Thread: couldn't find anywhere that sells tire warmers, so I made my own (pics)

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,

couldn't find anywhere that sells tire warmers, so I made my own (pics)

They are thermal reflective material inside and vynil on the outide. They were sized specifically for my wheels. Yes I got the silver to match the rollbar and interior (i am wierd like that). They actually came out very nicely. In fact, my buddy's wife (who made them) is considering starting to sell them (made to order).

and here's one without the warmers...
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    1991 M5
    more pics of the toro loco!!!@!@!!111

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    Quote Originally Posted by e30sd
    more pics of the toro loco!!!@!@!!111
    I don't think I have any, I will have to take some another day. Its a rabiit with a big aluminum wing on the roof, it hilarious, but the guy is freaking fast.

found some.... here you go

http://www.pbase.com/mx5/wor05pe1&page=6
    -Jason

Weekend Car

'99 Boston Green M Roadster - intake, M50 manifold, schrick cams, magnaflow exhaust, TCK D/A Coilovers 500/600, RD front bar, ltw flywheel & clutch, harddog rollbar, schroth harnesses, zionsville radiator, S54 oil cooler, stewart pump, etc ..... ~245rwhp

My Cars
    cars
    Do you have any data showing these worked, or were they merely working as tire covers from UV?

My Cars
    97 M3 komp, 91 Porsche 944S2, 80 Scirocco, 76 530i
    Can you elaborate on how to make these? I seen the material at Home Depot, hot water tank blankets. Glued together or? Do you make atemplate first out of cardboard or?

My Cars
    S52 M Roadster, WRX,
    I don't have any data yet. If i had a pyrometer, I would take some measurement.

honstly, I only saw pieces of how they were being made. there is some spray adhasive, but all the seems are sown. I don't know if she made a cardboard cutout for a template or not, but I don't think she did.
    -Jason

Weekend Car

My Cars
    Jetta, Titan
    They work in an autox setting for sure. I've had some before when I ran a single driver Miata. Basically on a cold day they can do two things: keeping in the residual heat from the tires from radiating out into the air as well as keeping the wind from cooling the tires. I haven't used a pyrometer, but just from putting a hand on the tires, you can tell a difference.

Some people will wrap the car entirely in reflective material to try to keep the residual engine/exhaust heat under the car to help keep the tires warm. It makes all the difference on cold mornings when you're in the first run group.

As far as making them, I used the reflective water heater blankets which I cut out a flat bottomed circle shape the diameter of the tire and then cut strips the width of the tread + a little. I then used the metallic/aluminum tape to tape the corners together. They ended up pretty stiff and fit in the passenger seat of the car (Miata) pretty well.

If you want to spend some $$ and get something that's really well constructed and serves as a tire bag for transport, go to Blackwatch Racing and get their tire bags.

-Mike
    Last edited by CodeMonkey; 05-28-2005 at 09:33 PM.
    Mike Shields
    2006|2007 SCCA DSP National Champion
    1993 BMW 325is | 92/192 DSP

Support Leukemia Research
    Light The Night Walk for the Leukemia-Lymphoma Society
    Eurosport High Performance