Thread: Lightweight modding?

My Cars
    '17 Pilot

Lightweight modding?

I've been toying with going aginst the grain to mod my car. For all intents and purposes its stock right now. I was thinking about leaving the engine alone and adding lightness as Colin Chapman would say. CF hood, trunk, lightweight battery and the other gammut of weight saving measures. Any idea what kind of gains I'd be looking at? I can feel a difference between an empty and full tank, so I thought it be nice to always have the lightness. Am I an idiot for thinking this. Better handling, braking, MPG, everything, but more $. Any thoughts?

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    You will get gains, but only in the percentage of weight you lose. Since our cars are 3175 lbs stock or so, just 5% is about 159 lbs. That's probably about how much you'll lose with all the stuff you're talking about doing if you still keep the sound deadening.

Good idea, it's just expensive.

I'd much rather just toss on a few bolt-ons and make 10% more power for a fraction the cost.

My Cars
    BMW318i s coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Def
    You will get gains, but only in the percentage of weight you lose. Since our cars are 3175 lbs stock or so, just 5% is about 159 lbs. That's probably about how much you'll lose with all the stuff you're talking about doing if you still keep the sound deadening.

I'd much rather just toss on a few bolt-ons and make 10% more power for a fraction the cost.
    what mods would you sugest to gain the 10% i have a 318i s coupe

My Cars
    332 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Def

Def i read in a car and driver that every 200 pounds off a given car youll gain .05 on a 1/4 mile

My Cars
    Ferrari 458, Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by ebydrc
    Def i read in a car and driver that every 200 pounds off a given car youll gain .05 on a 1/4 mile
    i think it's more commonly referred to as every 100lbs is one tenth in the 1/4 mile which also equates to what feels like +10rwhp.

but this is a very rough estimate and cannot always be used.
    UUC EVO III SSK | M50 Intake Manifold | Conforti 3.5" CAI | AA Software | 3.5" HFM (unplugged)
    Fan Delete | Strömung Exhaust | UUC Stg2 Ltw Flywheel | X-Brace | AA Track Pipe | 3.46 Differential

1/4 mile: 13.3@104.2mph; 8.6 in 1/8; 2.04 60' | Best 1/8 mile: 8.3@83mph; 1.81 60'
    Dyno: 242rwhp/232rwtq
    SOLD

My Cars
    Avus/Black 97 328is
    Yeah Ive heard about the 100 pounds equals .10 of a second.
    For Sale, E36
    92-95 Non M Airbag-$50
    21.5# injectors(50k miles)-$60
    Crystal Clear 4 door corners-$20
    Grey 2dr C Pillars covers-$30
    Grey Sunvisors-$30
    Grey Sunroof Motor cover-$10
    Grey Sunroof trim peice-#10

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=566229

My Cars
    332 turbo
    but that would be pretty relative?

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ebydrc
    .05 for 200lbs is 1/40 of a second per 100lbs of weight loss, not .1 of a second