Thread: ignition kill switch??? how can it be done?

My Cars
    99 M3

ignition kill switch??? how can it be done?

Hello how would i put an ignition kill switch on my 318i. I want to get one and put it under my dash somewhere hidden.

Thanks..
    Clifton

My Cars
    e46 M3 Carbon Black
    I've got one of these on the battery...

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~smithm3/battery_switch.htm

When the green dial is removed current will only flow through the fuse. If the starter is engaged (or anything over 15 amps) the fuse will blow and the car won't start.

It's nice bec. you can disable the car basically, but not have to deal with putting the codes back in the radio when you fire it up again.

My Cars
    e46 M3 Carbon Black
    picture

My Cars
    SRT8
    you could try splicing in a switch that would turn voltage to the fuel pump on and off.

One word of caution:
    I installed a hidden ignition kill switch on a motorcycle once, using an average quality toggle from Radio Shack. Actually, I guess that makes it a likely inferior toggle switch... Anyway, my wife and I were riding across Colorado somewhere when we needed to pass a string of Mobile Road Blocks (aka RV's). We had 2 to go, clipping along at about 95, with a semi coming towards us about 1/4 mile ahead. Lots of room.
    Then we hit a big frost heave in the road. The toggle flipped, killing the ignition. I figured out what happended immediately and grabbed a bunch of brake and slipped back between 2 of the MRB's and dove for the shoulder. Reset the switch and taped it securely on, went on. I've also had automobile alarm ignition kill relays momentarily open when hitting big bumps.
    I replaced the switch with a Mil-Spec connector with high reliability gold contacts and positive locks. The ignition wire goes in pin 1 on conn A, loops around from pin 1 to 2 on conn B, and on to the coils from pin 2 on conn A. To disable the ignition, I unplug the connector B and take it with me.
    No problems in 8 years.