Thread: Help! Do I need a new radiator?

Unhappy Help! Do I need a new radiator?

This has not been a good day for my car. I parked my car today after driving for awhile, and did not notice anything wrong. I came back about 10 minutes later and notices steam coming out the front vents, and a large puddle of antifreeze under the car. I was like "What the heck?!?". So I pop the hood and there is antifreeze all over the place. Turned out that the upper hose came disconnected from the radiator.

Here is the worst part: the part of the radiator where the hose connects to BROKE OFF in the hose. In other words the opening to the radiator that sticks out a few inches, where the hose raps around, mostly broke off. There is just a small uneven stub now.

Has anyone else had this happen? Can I re-attach this piece or do I need a whole new radiator? It sucks because it is molded plastic, so I don't know how I could attach that piece or replace it. If I need a new radiator, where is the best place to get one, and how much should I expect to pay? Thanks guys!!
    1995 BMW 325is 5-spd.
    Arctic grey on black.
    ECIS CAI.
    AA Chip.

My Cars
    AA Turbo 325, Infiniti
    This is almost as common as needing brakepads. Visit some of our fine vendors such as bimmerparts for a nicely priced rad.

Water pump will fail too, if not a new design. If you are not 100% sure it's been changed that do that while you got everything apart, and also the thermostat and check the hose condition too. You can get everything for under $250.00 from some of the board supporting vendors. Water pump pic after failure.

Last edited by John (PA); 06-24-2002 at 07:37 AM.

My Cars
    '99 323ti, '20 X5
    Yeah I had that happen. It's a common failure. I tried to repair it (I'm a cheap bastard) by using some plastic from Coke bottle and some epoxy. It worked ok but it still leaked a little (I later found out that I made a fine repair, but the hose was in need of replacement as well), si I went ahead and got the new radiator. it's easy as hell to replace, though. Just pop the two clips on top, remove the two hoses and out it comes. Easy as pie.
    -Bungy.

1999 323ti
    2005 530i 6-speed
    2020 X5
    2013 Mini Cooper S

Any other parts I need along with the actual radiator???
    1995 BMW 325is 5-spd.
    Arctic grey on black.
    ECIS CAI.
    AA Chip.

My Cars
    Yes, cars.
    I just did mine, too. I went ahead and replaced the hoses, the drive belt and A/C belt too since they were easily accessible.

make sure you have a zip tie handy to connect the overflow tank to the radiator.

Oh, and if you break those radiator clips, I have a couple I'll send you.
    Jeff
    2004 325XI Sport Package

My Cars
    everywhere
    Anyone know of an upgraded radiator for the e36? Better cooling ability and a 'direct replacement.'

My Cars
    AA Turbo 325, Infiniti
    The stock rad is quite efficient. Guys are running 400HP+ with all stock cooling components.

My Cars
    2021 330i, 1997 M3/4/5
    The motherf#%^$* gave up on me saturday, easy to replace, but paid 270.00 for it at BMW of Manhattan, plus hoses it was 316.00 had to buy it from them, could not be without the car for the weekend.
    Daily driver if it does not break

Question

Does anyone know what possesed BMW to build the Radiator, water pump, and thermostat housing out of plastic??? The BMW engineers must have known they would break after awhile. I mean my car cost $35,000 new, you would think it would come with metal parts. My roomates 1985 Honda Accord has a metal radiator....it costs $8,000 new...
    1995 BMW 325is 5-spd.
    Arctic grey on black.
    ECIS CAI.
    AA Chip.