Thread: ABS, ASC+T, brake & automatic transmission warning lights lit up...together!

My Cars
    E46 318i and 330i

Exclamation ABS, ASC+T, brake & automatic transmission warning lights lit up...together!

Was driving around town when the ABS, ASC+T, brake warning light and automatic transmission warning light all came on at once. In my mild panic I found a place to park, immediately switched off the engine and consulted the handbook. Quoting the handbook ' if the brake warning light comes together with the ABS and ASC+T warning lights, the complete ABS,CBC and ASC+T regulating system has failed. Drive carefully and study the traffic situation well ahead'.

For the automatic tranny 'if the telltale light comes, a fault has caused the automatic transmission to switch into emergency run program'. In another desciption 'if telltale light comes on, this indicates a transmission system malfunction. All levers positions can still be selected but in the forward positions only certain gears are actually available when the car is drive'.

Has anyone experienced this problem where the tranny warning light and car stability lights came on together? What will cause the complete regulating system of the car's stability functions to fail? Is it still safe to drive the car for a few more hours (recently had a flat tyre and currently using a 5 year old spare which I really need to replace and get the car aligned). There is a whirring sould coming from the engine compartment in the last few months which the mechanic says could be coming from the pump?? and also whenever I move the lever from R to D, it sticks in N first and I have to to depress/repress the lever to get to D.

Quite a lengthy description I know but this is the first time it happened in 5 years. Any advice is greatly welcomed!!

My Cars
    97 328i-e46 323i
    I know it's been a long time did you ever got it fixed and please
    list what was the problems and how it was fixes
    thanks

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328I
    your battery is almost dead. i got same problem last few months. after i changed the battery, everything work fine now.

My Cars
    2003 TiAg 325iT
    I would definitely suspect electrical weirdness. Verify battery output voltage.
    eeeks!

---"Angelina" '96 328isA S/C (The *sirius* ubercommuter) ERT/Vortech V2SQ with other goodies
    "Man, your car is scary fast...." *Prestige BMW, Jan.18, 2003* (sold )

---"theStealth" '03 TiAg 325iT

---ZURV1 (Zombie Urban Response Vehicle) 2010 Chevy Surburban

---bmwcca member # 179740

My Cars
    e30 325ic, e28 535is
    the asc/dsc control module going out will also cause those exact symptoms.
    the trans light came on BC the ASC module quit telling it how fast the car was going, and the ABS module also uses the calculated vehicle speed to tell if the wheels are slowing down correctly (not locked up)
    Erik

.:BFC Official Wiring Hell Club President:.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4
    My DSC light and Brake lite up yellow. I have been reading through some of remarks here, but Im confused Can this be fixed, and cost? Can I still drive my car short distance? Any help will help me. I live in Lake Worth FL, and having a hard time finding anyone who knows about BMW Z4. Do not want to go to Bramens BMW $$$$
    Last edited by yvonne12; 09-25-2018 at 08:07 AM.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Quote Originally Posted by yvonne12 View Post
    My DSC light and Brake lite up yellow. I have been reading through some of remarks here, but Im confused Can this be fixed, and cost? Can I still drive my car short distance? Any help will help me. I live in Lake Worth FL, and having a hard time finding anyone who knows about BMW Z4. Do not want to go to Bramens BMW $$$$
    Your issue is more than likely that one of the four wheel speed sensors for the anti lock brakes has gone bad.

My Cars
    2012 BMW 5 Series
    It could be a lot of issue, but the most common problem is the ABS wheel speed sensor. You will need to read fault codes from the DSC module or you will be throwing parts at the car. Replacing the ABS sensor is very easy, this guide shows you how to do it yourself.

Also it shows you how to read the codes from the DSC module, which should be the first thing you do.

My Cars
    2006 BMW Z4
    Thank you for the respond. Hope I can find someone here that can fix for me.
    Last edited by yvonne12; 09-25-2018 at 12:01 PM.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 528E
    Google "BMW E46 Trifecta problem" you'll find a goldmine of diagnostics information out there for this problem.

Good luck !