Thread: Help with door lock

I need some help, guys. I've had a stiff door lock on the driver side. Used graphite powder in the lock. Washed car yesterday and this morning I could hardly get the key in to unlock car and couldn't turn it at all. Had to unlock using the trunk, didn't try passenger door. What should I try now, a spray type? Thanks.

My Cars
    '97 328i
    whats the temp like outside?

any chance of it being frozen?
    '97 328i, Montreal blue
    '86 535i Champagne (sold!)
    Sandbox IT

It was below freezing. Could have been frozen from washing the car the day before, but I had been having trouble with the lock being stiff. That's why I used the graphite powder, but it's been colder and I never was unable to turn the lock at all. Hope it's just the water from washing. Have you ever had any experience with the aerosol lock spray stuff?

My Cars
    '97 328i
    the spray or the non spray (in the squeeze bottle) both work for me, use the one that an antifreeze and a lubricante, that should solve your problems.

often after washing my car in the cold my locks will become forzen or really stiff.
    '97 328i, Montreal blue
    '86 535i Champagne (sold!)
    Sandbox IT

My Cars
    /// 95 M3

Red face

I would say that it was because it was frozen man. Because you washed it the day before. I don't know if i would worry about it but I am not an expert.
    A sports car isn't a car unless you know how to drive it!

Come and visit my part of the web.http://nathanhodge.homestead.com
    BUY MY ///M

Thanks all. I think I'll go get some of the spray and try that. It's warmer today so maybe it will dry somewhat.

My Cars
    325I 1993

Doors wont lock

Ok Guys I am cominging to the conclusion that BMWs are pure junk! As soon as I fix one problem another one arrives. I can not get the DAMN car to lock. I use the key to lock the door and they pop back up. They will not lock. Any ideas on what the retarded peice of crap is doing NOW???? HELP!~!!!

My Cars
    '99 M3, '94 318IC
    Quote Originally Posted by batmmannn View Post
    Ok Guys I am cominging to the conclusion that BMWs are pure junk! As soon as I fix one problem another one arrives.
    No, they're not ALL JUNK,....just yours. I think you are starting to understand why you got yours at the price you did.

Your driver's side microswitch or the signal it is suppose to send to tell the Locking Unit is malfunctioning. You can validate this if your windows are not venting and sealing when you close the driver's side door. Lots of DIY's on it if you decide to use your eyes to do the searching.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticka View Post
    whats the temp like outside?

any chance of it being frozen?
    I suspect that's exactly what happened....Any lubricant sprayed in there right now would be useless, use a water displacement like WD-40 first to remove the moisture and then when it warms up, spray lubricant in there to prevent moisture from returning.....FYI never wash these cars if you know it's frozen outside unless you have keyless entry.
    Last edited by smurfdawg; 02-15-2008 at 07:00 PM.