Thread: Need help deciding between StreetLine and Trackline suspensions

My Cars
    Split-up after "Door to Door" album was launched

Arrow Need help deciding between StreetLine and Trackline suspensions

First off, thanks for the responses to my question regarding coil-over kits a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, some of the guys here pointed me to <a href="http://www.tckline.com/OPC/susset.html#anchor4767324">TCKline</a> for some coil-over kits. And I'm caught deciding between <a href="http://www.tckline.com/OPC/KONI/SL.html">StreetLine</a> and <a href="http://www.tckline.com/OPC/KONI/TL.html">TrackLine</a> packages. So far, the only difference between the two are the springs (H&R O.E. Sport vs. H&R Sport).

Also they're offering $792 for StreetLine and $762 for TrackLine. Other places sell the track setup more than the street setup. What gives?

I track this car every now and then. Given the prices, which package would you go for? Is there really a big difference in ride comfort between the O.E. Sport vs. the Sport springs? My primary objectives are to lower the car, stiffen the suspension a bit, and replace the stock Boges.

Thanks for the help, guys! :
    BRACEYOURSELF
    It's gonna be a hell of a ride...

My Cars
    03 e46M3 Topaz/Black
    Both kits are exactly the same except for the springs which are really the same also. If you call TCKline, they will honor the lower price no matter which one you buy. I have confirmed this with TC Kline. The H&R OE Sport and Sport have identical rates except the Sports are slightly shorter which will translate to additional drop. The real decision between the two kits is how much drop do you want.

the sports will ride on the bump stops a lot around town - the OE sports will be more comfortable and handle better (outside of glass-smooth racetracks). but I guess they don't look as kewl
    hey lazybones: whatever you're asking, the answer is already in the archives.

My Cars
    How much of a drop can I expect from the O.E. Sports?
    BRACEYOURSELF

mine was about 0.25 to 0.5 inches

My Cars
    That's the max drop? Wha-ha?
    BRACEYOURSELF

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    I got .25" front and zero drop rear with the OE Sports ('97 M3/2). TCKR volunteered there was a price error on their web site. Gave me the lower price listed for the Trackline setup. Good folks. Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    I'd go with the Trackline setup if I did it over again. The OE Sports don't really drop it that much and the spring rates for both are the same.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

My Cars
    I see.

Both the TrackLine and the StreetLine can be adjusted to as high/higher than stock height, yes?

The TrackLine setup is beginning to sound a lot more appealing to me. :
    BRACEYOURSELF

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Neither are height adjustable. You get what you get. OE Sport will drop the car very little if at all. Sports will drop and inch or so. Many different reports as to exactly how much.

Jay

My Cars
    Originally posted by LUNI2NZ
    Neither are height adjustable. You get what you get. OE Sport will drop the car very little if at all. Sports will drop and inch or so. Many different reports as to exactly how much.

Jay
    Wait, isn't being adjustable what defines what a "coil-over kit?"

Refer to <a href="http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/H&R%20COILOVER%20INSTALL%202.0.pdf">this PDF file</a> I got from TedK of someone's installation on Bilstein coil-overs.

<a href="http://www.turnermotorsport.com/subcategory_detail_frame.asp?subcat_id=90">TMS</a> also states the kits are adjustable.
    BRACEYOURSELF

My Cars
    97 M3
    Originally posted by ¶Pho€nix

Wait, isn't being adjustable what defines what a "coil-over kit?"

Refer to <a href="http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/H&R%20COILOVER%20INSTALL%202.0.pdf">this PDF file</a> I got from TedK of someone's installation on Bilstein coil-overs.

<a href="http://www.turnermotorsport.com/subcategory_detail_frame.asp?subcat_id=90">TMS</a> also states the kits are adjustable.
    you are comparing springs to coilovers, h&r sports and oe sports are springs. the springs generally run <300 and a full coilover from H&R Is >1200 i believe.
    97 M3/2

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    Yeah, I think you're a bit confused. Neither the Streetline or Trackline kits are coilovers.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

My Cars
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I was mistaking one for the other.

What if I got Konis all-around and got GC's adjustable spring kit. Would that have the same adjustability as a coil-over kit?

Thanks, by the way, you guys. These answers have been a lot of help for me.
    Last edited by ¶Pho€nix; 06-12-2002 at 08:33 PM.
    BRACEYOURSELF

that would have more adjustability than the H&R coilovers (shocks plus height, and hundreds of spring rates to choose from), although maybe not the H&R's famously supple ride.

Sorry about the confusion I might have caused. I simply included that pdf link for installation instructions, not at all for product info. The basics for installation are similar, so I found them useful.

Fourfa is right on about GC spring options. You would really be able to get an appropriate rate for the drop that (I think) you are looking for. I think the H&R OE Sport springs are probably the correct length for the relatively light spring rate. I somehow suspect that the Sports are a little too soft for the drop, which is further evidenced by Fourfa's earlier comment about hitting bumpstops.

Just as hear-say, my neighbor insalled H&R Coilovers on his '95 and he wasn't sure if he could stand the ride and is considering removing them. He's no senior either, looks in his early twenties at most. His car still looks pretty lowered, so maybe he kept them, I dunno. Just be careful about what folks define as 'comfy', it's like judging matresses.
    TedK
    98 M3/4