Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there CD Players that DON"T skip in our cars?

My Cars
    06 M3, 01 Pathfinder

Are there CD Players that DON"T skip in our cars?

I've tried many CD Receivers in my car (Alpine, Clarion, Nakamichi) and they all seem to skip on light bumps. I've installed many stereos before so I feel I am pretty knowledgeable. I know that my M roadster is not the smoothest riding car but I’m wondering if I am missing something here. Is there a “trick” I don’t know of? The radio is supported in the back (using the existing alarm “finger” holder and all brackets are tight. Are there receivers with built in “buffers” Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

My Cars
    '07 M Z4 Roadster
    Haven't had any problems with my stock business CD (RDS) player. And there are quite a few speedbumps etc around here.

My Cars
    07 Z4MC; 00 Z3 Roady
    I've got the "stock" Alpine 6-disk changer in the trunk and I think it's only skipped once and that was when I bottomed out the car hard enough to do $465 worth of damage to the front spoiler... Other than that it's been rock solid for me. I didn't do anything special on the install, just bolted it in and put the gray cover over it...
    Doing my small part to bring a bit of class to a world woefully lacking in it:

My Cars
    06 M3, 01 Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Seafodder
    I've got the "stock" Alpine 6-disk changer in the trunk and I think it's only skipped once and that was when I bottomed out the car hard enough to do $465 worth of damage to the front spoiler... Other than that it's been rock solid for me. I didn't do anything special on the install, just bolted it in and put the gray cover over it...
    I know that a CD changer might help but I was avoiding that as I need all the room in my trunk as I can. It might come down to that though.

My Cars
    07 Z4MC; 00 Z3 Roady
    I've been very happy with my 6-CD changer. I think I saw one on eBay that was pretty cheap though I don't have a link handy for it. If it comes down to getting one, that's the 1st place I'd look...
    Doing my small part to bring a bit of class to a world woefully lacking in it:

My Cars
    suck. Miss my boat: 26' MotionCat
    Quote Originally Posted by momoboy
    Is there a “trick” I don’t know of?

iPod
    John
    2001 ///M Roadster F: CG/Koni short coil-over struts/Eibach, Wilwood front brakes, CG tubular swaybar. R: TC Kline springs, short Bilsteins, shortened swaybar, IE sub & swingarm bushings & shock mounts, 3.23 gear, Rogue dual-ear cover, Eisenmann 4x83 pipes. Misc: Sport mode, Rogue pulleys, keyless, RG Motorsport intake, OZ Superleggera 18" 3 piece. SOLD, Coming Next: building a 34 Ford Hot Rod.
    2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe
    2006 Hemi Durango
    2005 Scion xB
    2007 Scion tC
    2007 Yamaha FZ1, Mr. 10.5
    1989 Reynard F2000

My Cars
    06 M3, 01 Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by QikSilver
    iPod
    I am going to do that now anyway. Seems like the best alternative as it takes no room and my radio has an AUX IN.

My Cars
    '00 BMW MCoupe, '06 Mazda3 sT HB
    I am going to do that now anyway. Seems like the best alternative as it takes no room and my radio has an AUX IN.

FYI:
    There's a Dension IceLink Plus for sale in the classifies. 3 months old for a good discount from retail.
    '00S52 RETIRED

'07 Silver Gray E86 MCoupe

My Cars
    M Roadster
    I'm running a Kenwood with a flip-frontplate. It has skipped a few of times, but I was much more disturbed about the vibrations going through my car than missing two seconds of music. What's funny is that the player stores a few seconds of music, so I don't know it has skipped until after I've already left the offending patch of pavement.

I don't think it has skipped in a few months. Now that I know my most frequented roads I avoid the offensive patches, or slow to a more car friendly speed.

98 ///M Roadster - Sharked, FDK, twin Magnaflows, UUC Stage II Flywheel, OEM M5 Clutch, UUC TME Red & Enforcers, Zimmerman rotors, Cosmos CAI, ProjectorZs w DDE, 6K HIDs, fatter rubber on the corners, UUC Underdrive Pulleys, and Stewart High Performance water pump

My Cars
    e30, e46, Super Duty
    I have a Pioneer headunit ($200 one or so) doesn't skip.
    1991 e30 318is Slicktop - Gone
    1996 LS1 Z3 - Gone
    99 e46 323i - Gone
    2003 e46 xiT - Hers
    2014 F-250 CC- Mostly stock

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    my pioneer 9800 skipped like 2 times in like 3 years...and those were HUGE potholes i dindt se bc they were filled wit rain water...

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    BMW z3(1.9l)+t25@7.5psi, Triumph TT600
    I've used four diff. headunits in my car over the years, and my current panasonic head unit is the best although less expensive then 2 of my other HU's. I have h&r race so i figure I have to live with it. All four skip on hard bumps, which I experience regularly in north florida.
    Last edited by BuddyDuddy; 05-23-2005 at 03:36 PM.

My Cars
    07 RAMHEMi - H&B 630csi
    get a new suspension...

My Cars
    02 M Roadster, 99 XJR
    I've the stock single disc in dash player -- skips very frequently on our crap roads.

My Cars
    01 330Ci, 06 F350 SD
    I have a Clarion 945MC - has never skipped! I love it...

\\\01 330Ci Schwarz II

My Cars
    01 M Coupe SB 07 4Runner (work car)
    I just want to find a headunit that is black with orange display that has Sirius.

My Cars
    01 330Ci, 06 F350 SD
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday
    I just want to find a headunit that is black with orange display that has Sirius.
    Clarion - There Mandarin color matches almost exactly and the unit I have has a built in Sirius tuner...and they are black

\\\01 330Ci Schwarz II

My Cars
    01 M Coupe SB 07 4Runner (work car)
    Quote Originally Posted by idblackZ3
    Clarion - There Mandarin color matches almost exactly and the unit I have has a built in Sirius tuner...and they are black
    Thanks I will be checking them out.

My Cars
    2002 M roadster
    I've tried many CD Receivers in my car (Alpine, Clarion, Nakamichi) and they all seem to skip on light bumps. I've installed many stereos before so I feel I am pretty knowledgeable. I know that my M roadster is not the smoothest riding car but I’m wondering if I am missing something here. Is there a “trick” I don’t know of? The radio is supported in the back (using the existing alarm “finger” holder and all brackets are tight. Are there receivers with built in “buffers” Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.
    Neither of my Alpines has ever skipped, but I only put mp3 CDs in them (which means a decent amount of buffering). KW V3 suspension.

My Cars
    1997 bmw z3
    I have a clarion and it skips all the time, even for a slight bump that i don't notice until the CD skips. I think the best alternative is a CD changer or an upgrade on the suspension and the first one is cheaper and more usefull.

My Cars
    06 M3, 01 Pathfinder
    Our roads in the spring are pretty bad as the winter is tough on them. A new suspension would only make it worse as I am probably lowering the car and adding IE bushings so after that, I may give up on playing CD's! I think an IPOD would be the best solution as it can hold more music and will never skip. Thanks for all your suggestions.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.8

Clarion DXZ735MP: No skipping at all

And the mandarin color looks good night and day.

-Llama

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.8, 2000 328Ci
    . I know that my M roadster is not the smoothest riding car but I’m wondering if I am missing something here. Is there a “trick” I don’t know of?

One guy over on Roadfly came up with a trick fix, which involves putting some bits of strategically padded foam around the head unit. You might want to try searching over there (his name is Skin Mechanic if you wanna try their search function )

Come to The Insane House of Wacky People

Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and—as it always has—rock crushes scissors.

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    Clarion ProAudio 845 here, set to Mandarin with an IPod hooked into the AUX IN. No skips...but then, the suspension is still stock
    997 Carrera 2S..the choice of 2 out of 3 Top Gear presenters.

My Cars
    '14 GLK250, '13 Abarth
    Mine skips so much, it's not even funny.

I hate it anyway.

I want one with red lighting. Nakamichi?

1999 Cosmos Black/Dove Grey BMW ///M3 convertible - 5 speed - SOLD

2005 Atlantic Blue Pearl/Taupe Leather Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Wagon - 5 speed
    - SOLD

2014 Tenorite Grey/Black Mercedes-Benz GLK 250 - bone stock.

2013 Bianco/Rosso Abarth 500c - 5 speed

2016 Oxford White/Grey Ford Transit 250 Powerstroke 148 MR (DIY RV conversion)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast