Roadster boot, ECIS shield
    fan clutch delete, 80 C thermostat and fan switch
    Euro dual-pickup oil pan
    finned RE rear diff cover
    AC Schnitzer euro steering wheel

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Originally posted by jsp98m3
    Jimbo,

For you in VA, I would check with Curry's in Chantilly (??) VA. One of the better shops and tuner friendly.
    Thanks for the reference, Jim.

dysphunxion,

Thanks for the links. $400-$600 doesn't seem that bad for a driveshaft. Especially considering a stock one can run you a grand! Of course they did not list one for BMW but I would think there is nothing special about the drive shafts on our cars.

This has been a very informative thread here!!
    James

My Cars
    2006 E55 AMG
    there's a place out in orange county that does custom driveshafts. I forget the name. Drivertrain Industries or something.

RENNtech 168mm Pulley and Tune | VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox | JP Shorty Headers | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | RENNtech Digital Lowering Module | 19" HRE 547R
    459 RWHP, 522 RWT

My Cars
    No Car
    paeco carries Titanium driveshafts that are unbelievably light, you might wanna check that out.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    Originally posted by SupaBimma
    paeco carries Titanium driveshafts that are unbelievably light, you might wanna check that out.
    Titanium.....!!!!Damn.........I don't want to even think how much that would cost !!!
    James

My Cars
    97 328is
    I am confused....I thought tha the drive shaft came from the transmision to the diff. and that half-shafts were the ones that have CV joints attatched to them running from the diff to the wheels......???Drive shafts have CV joints too??

_Paul_

the half-shafts have CV joints. the driveshaft has universal joints.
    hey lazybones: whatever you're asking, the answer is already in the archives.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    There is a cracking noise that is coming from the drive shaft/transmission area. I only hear it when I first get the car moving or if I am going real slow and accelerate. In other words, when the initial torque is put on the shaft is when the cracking noise occurs.
    Uh oh, my car is exhibiting similar symptoms and the universal joints and guibo check out fine. Sounds like a metal knock upon initial torque in first gear.

Do you know how exactly your mechanic narrowed it down to the driveshaft? Was there a clear indication of failure or was it a process of elimination?

My Cars
    97 328is

Other major components in the area, like the center support bearing and the guibo were in good shape.

I am not shure, but it sounds like to me the mechanic ment to say half-shaft....not drive shaft. These are where CV joint's are located. In that case, when I replaced some half-shafts on my friends Acura Legend the parts were not that expensive. Only like $65-75 dollars for each one.

_Paul_

My Cars
    06' F150 4x4, 95 M3
    I had my shaft rebuilt and balanced for $300 xpress shipped to and from ... I dont remeber the name but there in the back of the roundel.

Uh, you guys might want to take a look under your cars. I believe that the M3's have a CV joint at the end of the driveshaft, where it attaches to the diff. Other model E36s, like the 325/328/318 use a U-joint between the driveshaft and the diff, but not the M3.

Yup, just checked the ETK, and it shows a CV joint on the end of the M3 driveshaft. Also, Bentley shows separate torque values for the driveshaft with a CV joint that connects it to the input flange of the diff.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast