Thread: M3 Suspension in 328is

My Cars
    FFR 67 Cobra S/C, 2008 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L

M3 Suspension in 328is

I have a non-sport package 328is and I know someone who will sell me M3 springs, struts, and shocks for a good price. What kind of difference in ride height/ride quality/handling improvement can I expect with this package? Thanks for your input.

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    One thing, though, is that the front swaybars on the M3 connect directly to the front struts, which I believe is different than in the regular E36's. Bimmer95 and Oxcart have experience in switching over the suspension parts so they can give you some advice on the how-to.

The M3 suspension is great, and offers a good balance between ride comfort and handling. I think you'll probably drop about an inch to an inch and a half.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

My Cars
    Thanks, I have a deal pending for $300 for the springs,shocks,struts does that sound right? And someone is selling sways in the Buyselltrade forum for another $100.. Are the sways front and rear thicker than stock? Thanks.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    Just keep in mind that the stock suspension (shocks) are only lasting 40k to 60k miles for most of the performance oriented guys around here. You may be better off buying aftermarket shocks, and if you want to go M3, you can. See this post for more info.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...&threadid=3476

I promise I will get the pictures rehosted somewhere soon...

Good luck!
    Bernman

My Cars
    Originally posted by CJarrett
    Thanks, I have a deal pending for $300 for the springs,shocks,struts does that sound right? And someone is selling sways in the Buyselltrade forum for another $100.. Are the sways front and rear thicker than stock? Thanks.
    $300 is pretty good. You need to find out how many miles were on the shocks, though, because as Bernman stated, the Boge shocks aren't much good past 40k miles. Yes, I believe the sways are thicker than your stock ones, but what's more important is the swaybar geometry in the front, i.e., connecting to the strut housing.
    Rel
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

My Cars
    They have 6000 miles on all the parts. So $400 for sways, springs, shocks, struts is good? Or would I be better off getting a set of H&R springs for my 328is with some Koni's or something?

My Cars
    Hard to say since I haven't ridden in a non-M3 E36 with aftermarket shocks/springs. I believe the aftermarket solutions may actually get you better handling-wise, but will probably stiffen the ride up compared to the stock M3 suspension. Plus again you wouldn't get the improved swaybar geometry that comes with the M3 parts.
    Rel

My Cars
    NYC Subway
    Here is my take on the whole M3 suspension to 3 series thing. I personally think that it would not be a good idea. Yes, the M3 is a great handling car, but why do people upgrade suspension on an M3? For that matter, the 328 is also a great handling car. It's all relative. You're not going to feel the difference as you would if you buy an aftermarket component. As far as the shocks and struts go, I'd never buy used stock BMW Boge shocks and struts. It's not if, but when they will start to deteriorate. So, then, you'll probably end up upgrading them later on.

But wait, when you do look into upgrading them, another problem arises. You now have to buy more expensive M3 stock or aftermarket shocks. Hell, you see that each and every part of your suspension which you might want to change costs more than non-M3 E36 parts.

The next question comes in regards of what you are looking for. Are you looking for a stock and supple ride with a slightly more aggressive stance? Instead of spending all that money, on a full, but still stock suspension, spend about $200 or so on some H&R OE Sport springs and run them on your stock shocks.

Do you do your own suspension work? If so, just get some Koni shocks later on and throw them in. For sways, I think that someone is doing a group buy or something on Eibach Sways for uder $300. I'm throwing out all these parts and prices at you and if you're thinking that you really don't want to spend all that money right now, remember that the M3 upgrades are a lot more.

I've upgraded to H&R Sports, Bilstien Sports, Eibach Sways, AA rear strut brace and K-mac Camber plates. I love my setup, but it is a little rough over pavement. If you tell me what kind of setup you are looking for and what you're using your car primarily for, I'll tell you the right way to go, and possibly have the cheapest places to find them too.

My Cars
    I really don't want to spend much right now, thats why it seems like a good deal for barely used shocks and springs for the price of brand new springs for my car.

I plan on doing my own installs. And I am looking for a very sport ride, and something my girlfriend won't mind 'too much'. I can deal with a rough ride, I used to have a Mr2 turbo, 93 with the lower suspension.

I don't want to spend too much, saving for a house, but I want to lower my car 'looks like a 4x4 right now'... thanks for all your advice fellas.

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    SJTrance brings up a bunch of excellent points. There is only one reason that I can see for going to M3 components for your suspension. The sway bars are more agressive. To get the same level of sway bar on the front using the regular E36 attachment points, you would need a bar that might push the limits of the sway bar mounting points. Since the front sway bar is effectively smaller, then the rear bar needs to be as well. This is all from an aftermarket perspective.

There also may be differences in the agressiveness of the shock valving between the M3 aftermarket and the E36 aftermarket. This I really don't know. They *should* be the same, but I have not read of anyone doing a comparison test (shock dyno).

A take-off M3 suspension with 6k miles would be pretty nice as an upgrade to your regular E36. You might want to try for a better price than $400 though.

I am happy with the H&R Cup Kit that I have installed right now. This setup is slightly more agressive than a stock M3 in height, and in ride, but is friendlier as a daily driver than an M3 Bilstein/H&R Sport Spring combination. That said, I liked the control that I got with the Bilstein/H&R and am willing to put up with the extra firmness, and so am planning on putting the Bilsteins back on this summer.

Lots of decisions to make when planning your suspension options

Good luck!
    Bernman

Just to clear up one thing - I believe that the front sway bars on the 328 are actually thicker than the front M3 sway bars. If I remember correctly, the 328 bars are 24mm, while the 96+ M3 bars are 23mm and the 95 M3 bars are 22.5mm. The big difference is the location of the attachment point for the endlink to the chassis of the car. The M3 is attached to the strut, while the 328 has the endlink attached to the control arm. So, even though the M3 bar is thinner, it adds more roll stiffness because of the leverage of the control arm.

Now, if you were really tricky, you might try installing the M3 struts and endlinks, and using the 328 bar...

Jim

My Cars
    Bernmobile
    Yes, this is what I was saying, I just wasn't very clear

To get a sway bar that is effectively the same as an aftermarket M3 bar (26mm for Eibach?) you would need one that would push the limit of the standard sway bar mounting points (where the rubber bushing is). This is probably why Eibach E36 bars are 28mm front, and 21mm rear. If you put a 24mm M3 Eibach bar on the rear with your 28mm E36 bar, the front to rear balance would probably be too much rear. (there's a lot of "probably" in there).

If it is performance that you are after, the aftermarket M3 stuff is probably (there I go again) your best bet.

My Cars
    That's what I was referring to, also. Didn't realize the 328's front swaybar was a bit thicker though.
    Rel