Thread: Factory Roof Rails - Bike Rack

My Cars
    '02 M3 Steel Grey Metallic

Factory Roof Rails - Bike Rack

Does anyone have the factory BMW rails installed on their 3 Series or E46? If so can you post some pictures?

While I know it is sacrilege to do, i have to get my bike to my races somehow.

Thanks in advance!

Adam P.

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Here is what the Thule rack looks like that I used on my M5. Same mount system as the M3. Great system as the rack does not touch the paint at all. I will certainly put mine on an E46 M3 if I end up getting one. M5 was traded for a Z06, so now I end up driving my SUV 75% of the time. Pretty annoying and starting to realize not worth it....

http://home.pacbell.net/dorenemc/M5Rack.html

Scott

My Cars
    Thanks!

My Cars
    2002 M3 SMG Carbon Black
    Sig shows Thule rails and a Packasport cargo box mounted in factory holes.

With snow tires and this rack system I traveled from Chicago -> WY -> UT -> MT -> BC and back this winter. The M is an amazingly versatile machine.

Mods: TCK d/a Coilovers, RG4 Monolites wrapped in 273/30/19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan 3.91 LSD, Dinan Rear Strut Brace, Turner Rear Sub-Frame Reinforcement Kit, Brembo GT 4 Wheel Kit.

reaktorcorps...since last thursday
    The Photography of Chad Spector

My Cars
    Cool! Do you guys feel like the THULE is a better product over the factory BWM rails?

My Cars
    2002 M3 SMG Carbon Black
    Quote Originally Posted by alperez
    Cool! Do you guys feel like the THULE is a better product over the factory BWM rails?

I think thule makes the factory rails. However, the factory mounting hardware is nicer than the hardware thule sells. The hex bolts and rench from thule strip easily, the bmw stuff seems more durable. I just replaced my thule bolts and wrench with the factory stuff but have yet to remount the rack.

Mods: TCK d/a Coilovers, RG4 Monolites wrapped in 273/30/19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan 3.91 LSD, Dinan Rear Strut Brace, Turner Rear Sub-Frame Reinforcement Kit, Brembo GT 4 Wheel Kit.

reaktorcorps...since last thursday
    The Photography of Chad Spector

My Cars
    tank
    I had the BMW rack and now have Thule

The BMW def. looked better... but I like the thule more but i felt it was more studier. Also the stuff is more interchangeable if u have diff cars(non BMW)... esp. if u r investing gobs of money on those accessories.

Thule>BMW racks

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtiger
    I had the BMW rack and now have Thule

The BMW def. looked better... but I like the thule more but i felt it was more studier. Also the stuff is more interchangeable if u have diff cars(non BMW)... esp. if u r investing gobs of money on those accessories.

Thule>BMW racks
    Which model # of the Thule racks are you guys running?

Adam