Thread: Need help on Hill Recognition for 2002 M3 SMG!!

Talking Need help on Hill Recognition for 2002 M3 SMG!!

Can anybody tell me what is the definition of Hill Recognition system on 2002 M3 SMG????

Thanks very much:eyes1

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    When you are on a hill... hold the smg selector in the upshift position (pull back). The RPMs on the car will raise slightly. You can then release the brake and the car will hold itself in position with the clutch. This is called the hill-start feature. After 3-4 seconds, if you have not moved off, the clutch will re-engage and roll backwards.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

Help on Hill Recognition

Kevlar,

That is called Hill Assist feature, I think Hill Recognition is something else.

Thanks Anyway
    :

My Cars
    None
    SMG vehicles have a sensor to tell the control unit if the vehicle is going uphill or downhill.

I believe this sensor aids in selecting the best gear for the vehicle when it is on automated mode.

Thus this feature is called hill recognition.

My Cars
    E30 325is
    Originally posted by Kevlar
    When you are on a hill... hold the smg selector in the upshift position (pull back). The RPMs on the car will raise slightly. You can then release the brake and the car will hold itself in position with the clutch. This is called the hill-start feature. After 3-4 seconds, if you have not moved off, the clutch will re-engage and roll backwards.
    For the record its called gradient assistance, and its done with the left paddle shifter.

On an incline press and hold the brake then hold the left "-" paddle for 1 second. Now its active, you will notice the car rev a bit more and it won't roll backward. To disable it simply tap the left paddle with the brake pressed when you are standing still. Now its off.

Brian

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Originally posted by dallasbboy

For the record its called gradient assistance, and its done with the left paddle shifter.

On an incline press and hold the brake then hold the left "-" paddle for 1 second. Now its active, you will notice the car rev a bit more and it won't roll backward. To disable it simply tap the left paddle with the brake pressed when you are standing still. Now its off.

Brian
    Watch the movie...

http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/special/smg/.../inclines.html

http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/special/smg/...o/inclines.zip

It seems that they call Hill Recognition and Gradient Assistance the same thing.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?