Thread: Is it possible to lighten the clutch pressure in '96?

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    I drove my friends '98 M3 and noticed the clutch was considerably lighter than my '96. Is there any easy way to lighten the clutch on my car? This driving in LA traffic is killing the left leg. Thanks.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT

I feel your pain, my brother. Literally. I had the pleasure of driving my '97 M3/4 manual in heavy traffic on Saturday for a couple hours (a friend and I were taking my '98 Civic EX to its originating Chicago Honda dealer for lease return and EVERYONE was out on the roads).

Talk about a fish out of water! My left leg felt like it was gonna fall off! The car wasn't too crazy about the rough streets in some places on the Northwest side of the city either. Though very solid, the ride becomes annoying after a while, and of course I was trying to avoid every major bump. Thank the lord I don't do that regularly.

My car only has 23,500 miles on it so I know it isn't faulty. Did they lighten the clutch for '98? I've heard this rumor before; that the '95-97s have heavier clutch effort than the '98-99. Does anyone know if this is so for sure?

another solution - lift weights.

Smile

Hey Guys,
    I LIKE a heavy clutch. I think that it gives me more response, and under aggressive driving, the clutch pedal isn't being slammed into the firewall as hard. Just my opinion.

My Cars
    E92 M3,335i, Odyssey
    I'd agree with you about the heavy clutch, but this is also my daily driver and I drive in LA... during rush hour. Ask brouhaha what your left leg feels like after driving in traffic for more than 1 hr. Then try it everyday!!! I wouldn't even ask except my friend's '98 M3's clutch was noticeably lighter.
    SOLD: '96 Artic Silver M3/2 Lux Click here for pic's. 2003 X5 4.6is: Nav, loading floor, comfort seats
    2007 E90 335i: Titanium Silver/Black/Aluminum trim, Sport, Premium, Heated seats (for the wife), iPOD, MORR VS7
    2011 E92 M3: Space Grey/Black/Blue aluminum trim, Premium, iDrive, DCT