Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first kill- 318ti vs saab 9-3

My Cars
    2005 GTO & 1971 Chevy Camaro & 1999 Suzuki GSX600F

first kill- 318ti vs saab 9-3

me and my friend are crusing on rt 21 coming back from newark,nj. we are going about 90 and pass this red saab. i look in my rearview and see he is acceleration towards us , so i slow down and wait for him. now i am going about 60 in the "sport mode-3" and he pulls along side of us and guns it. i also gun it, get up to about 80 and shift into D.at first he was about 1/2 a car length ahead of me , now we are about dead even. after i shifted i started pullin ahead a little and end up 1/2 car length ahead of him at 120mph and shut it down. and i almost hit the divider shifting between 3 and D because i lost traction going over a bump in the road. i ended up about 2 feet away from teh divider in hte shoulder.i ran over something in the road and though it was a reflector in the divider....i was soo scarred. all in all it was pretty cool-first night i get my liscese, first race, first kill .
    i am positive it was a red saab as i could see emblem . i think it was a 9-3 with these stats...

Feature Highlights:
    2.0t turbocharged engine
    175 hp and 195 lb. ft. of torque

i am stock with about 140 hp and mayb 170 tourque? i think i won because of the weight difference. i think those are my stats if they need correction please tell me

BTW-the guy driving the saab was probally 24 white male. he had blue turn signals..lol
    Last edited by Seala8; 06-14-2005 at 12:32 PM.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    honestly no clue about your's or his stats. But good race. just make sure ot be careful. Sounds like you almost had a horrible night for your first day of license & first race.

But good job
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    E90 330i/6, '30 ford cou
    Dude,
    Please don't learn how to race on the road. Take it to the track. Take some lessons. Then you will have the knowledge to go Fast. Anyone can put their right foot to the floor. You have to have the skills to Go Fast Safely. Don't be offended but the Bondurant class I took was the best money I have ever spent!!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue330i2006
    Dude,
    Please don't learn how to race on the road. Take it to the track. Take some lessons. Then you will have the knowledge to go Fast. Anyone can put their right foot to the floor. You have to have the skills to Go Fast Safely. Don't be offended but the Bondurant class I took was the best money I have ever spent!!
    no offense at all....i understand exactly were your coming from

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    unfortunately i did learn how to race on the road.

But I'm about ot have new rotors, and shocks/struts put on my car, along with some other stuff. But I'm gonna go up to the track for at least one DE. I wanna get this in, so I can realize how bad I have been driving.
    -Chaz

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    E90 330i/6, '30 ford cou
    You have to master the Heel/Toe to be fast. Use your right foot for the brake and gas at the same time while you are downshifting. Blip the gas (while braking) just as the clutch goes in to match road speed to the gear as you downshift. When you can do this without wheel hop or rev limiter engagement, or overbraking, then you will do fine. ( PRACTICE. PRACTICE) but, then you must be able to do it while cornering and having the situational awareness of where the rest of the road is and where the competition is!!!!!!!!!!! Take a class and you WILL be faster, and Safer!!! These Bimmers aren't cheap and Maintenance isn't easy!!!!! Good luck and HAVE FUN. It is n't whether you win or lose... well that is crap!! Is is best to win!!!!

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue330i2006
    You have to master the Heel/Toe to be fast. Use your right foot for the brake and gas at the same time while you are downshifting. Blip the gas (while braking) just as the clutch goes in to match road speed to the gear as you downshift. When you can do this without wheel hop or rev limiter engagement, or overbraking, then you will do fine. ( PRACTICE. PRACTICE) but, then you must be able to do it while cornering and having the situational awareness of where the rest of the road is and where the competition is!!!!!!!!!!! Take a class and you WILL be faster, and Safer!!! These Bimmers aren't cheap and Maintenance isn't easy!!!!! Good luck and HAVE FUN. It is n't whether you win or lose... well that is crap!! Is is best to win!!!!

Yeah I honestly suck at heel to toe. I need to learn it a bit better. I normally just rev match throw it in gear, and engine brake. (not the best I know, but if I heel/toe I look like a total douche)
    -Chaz

My Cars
    98 e36, 02 v40
    Yeah, not to rain on your parade too much, but 120 mph on your first day of licensure is crazy. SOunds like the other driver did the smart thing and stepped off. Keep this up and you'll be dead or doing time for killing or hurting someone. Join the BMWCCA and do some autocross racing--cheap racing and fun. Anyone can mash the pedal to the metal and win a race on the street by simply being crazier then the next guy.
    Be safe bro...
    Formerly 328i, now 332i : Debadged, Cosmos Black/Black, '99 s52 motor, custom short ram intake with ITG maxogen filter, Dinan springs, Koni adj sports, Rogue Engineering LTW flywheel clutch kit, UUC swaybarbarians, HMS oil pump, Fan Delete mod, Mishimoto alum radiator, UUC UD pullies, upgraded water pump, BBS RK2's w 235-40-17 Yoko S-drives for summer, the Shaahhhk, passport x50, Scorpion cat back exhaust, BSW midrange speakers, Recaro knock-off child safety seats by graco...

My Cars
    i got auto..lol..i wish i was stick

My Cars
    G8 GXP 6 SPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Seala8
    i was soo scarred. all in all it was pretty cool-first night i get my liscese, first race, first kill .
    I would highly recommend getting more solo experience under your belt before attempting to race people on the streets.

Better to be smart than a statistic.

My Cars
    Subaru SVX (Poor man's 850)
    What an effing idiot. You got into a street race and went 120 mph on the first night you had your license?!?! Jesus christ. You're either going to end up in jail for killing someone, or in a coffin after killing yourself. Save the high speed racing for the track, and if you really want to go fast, try getting a few years under your belt with ZERO accidents and lots of experience. I hope you don't kill someone I know, because if you do....

My Cars
    1995 m3, ninja 500r
    please be careful.

My Cars
    i know it was a stupid thing to do...but u nkow first night couldnt resist ill be safer next time. thanks for you advice and making me realize i almost got killed last night

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Seala8
    i know it was a stupid thing to do...but u nkow first night couldnt resist ill be safer next time. thanks for you advice and making me realize i almost got killed last night
    Seala8, don't mind them. Jeeezzz, your young, you're supposed to be dumb. THey aren't saints either. It was a street race, no matter the situation, a street race is dangerous. Whether it is your first night with license, or your 30th year with license. SOme people drove for 6 years before getting their license. Next time they scold you for nearly killing somebody on the road. Use this:

Have you ever driven while talking on your cell phone?
    Have you ever messed with your radio while the car was in motion?
    Have you ever rubbernecked at a __________ (fill in the blank)?
    Have you ever reached for something in your passenger seat, floorboard, or back seat while the car was in motion?
    Have you ever driven while you were sleepy/drowsy?
    Have you ever driven while you were angry or upset?

If so, then please, do not flame me for speeding, because you are also endangering you and everybody else on the road; we are just doing it in different fashions.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    that doesnt really bother me for being flammed...everyone on here is like a big bf.c family....they are juss lookin out for me and my ti

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by giterdone
    Next time they scold you for nearly killing somebody on the road. Use this:

Have you ever driven while talking on your cell phone?
    Have you ever messed with your radio while the car was in motion?
    Have you ever rubbernecked at a __________ (fill in the blank)?
    Have you ever reached for something in your passenger seat, floorboard, or back seat while the car was in motion?
    Have you ever driven while you were sleepy/drowsy?
    Have you ever driven while you were angry or upset?
    Sorry dude, there's a HUGE difference between a 16 year old going 120 and someone yapping on their cell phone, playing with the radio, etc. Sure, all that stuff is distracting, but it's not like a 16 year old going triple digits. I think he should hook up with these two girls, they seem to be right up his alley in terms of intelligence.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane
    Sorry dude, there's a HUGE difference between a 16 year old going 120 and someone yapping on their cell phone, playing with the radio, etc. Sure, all that stuff is distracting, but it's not like a 16 year old going triple digits. I think he should hook up with these two girls, they seem to be right up his alley in terms of intelligence.
    but ther eisn't much difference in a 16yr old doing 120 and a 40 yr old doing 120. They are both doing 120. Everyone says the 40 yr old has more experienc.e Yeah sure, driving down a road, he has more experienc.e But at high speeds like that? yeah probably not. Sure some people have had track time, or did DE's, or actually in CCA's, but most people have not. So really, nearly every single person who posts in the Kills section should be flamed for doing something royally dumb.

Do not yell at this kid just becuase he did it just becuase he got his license. And no reason to scold him either. Chances are he knew it was stupid. I know after every high speed encounter I do, at the end of it, I'm like holy cow that was dumb, but I still do it in the future.

For awhile, this bored was boring as hell, because everytime soembody posted a thread, about racing down the interstate, they got flamed like crazy by people yelling at them, saying they could've killed somebody on the road, or themselves or their passengers. So people stopped posting. We finally got most of those flames to stop, so we got to enjoy just the simple race itself.

All you ahve to do, is simply state what he did was dangerous, and dumb, and he should probably consider his actions in the future. You (not just chicane, but everybody) do not have to call the kid an idiot or anything of that nature.

Oh yeah, also, more accidents are caused by people messing with cell phones, their radio, or reaching for something in their car. I knwo I've almost got in an accident when looking down at my phone. When somebody is going high speeds, they are normally completely focused on the road, and not about little things that easily distract them.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    i learned my lesson ...yea it was cool that time, but im not gonna do anything like that anytime soon in teh future.ya know its a 1st time thing

My Cars
    E39 528i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by giterdone
    but ther eisn't much difference in a 16yr old doing 120 and a 40 yr old doing 120. They are both doing 120. Everyone says the 40 yr old has more experienc.e Yeah sure, driving down a road, he has more experienc.e But at high speeds like that? yeah probably not. Sure some people have had track time, or did DE's, or actually in CCA's, but most people have not. So really, nearly every single person who posts in the Kills section should be flamed for doing something royally dumb.

Do not yell at this kid just becuase he did it just becuase he got his license. And no reason to scold him either. Chances are he knew it was stupid. I know after every high speed encounter I do, at the end of it, I'm like holy cow that was dumb, but I still do it in the future.

For awhile, this bored was boring as hell, because everytime soembody posted a thread, about racing down the interstate, they got flamed like crazy by people yelling at them, saying they could've killed somebody on the road, or themselves or their passengers. So people stopped posting. We finally got most of those flames to stop, so we got to enjoy just the simple race itself.

All you ahve to do, is simply state what he did was dangerous, and dumb, and he should probably consider his actions in the future. You (not just chicane, but everybody) do not have to call the kid an idiot or anything of that nature.

Oh yeah, also, more accidents are caused by people messing with cell phones, their radio, or reaching for something in their car. I knwo I've almost got in an accident when looking down at my phone. When somebody is going high speeds, they are normally completely focused on the road, and not about little things that easily distract them.
    Good post.....
    Also, dont worry about heel and toe for DE's...it will be WAAAAAYY down the road that it will become a significant factor...like when you are already at 95% and want to get to 96%.
    Just have fun and take it one step at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoes View Post
    I admit when I'm wrong, which is pretty rarely.

My Cars
    Dude, I've gone 140 on public roads, so I'm not claiming to be an angel. However, that was with ZERO traffic and guess what? I didn't 'almost hit' a fucking barrier.

The difference between a 16 year old on his first day of driving and someone over 25 is HUGE. I'd have to say all the times I've been in triple digits I've never come close to 'hitting something' like this jackass. What he did was stupid. Speeding, sure, but don't be a dumbass and speed with lots of traffic, or someplace where you're going to go out of control.

My Cars
    G8 GXP 6 SPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane
    Dude, I've gone 140 on public roads, so I'm not claiming to be an angel. However, that was with ZERO traffic and guess what? I didn't 'almost hit' a effing barrier.

I have to agree with Chicane. Granted, very few American drivers have a great deal of experience in triple digits, but i think you're ignoring the progression of driving experience.

I believe that there is no substitube for experience. I know that in three years of driving, ( I am also young) I learned a lot about controlling a vehicle.

From what it sounds like, the kid needed more low speed experiences in solo car control. I learned how to control rear ends coming loose at 17 at 20 miles an hour, and even then, i nearly screwed up my car.

We aren't coming down on the kid for racing, we're advising him to get a little more experience before driving at speeds where if something goes wrong, you can die even if you know what you're doing.

That's just my opinion, i'll clarify if necessary.

// flame on? =)

My Cars
    E30 325iC
    i dont doubt you were racing a saab.....

but as far as being a 9-3....

i think ur highly mistaken, i dont see your 318 ever ever taking a saab 9-3. no matter how shitty of a driver. that or the guy wasnt pushing it.

and i know because i speak from experiance, i have a 325i, and my friend has a 9-3, when we race i wont even touch him.

My Cars
    E39 528i Sport
    I should chime in and say I tested out a 9-3 today at the auction. The test track is only 150 yards or so...just enough to get up to 60mph and then slam on the brakes before the hay bails, but............................
    That sucker was quick and had a nice fat power band. I have never driven a 318i or 318ti but I dont think they would be in the same ballpark.
    It felt similar to an e46 330ci I tried also.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoes View Post
    I admit when I'm wrong, which is pretty rarely.

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by 1985Celica
    I have to agree with Chicane. Granted, very few American drivers have a great deal of experience in triple digits, but i think you're ignoring the progression of driving experience.

I believe that there is no substitube for experience. I know that in three years of driving, ( I am also young) I learned a lot about controlling a vehicle.

From what it sounds like, the kid needed more low speed experiences in solo car control. I learned how to control rear ends coming loose at 17 at 20 miles an hour, and even then, i nearly screwed up my car.

We aren't coming down on the kid for racing, we're advising him to get a little more experience before driving at speeds where if something goes wrong, you can die even if you know what you're doing.

That's just my opinion, i'll clarify if necessary.

// flame on? =)
    No I understand what you're saying. i even told the TS what he did was dangerous and he should be more safe. I'm saying people don't have to flame him, insult him, and refer to his intellectual capacity in a dimunitive manner just because he nearly messed his own car up.

Chicane, you said you have been over 140, but never almost hit a barrier. That could change, if you're going 140 and you hit a slight bump in the road that you were not prepared for, then you might be hitting a barrier, and seeing sky then ground, sky then ground, and then sky again.

Also, 9-3's are decently quick (at least on paper) I've never driven one. But they have like 230 hp or something around there I think. They come stock with a turbo so they can be made quick. It was probably a 900 or 9000.
    -Chaz

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by stylett9
    i think ur highly mistaken, i dont see your 318 ever ever taking a saab 9-3. no matter how -------- of a driver. that or the guy wasnt pushing it.
    Edit your profanity, or this thread is locked when a mod gets on.
    -Chaz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast