Thread: Gain Setting with a DMM

My Cars
    '96 Hellrot 328is
    Haha im glad everyone has high voltages lol. Mine are goin to be at 17.8

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by WildStorm
    Haha im glad everyone has high voltages lol. Mine are goin to be at 17.8
    depending on the efficiency of your speakers, that could still be enough to make your ears bleed.

My Cars
    '96 Hellrot 328is
    It works pretty well now and my gains are all the way down Ive not really messed with adjusting the amp too much. Waiting on my new cd player to get here before I do. Then im going to take a baseball bat to the stupid Kenwood thats in the car now

My Cars
    '92 318i, '96 318ti Cali Top
    The simplest way to do this is to just take the rms rating on the amp @ whatever ohm load you wish to use and just plug it into the equation. If the rest of this writeup is a jumble of words then just remember that using the rms power rating of your amp will work most of the time.
    Silly question probably, but how to I configure my DMM? I think I have things set correct, and I am getting close to the numbers I beleive I should for the sub, i.e., somewhere around 24.9v (profile 440W: rms = 150X2 bridged) from the chart says about 25v.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325ci
    well someone correct me if im wrong but arent most speaker resistance off by a little bit? if you wanted to get a more accurate calculation you could hook up the DDM in ohm mode and check the resistance of ur speakers... well at least for subwoofers it would work pretty well.

My Cars
    BLK E39 540/6 95 AVUS M3
    question
    my calculation for the setup im tuning is 40v and it is also using an alpine deck .
    the alpine amp only has a lpf, so what should i set the gain on the amp to, (80-90%), before i adjust the lpf to 40v?
    should i set the sw level on the deck to 9?

Chad Andreo Photography
    Engine: CAI, Catless and Dinan Exhaust
    Exterior: Slammed on FK Coilovers, 6K HIDS and 6K CCFL's, M5 Front Bumper, M5 Side Mirrors
    Interior: Sound System, ZHP Knob

My Cars
    02 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by eric77 View Post
    29 volume might be pushing it. I believe most alpines start to clip around 25.
    Yes. Thats exactly with I saw with my alpine head unit and a Zapco SX-SL (crossover/EQ) that has input Clip indicators. I would suggest 26 as the highest for the volume control.

Great thread!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123