Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY:Removing gas pedal

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY:Removing gas pedal

This is a small part of the removing your carpet DIY that I will soon be posting. However I have had some questions about this so I am posting it.

Remove the e-clip from the pin at the top of the gas pedal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    Slide the pedal towards the center of the car and off the pin at the top.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    Pull the pedal towards the back of the car and look at the clip at the bottom.
    My other picture turned out fuzzy so take my word for it that the clip is in the upright position. You want to push this clip down towards the floor.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Please ignore the dirt. I am working on the car and the dirt will go next.

You can now pull up on the gas pedal as you rock it from side to side to release it.
    Here is it removed:

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here is the metal part of the car it attaches to.
    Sorry I was in a hurry and didn't clean up the dirt first.

My Cars
    Jetta
    To remove the carpet you will still need to remove the gas pedal stop. Please mark it before removing so you can replace it at the same height. Otherwise you may need to have someone inspect the position of the throttle body butterfly as you press the pedal down and adjust this stop to ensure that you achieve WOT at the lowest position.

My Cars
    BMW 318IS, VW Beetle, MGB Tourer

gas pedal

I read somewhere that once you removed it you should replace it due to security reasons, since the plastic thingies that locks the pedal to the floor gets damaged, any thoughts on that, did it survive the removal?

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by parolof
    I read somewhere that once you removed it you should replace it due to security reasons, since the plastic thingies that locks the pedal to the floor gets damaged, any thoughts on that, did it survive the removal?
    I have done this more than once and have not noticed any problems. If you are careful it will be fine. In fact it was rather difficult to remove this time...just be careful and work it out. Then inspect it. If you damaged it then replace it.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    Remove the e-clip from the pin at the top of the gas pedal.
    Do you access this e-clip via the backside of the gas pedal? What did you use to pull it out? (screw driver, needle nose pliers....). GREAT & TIMELY POST!!
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    Jetta
    I think I was able to pry it off with a small screw driver but needle nose pliars would work too.

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    I think I was able to pry it off with a small screw driver but needle nose pliars would work too.
    Thanks so much for the quick reply!!
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    98 318ti (RIP), 97 m3, 99 528i
    this was a life saver tonight when installing my new pedal covers.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Glad to hear it.

My Cars
    2000 528i
    I still dont get how to get to the e clip. Can explain further?

My Cars
    Jetta
    It is on the pin on the backside of the pedal at the top. You can get it out with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Just pull on the back of it to get it to pop off the pin.

My Cars
    325i Convertible
    Just removed and re-installed my accelerator pedal, 1994 model. Doesn't have the clip, but lug from the side of the connecting bar. Pulling the pedal forward lines the lug up with a gap on the fitting at the top of the pedal. However, once removing from the floor, the plastic clips are now useless and it doesn't hold in too tight, so will have to replace.

My description wasn't the best, so will take pictures when replacing with new pedal to hopefully explain better.

If anyone has any idea how the remove the kick down switch located behind the pedal, would appreciate any tips. Need to remove the carpet and its currently holding me back.

My Cars
    1994 540i
    great tutorial... didnt read it in time, though.

Went a little overboard with the screwdriving...

Gonna cost $73.22 at the Steven's Creek BMW in San Jose, CA.... they told me it is special order and that I would have to come down.

I was like... I don't have a gas pedal, dude.

My Cars
    93' C38 S50, 00' GT28 A4
    You don't need to remove the gas pedal to install the aluminum pedals. Just a heads up
    93 E36 S50 c38 stg2
    00 B5 A4 GT2871r
    01 E46 325i - 343,782 (Stolen 3/2021) RIP
    2019 WRX

auto->manual conversion crew / bf.c motor swap crew

My Cars
    Jetta
    $73 is expensive.

My Cars
    '00 M5 '07 750i '87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by jbreiding View Post
    this was a life saver tonight when installing my new pedal covers.
    X2!
    Yay for oldskool's two year old thread. Removed mine with out any issues.

My Cars
    97 328
    this is 2 years old.. dont bump

My Cars
    BMW E46
    OK, I HAVE A 528I AND THAT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE MY PEDAL , i KNOW OTHER OUTthere have tried to remove the pedel off there 528i. how the hell do you do it? please please please help, I have beeb playing with it for 2 hours now . it really is anoying me.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Maybe you can post a picture?

I have never seen a 528i pedal so I couldn't tell you off the top of my head...

My Cars
    325i
    cool. now i don't have to figure it out myself how to get it off :P
    will i be able to tilt the carpet to the middle though? i need to remove the factory speakerwires.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Factory speaker wires don't go under the carpet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast