Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY:Removing gas pedal

My Cars
    325i
    well, the hi-fi ones do.
    but what if i don't have the clip behind the pedal(atleast i cant see it)? should i just rock it off gently?

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by vull View Post
    well, the hi-fi ones do.
    but what if i don't have the clip behind the pedal(atleast i cant see it)? should i just rock it off gently?
    I don't know man. I have the HiFi HK system. My speaker wires do not go under the carpet. They go behind the dash.

You should have that clip back there holding it down. If you don't, it could be a problem as the pedal wouldn't seat properly. If you can "gently rock it off" then there is a problem or safety risk. Go ahead and give it a try. My guess is that it is fastened down for safety.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    325i
    lol, i got it off.. need a new one now
    i put it back together with a wire in case i don't get another car to fetch the new pedal..

i tried to feel some clips from under the carpet with my fingers, but didn't feel anything... then i rocked the pedal off accidentally :P
    the pic shows how to remove a pedal..

My Cars
    BMW 530i, Mitsubishi Eclipse
    Hi !
    I have a 530i E60 body, the gas pedal base just snapped off and is now dangling. I found that a small flexible plastic piece just snapps onto the base and the pedal. Is it common for it to snap like this? Where can I get a replacement? Is there a better alternative to this flimsy piece of plastic? I called a parts store and they said I had to purchase the whole brake assembly.

My Cars
    '00 M5 '07 750i '87 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherk View Post
    Where can I get a replacement? Is there a better alternative to this flimsy piece of plastic? I called a parts store and they said I had to purchase the whole brake assembly.
    You should be able to get just the brake pedal for not much money. Look it up on realoem.com and/or call someplace like Tischer BMW, RMEuropean or you local BMW dealership.
    Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

My Cars
    328i
    Big Thanks to Old Skool for this thread. It came in useful today when I was putting the sound insulation in my e36 328i. The carpet has been up & back down, which would have been much harder to do without this information. Thanks

My Cars
    BMW 330XI
    thanks

My Cars
    '00 Ducati 750SS
    Anyone have knowledge of a full carpet removal DIY thread? I'm about to pull mine this Saturday.

Also interested in installing some dynamat while it's out to sound deaden the car a bit. Anyone have any experience with this?
    On the search for M3, '00 Duc SS, '69 P-car

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by m3roman View Post
    Anyone have knowledge of a full carpet removal DIY thread? I'm about to pull mine this Saturday.

Also interested in installing some dynamat while it's out to sound deaden the car a bit. Anyone have any experience with this?
    I didn't make a DIY for this, but I did it several times.

Installing Dynamat is straight forward. Just follow their directions.

As for removing the carpet, you need to take out everything that contacts the carpet. This means the seat belt bars, the seats, the center console, the rear seat bench, the rear side panels (in a coupe), the kick strips along the doors, the lower dash panels and footwell panels in the front, the lower dash panel that houses the OBC. Once you get all this removed, taking the carpet out is fairly easy. The only remaining issue is that the carpet goes under the heater core. You can either slit the carpet on one side and try to work it out from under there to get it all in tact, or just cut it on both sides (high enough to be inside the lower dash trim) and leave that small piece under the heater core.

I have DIY for almost all of those panels you need to remove. Just take your time and be methodical about it. It's easy to rush and break something. If it doesn't come out easily, there is probably a fastener you forgot to remove.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    '00 Ducati 750SS
    Thanks Old Skool - you are the man with the DIYs. I'm going to try to snap some photos today along the way to maybe augment your DIY here or start a new one.

Printing this out as I write this so I don't run in to trouble with the gas pedal.

My Cars
    '00 Ducati 750SS
    Not sure if this will ever be helpful to anyone, but I started this project myself on Saturday. My observations for the newbie attempting a carpet removal would be this;

1 - As Old Skool suggests, go slow and take your time.
    2 - There is an order to this that makes sense. I would go seats first, then work your way from the back (seat belt bars) to the front tackling the side rails, center console, speaker panels, dash lowers, etc along the way.
    3 - Mark everything or tape screws to the panels so that you remember where they go.
    4 - Two things in this process are not nearly as easy as they sound.

First is the gas pedal removal. Mine is still stuck on and although I followed Old Skool's instructions to the tee, the clip which attaches it to the floor is still 'stuck'. I opted to cut the carpet around the pedal so that I could get a better look at it. Because I still needed to drive the car before putting the new carpet in, I've opted to fully remove the petal later.

Second is the 'sliding' of carpet from beneath the heater core. As for taking it out, it did not matter much but I've left some carpet in there just in case. There are some brackets, etc that need to be disconnected in order to get the "new" carpet under there. I'm going to do that once I've got everything sorted.

The last thing I'll say is that anytime you go through this much work, it's a great idea to take care of the little things that make sense while the car is this stripped. I plan on dynamatting the car to quiet the interior down a bit and possibly running some speaker wires. Another good project is to make sure all wires are properly zip tied off and out of the way.

On to the pics. Hope these are helpful for someone down the line.

Intuitive for most, but you need to remove the caps and take the seat bolts out first. Seat bolts are 17mm. Once removed, good idea to spray with WD40.

Driver's side seat removed. Be careful once it's unbolted not to rip the heated seat wires. You can see the crater just before the clutch petal which is why I'm doing this in the first place.

Closer view

After the seats, remove the seat belt bars. It's a star bit (not sure what size) and the backside is simply an L that slips into the sheet metal under the rear seat.

Both seats, side trim, center console and glove box removed.

You can see here I started to cut around the gas petal. Below, you can see the tab that Old Skool identifies. I really had to push this hard to the floor, ultimately using a flat head screw driver to push it.

Carpet removed.

Temporarily driveable as a wanna be clubsport. Just in time for the 7" of snow we got last night.

This is the nice, steam cleaned, untorn piece that will go in soon.

Hope to have more next week. Thank goodness for keroseane heaters!

My Cars
    have a couple
    good thread

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

Z3 Gas Pedal Replaced!

Kudos to "Old Skool"

Thanks for the pictures and help!

My Cars
    '01 E46 330Ci Cabriolet
    Thanks guys.. Great thread!

But how to you deal with the carpet around the air ducts and the wires beside the left air duct?
    And what about the iron poles that goes up to the dashboard?

Im kind a stock here.. /:

My Cars
    2002 525i Touring
    Did you ever post that carpet removal/ reinstallation? I am to the gas pedal and two bolts that connect the dash rebar to the floor... I am trying to learn as much as possible to keep from breaking something avoidable.

It looks like I will be able to pull the carpet out from under the heater core with out cutting. What are the chances?

Have a 98' 328i vert by the way

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    If the carpet has never been removed before you'll have to cut it to get it out from under the heater core. Its very possible to cut it so it never shows once it all goes back in. Ive done it twice.. Just look at the dash/console trim and see where to make your cuts so that trim hides them. If you remove the heater core assembly first you don't have to cut it.

My Cars
    1992 735i
    Whats the name of the lil plastic thingies mines broke and
    I dont get full gas pedal pressure

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Thanks old skool. Just want to share my 40 hours getting the accelerator pedal off. First, the most important thing is to identify whether your pedal has a c clip or not. I spent 38 hours in an awkward position trying to find the c clip in a blind. Fortunately or unfortunately I learned that my (1999 E36 M3) does not have c clip. Hopefully these pics help. https://plus.google.com/photos/10197...PPP2ILG45jI-AE

My Cars
    e31 850 CSI
    excellent write up, saved me soem grey hairs..

My Cars
    e's
    I'm a bit late to the party but.....
    1. You can depress THE CLIP at the top of the pedal with bare hand. Just reach behind,feel for it (feels metallic, which it is), press it down and unhook the pedal.

2. Fold back the pedal to expose the area behind. ....picture 1

2. The carpet behind the pedal has two short parallel slits. This allows you to lift a small piece of the carpet off the floor pan and create an opening in the carpet into which you can push the locking tab relatively easily. I was able to push it down with my thumb. ......SEE pictures 3 and 4.
    Exercise care because the tab is a part of the pedal, don't twist or otherwise rip it off.

3. Wiggle the pedal to remove it, possibly with a little help from you friend the screwdriver. .....picture 5

4. Pedal removed with the lock tab intact ....picture 2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ScentOfGasoline; 06-13-2015 at 10:25 PM.

My Cars
    e23, e28, e36
    Thanks for the thread! Definitely going to try this out later!

My Cars
    1995 e36 325i sedan
    Good day Old Skool. I really hope you can help me. I am removing my carpet in a 1995 e36 325i and cant remove the c clip. How do you remove it?

My Cars
    1995 e36 325i sedan
    Good day Old Skool. I really hope you can help me. I am removing my carpet in a 1995 e36 325i and cant remove the c clip. How do you remove it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12