Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Dyno OBDII with HFM and custom AA software

My Cars
    96 alpine m3
    yeah good info. i just dynoed last week and my A/F ratio is running really rich using the shark software. i was thinking of getting the custom AA. I definately want to get it to run a little leaner so im torn what to do?

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcarlski
    Does that go(waste of time) for the HFM on a non cammed OBD2 motor/car as well?
    Yeah I was curious if it would show any gains since I have the m50 but there really weren't any gains. If you're getting software without cams then why not throw it on they are only about $150 anyways. I wouldn't go out of my way to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by saidgee
    yeah good info. i just dynoed last week and my A/F ratio is running really rich using the shark software. i was thinking of getting the custom AA. I definately want to get it to run a little leaner so im torn what to do?
    Do you have a before/after dyno with the shark? If your car is running rich after why not get your money back or get them to fix the problem?

My Cars
    98AMG C55,99M3,412whp 95 AWD Eagle Talon Tsi
    Quote Originally Posted by hinzm3
    Yeah I was curious if it would show any gains since I have the m50 but there really weren't any gains. If you're getting software without cams then why not throw it on they are only about $150 anyways. I wouldn't go out of my way to install it.

Do you have a before/after dyno with the shark? If your car is running rich after why not get your money back or get them to fix the problem?
    With the shark I was more worried about the car running lean.There is a guy on hear who claims he's running 13.5 secs@105mph sharked no cams.Even posted a slip.I'm searching for the thread!

2015 bmw 335i Msport Xdrive 6 speed

My Cars
    96 alpine m3

not yet, i will re-install stock programming for the 1st pull next time (next week hopefully)

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcarlski
    With the shark I was more worried about the car running lean.There is a guy on hear who claims he's running 13.5 secs@105mph sharked no cams.Even posted a slip.I'm searching for the thread!
    I would also take into consideration that some people just have MONSTER motors for some reason. I mean there is a guy on here with just an intake/exhaust and he's putting down 231hp/240TQ!! And I beleive it because that car was pulling from me on the straights when we were at the track.

My Cars
    I would also take into consideration that some people just have MONSTER motors for some reason. I mean there is a guy on here with just an intake/exhaust and he's putting down 231hp/240TQ!! And I beleive it because that car was pulling from me on the straights when we were at the track.
    Cmon How would you know if software was installed or not? I can tell you or show you anything.

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaBimma
    those A/R ratios look way off in the mid range. usually its supposed to get progressively get more rich and then level off, not rich in middle than leaner up top. just a suggestion.
    Yeah I need to talk to AA still.
    did anything ever come of talking with AA about your A/F ratio? I am currently having the same problem with my car and its A/F using AA software with same mods.

also does your car misfire near 6500rpm in 2nd gear (most aparent gear for me) and in other gears too? my car misfires a few times around 6500rpm in 2nd. it does it in 4th pretty bad too, again around 6500rpm or so.

i have called AA about the lean mix and they gave me some crap about not having the intake air temperature sensor mounted in the manifold (m50 manifold does not provide a spot for it). i currently have it mounted in the heat shield for my intake, next to the filter, which i tend to think is good enough and would not cause the problems i'm having after installing their software.

as soon as i get my new wideband kit (within a month or so), i have a feeling AA is gonna be hearing lots from me.

Thanks!
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    Dyno: 242rwhp/232rwtq
    SOLD

My Cars
    99 M3
    I gave up on AA as they really don't seem to care. They don't live up to their promises timewise. I'm going to dump this software when Bimmerworld comes out with their Sunbelt cams/software.

I have the IAT sensor in the same location but I do not have any misfire problems that i know of. My IAT sensor will get moved to the m50 manifold as I have a kit coming. On cold starts the car does immediately almost die unless I give it some gas. This started immediately after the software revision. I would like the issue resolved but this is my daily driver and I can't let them have my DME right now. I will have a 2nd car in 2 weeks and might give them a call again to resolve this issue. I will most likely dyno again and send that along to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jworms
    did anything ever come of talking with AA about your A/F ratio? I am currently having the same problem with my car and its A/F using AA software with same mods.

also does your car misfire near 6500rpm in 2nd gear (most aparent gear for me) and in other gears too? my car misfires a few times around 6500rpm in 2nd. it does it in 4th pretty bad too, again around 6500rpm or so.

i have called AA about the lean mix and they gave me some crap about not having the intake air temperature sensor mounted in the manifold (m50 manifold does not provide a spot for it). i currently have it mounted in the heat shield for my intake, next to the filter, which i tend to think is good enough and would not cause the problems i'm having after installing their software.

as soon as i get my new wideband kit (within a month or so), i have a feeling AA is gonna be hearing lots from me.

Thanks!

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    I gave up on AA as they really don't seem to care. They don't live up to their promises timewise. I'm going to dump this software when Bimmerworld comes out with their Sunbelt cams/software.

I have the IAT sensor in the same location but I do not have any misfire problems that i know of. My IAT sensor will get moved to the m50 manifold as I have a kit coming. On cold starts the car does immediately almost die unless I give it some gas. This started immediately after the software revision. I would like the issue resolved but this is my daily driver and I can't let them have my DME right now. I will have a 2nd car in 2 weeks and might give them a call again to resolve this issue. I will most likely dyno again and send that along to them.
    hmm, i think you just solidified my decision to hook up a piggy-back unit so that i can do my own tuning without relying on crappy, off the shelf, software.

SMT-6 here i come.

Thanks.
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    SOLD

My Cars
    99 M3
    that would probably be the best solution.

My Cars
    hmm, i think you just solidified my decision to hook up a piggy-back unit so that i can do my own tuning without relying on crappy, off the shelf, software.

SMT-6 here i come.

Thanks.
    what is the website for this device? Thanx

My Cars
    1998 M3

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Snap, I want to dyno my car now to see if Santa dropped a freak powerful engine in my car too!

My Cars
    1970 2002; 1998 E36

Thanks!
    you know I have my IAT sensor installed in the intake boot just before the ASC TB. I didn't think it was the best place as temp in the manifold can be drastically different under high vac loads, like idle or low throttle positions. even under WOT the temp in the manifold has to be diff then before the TB.

although, I don't have any probs with the setup I have...it is interesting to me that there are these types of issues.

when I got my M50 manifold it actually had an old OBD1 IAT sensor screwed into the hole that we are supposed to plug...I wonder, would that IAT sensor work with the OBDII harness, prob not...is there a way to get the IAT sensor mounted in the manifold again.
    Eric Paul Eviston - 1 Piece Silicone Hose M50 Manifold Conversion Kit

******M50 Manifold Install Trouble Shooting Guide Here: www.m50manifold.com

'98 M3/4 - ECIS CAI, S50 Manifold, Conforti Software, 16" Spal Puller, UUC Pulleys, Fan Delete, UUC Stage 2 Fly w/M5 Clutch, UUC Blacks w/TMEs, X-Brace, GC RTAB shims, GC RSMs,
    M Roadster lever, 245x40x17 all 4 corners, Drilled Zimmermans, Motul RBF600 and Redline Synth fluids.
    My Dyno HERE
    My Website:
    www.m50manifold.com
    My Email:
    info@m50manifold.com

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by E36M3E
    you know I have my IAT sensor installed in the intake boot just before the ASC TB. I didn't think it was the best place as temp in the manifold can be drastically different under high vac loads, like idle or low throttle positions. even under WOT the temp in the manifold has to be diff then before the TB.

although, I don't have any probs with the setup I have...it is interesting to me that there are these types of issues.

when I got my M50 manifold it actually had an old OBD1 IAT sensor screwed into the hole that we are supposed to plug...I wonder, would that IAT sensor work with the OBDII harness, prob not...is there a way to get the IAT sensor mounted in the manifold again.
    I have the same 'OBD1 IAT' sensor in the m50 manifold i got (again from AA). After lots of searching i have found that it will not work with OBD2. AA's suggestion when i called them was to drill into the m50 manifold and epoxy my OBD2 sensor in.

SOLD

My Cars
    1970 2002; 1998 E36
    I have the same 'OBD1 IAT' sensor in the m50 manifold i got (again from AA). After lots of searching i have found that it will not work with OBD2. AA's suggestion when i called them was to drill into the m50 manifold and epoxy my OBD2 sensor in.
    I don't have any running issues with my current install location but I am looking into how to mount the sensor in the manifold.

the only prob I have with epoxying into the manifold is how to change it out if it goes bad. so I think the solution is to drill and tap the manifold for a plastic adaptor big enough to house the sensor. you could epoxy the sensor into the adaptor and then screw it into the manifold.

'98 M3/4 - ECIS CAI, S50 Manifold, Conforti Software, 16" Spal Puller, UUC Pulleys, Fan Delete, UUC Stage 2 Fly w/M5 Clutch, UUC Blacks w/TMEs, X-Brace, GC RTAB shims, GC RSMs,
    M Roadster lever, 245x40x17 all 4 corners, Drilled Zimmermans, Motul RBF600 and Redline Synth fluids.
    My Dyno HERE
    My Website:
    www.m50manifold.com
    My Email:
    info@m50manifold.com

My Cars
    1970 2002; 1998 E36
    another question about MAFs...why can't you take the sensor out of the OBDII MAF and install it into another body that is 3.5"s in diameter?

is there a calibration issue, i.e. the MAF sensor is sending signals based on flow of air theoretically through a 3" body?

My Dyno HERE
    My Website:
    www.m50manifold.com
    My Email:
    info@m50manifold.com

My Cars
    328is, civic
    wow, its always amazed me the kinda money euro tuners would spend on tuning. I used to have a drag civic Natural apsirated. I sold it yesterday.
    I had the option between 4different ecu pograms completely tuneable by me via laptop. The best part is that they were all FREE WARE made by other honda enthusiasts. I was able to adjust a/f, timing, vtec engagement, datalog, read sensor voltages, 2 step launch control, etc, etc. My advice for you is to use a piggy back of some sort for Natural Aspiration applications. The smt-7 is alot better the the smt-6 i hear. My experience tuninig with my civic is that there really isnt any difference in HP when changing a/f from 11's to 13's. maybe like 1-2whp but deffinately not worth th risk of running lean.

Im sorry but paying anything over 200bucs is waaaaaayyy too much for a custom chip mad by some guy on the other side of the country. No vehicle is the same whether or not they have the same mods. I never understood this whole custom chip crap without dyno the actual vehicle and then creating a chip for that very vehicle. MAybe a custom chip for a baseline to tune from but deffinately not for a final product. there is just no way to know if it makes power.

Sorry for the rant but i read numerous threads like this on here and it just makes me sick. I cant possibly understand how/why anyone would buy a aftermarket chip for xxx amount of dollars and expect it to make power because it did on someone elses car on the other side of the country.

I sold my drag civic so i can attempt to modify my bmw and have fun there. Maybe I can be of more help in the near future.
    1005whp/831wtq little bit of low boost pump gas magic...

My Cars
    99 M3
    Thats pretty much why I now have a Turbo e30 project

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by E36M3E

If you remove the OBD1 IAT sensor, instead of pluggin that hole you dremel down your OBD2 sensor and tap it with a 12X1.5 put some lo9ck thread and a dab of silicone at the top and screw that biotch in there.... BAM handled!

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by slytherin
    If you remove the OBD1 IAT sensor, instead of pluggin that hole you dremel down your OBD2 sensor and tap it with a 12X1.5 put some lo9ck thread and a dab of silicone at the top and screw that biotch in there.... BAM handled!
    have you done this? anything to watch out for when doing this? i like this idea a whole lot more than drilling the manifold. the sensor can be replaced much easier than the manifold.

Thanks!

SOLD

My Cars
    99 M3
    have you done this? anything to watch out for when doing this? i like this idea a whole lot more than drilling the manifold. the sensor can be replaced much easier than the manifold.

Thanks!
    Yes i did it when i did my manifold swap. I know a couple other people on here did it to, DEF for sure is another person who did it. Im glad i did as the swap is kinda goofy with zip tying shit everywhere id rather not just rip boots and put things anywhere. Also, ive seen someone mantion buying the OBD1 M3 intake boot and it can go in there or something? But for sure taping it worked wonders

My Cars
    1970 2002; 1998 E36
    Quote Originally Posted by slytherin
    Yes i did it when i did my manifold swap. I know a couple other people on here did it to, DEF for sure is another person who did it. Im glad i did as the swap is kinda goofy with zip tying shit everywhere id rather not just rip boots and put things anywhere. Also, ive seen someone mantion buying the OBD1 M3 intake boot and it can go in there or something? But for sure taping it worked wonders
    yeah I put it in the intake elbow...took the o-ring off the sensor housing and drilled the hole that size. seals good. today I actually hooked up my dads OBD computer analyzer and went for a drive. IAT was only about 5 degrees above ambient.

My Dyno HERE
    My Website:
    www.m50manifold.com
    My Email:
    info@m50manifold.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123