Thread: 79 Euro 635csi vs. 95 Deville...I hope he had mods

My Cars
    1988 M5

79 Euro 635csi vs. 95 Deville...I hope he had mods

So I'm driving home from school today. Last day of high school (I'm a senior), so I'm in a pretty good mood. Heading south on Hwy. 183, not too many cars on the road at 12:45, so I'm pushin' it a little bit.

There's a part of the road near where 183 crosses the Colorado, that has concrete barriers on both sides of the road. Perfect for opening it up. I take the car up to about 90 or 95 for a little bit, and blow past this Cadillac that's going 65 or so (Speed limit is 55). I didn't really think anything of him at the time.

I'm coming up to the point where 183 merges with another road, so I start slowing down. As I do, I notice that the Caddy is fairly close behind me, not tailgating or anything, but close-especially considering I left him behind earlier.

We merge with traffic, I stay in the left lane, the Caddy gets in the far right. We come up to a red light, there's some sort of SUV in the middle lane, me on the left, the Caddy on the right.

The light turns green. Now, you gotta understand how I pull away from lights. I never launch at lights, or floor it off the line, but I do pull away right after the light changes, so I usually get the jump on anybody who isn't purposely racing. So I do the same here-pull away as soon as the light changes, but shift at 3000 rpm like a civilized person. About the time I go to make the 1-2 shift, out of the corner of my eye I can see that Caddy, and he's out in front of the SUV also, alongside me, 2 lanes over. So, I go WOT in 2nd at about 20 mph or so.

Since I'm out of my powerband, at about 2400 rpm, the Cadillac pulls about a 3/4 CL on me. As I wind out 2nd, I make up that distance, and now we're neck and neck - shift to 3rd at 5500 rpm, still not pulling on him, what the hell? - start winding out 3rd, this guy is STILL next to me.

By this time, we've hit 70, and I'm suddenly realizing that there are a LOT of cars on the other side of the road. I see an unmarked brown Crown Vic - spotlight on the mirror? Holy crap, I let off the throttle, brake back down to the 55 speed limit. The Caddy lets off the throttle shortly after I do, and changes into the center lane. I look over, the driver is a short guy with a shaved head, I think he was a Mexican, looked to be in his 20s or late teens. He doesn't look over, but is holding up a thumbs up. I return it, he speeds up and exits on the 290 exit.

So, in summary, 0-70 run, we're even-no winner. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't walk him once I went WOT, but, hey, at least I didn't lose. I don't know if he had the Northstar V8 or not, and I really have no idea what sort of times a Deville runs in the quarter. As I said earlier, it would make me feel better if he had mods, but I don't understand why anyone would mod a Deville? He looked like the type of guy who would mod his car, though. My mods are cams, headers, and Weber DCOEs. Based on speculation by other members of this board, I'm probably putting out anywhere from 240 all the way up to 280 bhp. I guess I should just go ahead and dyno it. Oh well.

My Cars
    1989 325i 2003 540i
    My '92 Deville has 200 horse 275 torque...I don't know what a Euro 635csi's stats are, but I also believe the N* has higher numbers than mine...lemme check.

And the reason someone would mod a caddy is hard to justify, unless you want to have a comfy car with a lot of pick-up. Modding older caddies is wicked tough though...lol no aftermarket at all. Best mod for us is clean the throttle bodies and change the spark plugs.

My Cars
    1989 325i 2003 540i
    Yeah, looked it up,

Horsepower 275 @ 5600
    Torque (ft/lbs) 300 @ 4000

stock.

Cadillac is comfy, but they are made to carry their own weight...2 tons of it or so.

Edit: If it was in fact a N*, otherwise it's the 4.9L with 200 hp 275 tq
    Last edited by Mahalaleel; 05-26-2005 at 12:06 AM.

My Cars
    1988 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahalaleel
    My '92 Deville has 200 horse 275 torque...I don't know what a Euro 635csi's stats are, but I also believe the N* has higher numbers than mine...lemme check.
    I wouldn't suppose you've ever run your car at the track?
    No matter, I think his was a few years newer than yours, completely different body style and probably the Northstar engine.
    But dang, the Northstar puts out quite a bit of low end torque. I know he's got at least 800 more pounds of weight than me, but still....

My Cars
    1989 325i 2003 540i
    Nah, I don't track my car it handles like a life raft...

My Cars
    97 M3 RIP / 2007 M6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahalaleel
    Nah, I don't track my car it handles like a life raft...
    lol, clever way of putting it. So I guess it corners like it's on rails eh?
    -Chaz
    My SSK Faq (primarily e36 M3)

Don't PM Me. My box is way overfilled from when I was a mod. Email me if you have to get a hold of me.

My Cars
    1989 325i 2003 540i
    nah, corners like it's rolling in a plate of jello

My Cars
    The Three and the Two
    Whats the redline on the CSI? Isnt it 6000+? Either you shifted early, or your engine starts losing power after 6k. Those 6 bangers dont need to rev much past 5500, but you do have sidedrafts, and a cam, so it should need to rev higher than stock.
    BMWe

1976 BMW 2002
    1995 BMW 325i Saloon

My Cars
    1988 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohtwo
    Whats the redline on the CSI? Isnt it 6000+? Either you shifted early, or your engine starts losing power after 6k. Those 6 bangers dont need to rev much past 5500, but you do have sidedrafts, and a cam, so it should need to rev higher than stock.
    Well, since there's no rev limiter, I don't know an exact point-the 6000 to 7000 part of the tach is red, but the 6500-7000 part has a thicker band of red. So I'd say the redline is 6500? I just shifted at 5500 because I've noticed that the engine noticeably stops pulling as hard after that point. However, shifting at 5500 may be dropping me out of my powerband. I'm not sure.