Thread: Throttle stop on e36 in track/race car

My Cars
    '95 M3 CR car - IP // '98 M3/4 Daily Driver

Q - Throttle stop on e36 in track/race car??

Just wondered...what do most people racing e36's here do for a throttle stop on the car??? Do most (if not all) just use the OE unit ...OR like the Clutch Stop from UUC et al, are there some custom fabrications that work better or are preferred??

After a BAD experience last Sept. (which I may never know if this was the reason or not...) I want to ensure I have whatever works the best...

Thanks!
    Dave

BMWCCA CR
    1995 M3
    #65, IP

My Cars
    '91 E34 M5, '89 325i, '00 Saab 9-5 Wagon
    What was the bad experience? I've never been aware of a problem.

My Cars
    BMW M3 LTW
    rollie are you talking about a way to prevent a stuck throttle? that's different that a device like a clutch stop because a clutch stop prevents the clutch pedal travel to just where it needs to be...not the same as preventing a "stuck" pedal...
    Sunir
    M3 LTW
    #22 HP

My Cars
    Well, my street driven '98 M3/4 DD has a what appears to be a throttle stop under the mid - upper section of the pedal. My '95 track car has never had anything in there (a similar but smaller threaded whole to what the clutch stop threads into).

The bad experience was my wacking the 5a wall at Mosport at ~50-60 mph last Sept. in the CCA club race, when what I believe my throttle got stuck open.

Since then, I've heard of 2 or 3 others (herein Ontario alone) where that's happened as well - whether or not they both were missing a throttle stop (as I was) I'm not sure - I know one of the incidents did not have one.

Sunir, by throttle stop, I mean something which limits the plastic BMW OE pedal and top linkage from being depressed too far and causing a "binding" w/ the linkage...

Dave

My Cars
    Ahh, understood...it shouldn't be too hard to fab something up if you know the thread pitch.

My Cars
    00xp race ski, 08 750il
    i just took a closer look at my friends dm car over the weekend and noticed that there is a bolt there stopping the pedal, nothing special just a long bolt adjusted to the right hight
    Cars sold now
    #150 WC emra
    andrew vovou

My Cars
    OK - Vodo thanks for that input...that's what I was thinking ...or just get the actual factory pc out of another car(wrecked e36) which I've been missing all along...
    Dave

My Cars
    993C4S Mk7 GTI
    Hi Dave,
    I just made a stop similar to the clutch mod for my old M3 racecar. Also, let me know if you ever drive through Dayton on 75 south. you need to shop at "Marks Bargain Basement" for E36 race spares....

My Cars
    Hey Mark, Thanks - will do....did I read you're out of it at least for now I guess with the new little one and all???

How are things going?
    Dave

My Cars
    993C4S Mk7 GTI
    Yea, I sold the car and bought a 996. It is an awesome street car. It has full aero kit, 19" Champions, full carbon fiber interior etc. It also has a baby seat in the back. I will still instruct an event or two from time to time. I also have a friends with club miata cars that I may do a few times. At least I can drive the car versus just looking at the racecar and deciding what to fix next....

My Cars
    Yes
    not sure how the throttle stop under the pedal would cause a "stuck" throttle.

i'm guessing the cable on the throttle body got hung up and stayed open. i have a little clip on my throttle cable holding it together where it bolts to the plenum on my e30 m3 to prevent this. i'm not as familiar w/ the e36 setup.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jht3
    not sure how the throttle stop under the pedal would cause a "stuck" throttle.
    It wouldn't cause it, it would PREVENT it.

If you push the throttle past a certain point, the linkage can bind up.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWRacerITS
    It wouldn't cause it, it would PREVENT it.

If you push the throttle past a certain point, the linkage can bind up.
    i misworded that. i meant how would a missing throttle stop cause a stuck throttle. a clutch stop just takes up the extra pedal distance. sounds like the throttle is different.

My Cars
    M3 IP CCA, NASA GTS3
    Roooooooooolie,

I have a spare M3 Parts car, I will take a look and see if there is one on it. I will bring it to Putnam if you want/need one.
    Paul

My Cars
    Hammy,
    You're da greatest thanks man! Might have a fab'd bolt thing as Mark had mentioned above by then, I ain't runnin another race w/o it (ie, the Glen next wknd) - can't believe I did bumpy Sebring w/o it in Jan...jeeeeez where's my mind???

If it's not too much hassle - much appreciated!!!

Looks like Putnam's (and the Glen for that matter the wk prior w/ NINE - count 'em 9 IP cars) is shapin' up to be quite the romp eh??

Dave

Factory is an M8x71 bolt. Nothing else needed - not a large head like the clutch stop.

If you don't have the pedal stop, the hinge at the top of the pedal hyperextends and flips stuck the wrong direction. As another note, it is worth your effort to at least ziptie the bottom of the pedal to the body of the car. Replacing the pedal as PM is nice - I have seen a few break at the track - imagine how many times the joints at the top and bottom have flexed by the time the car has 50k miles...

James Clay
    Race Proven Performance
    www.bimmerworld.com
    www.bimmerworldracing.com

My Cars
    James - exactly...

I responded to "jht" with virtually the same description but for some reason it didn't come through...oh well - Thanks!

That's exactly what I used last night to remedy the situation...believe me it's well worth the $52(CAD) I paid for the NEW OE pedal mechanism, regardless of how old your track car is. I'd even be so inclined to replace the pedal assembly(given it is only plastic) once every 2-3 years from now on, after my experience and that of others...

Dave Rowlison