Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY:Removing the headliner

My Cars
    Jetta
    To remove the sunvisor, simply remove the two screws at the pivot post and pull it down and disconnect the wiring harness.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    The center maplight assembly is removed by inserting a screw driver into each side where there is a small recess cut into the side of the maplight. Push the entire assembly towards the rear of the car and pull down. here you can see the metal spring clips on the rear side that you are compressing by doing this.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    Remove the sunroof switch/motor panel by pushing it towards the rear of the car and pulling each side down. The clips at the rear of the car hold it up, so just slide the whole thing forward and it drops out.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Pull off the rubber/felt gasket seal for the sunroof. It is easier to do this if the sunroof is slid open.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Peel back the door and window seals that help hold the headliner in place. Here you can see how the seal fits into place with each of the panels.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here you can see the door seals are captured by the kick rails. The kick rails are difficult to remove and usually ends up with broken clips and that can be a mess if you aren't careful. The rails themselves can also break and aren't cheap. Don't remove them unless you go to a black headliner. If you go to a black headliner you have to change these out to black felt seals. I will be doing this again, but I haven't yet so I don't have the steps detailed here now.

My Cars
    Jetta
    At the rear of the car along to top of the rear window, there is a metal rail that holds a bent lip of the headliner. You will need to release this to take the headliner out.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The headliner might be slightly glued to the roof of the car at the top of the windshield. Very carefully pull this loose. The headliner is very fragile and can be damaged easily. After this the headliner should basically just fall down.

My Cars
    Jetta
    This is very difficult to remove from the car. You need to recline the seats back all the way and open the door all the way. Then you have to rotate it carefully and gently guide it out of the car.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Headliner out of the car:

My Cars
    Jetta
    Talk about a ghetto lean. These seats recline pretty far.

My Cars
    Jetta
    This might be a good time to remove that rear deck if it is faded and spray it dark black again. I have one that I already did this to so I will swap it in. This part is a HUGE pain in the arse. There is a plastic panel that covers the front face of the top of the opening to the trunk behind the rear seats. It holds the front edge of the rear deck down and there are four fasteners that do this.
    These are not fun at all. They are flimsy and really don't want to come out of the car. After some trial and error, I found the best way is to work them up enough to get set of good pliers under the head and grip the post. Then as you pull up, twist it CW or CCW while holding your hand parallel to the ground. Often the head will pop off and make a mess. Don't let these fall down into the hole because you won't be able to get them out.

My Cars
    Jetta
    This panel is clipped on to the top of the opening on the metal. It is a very tight fit so be careful working it loose because you can easily bend back your fingernails. Here it is removed along with the rear deck cover. The rear deck cover just lifts up and slides towards the front of the car. At the rear most edge where it meets the windshield it has tabs that slide down into holes.

My Cars
    Jetta
    If you like these DIY articles and you want to see more, show your support by donating via paypal.
    But seriously my pliers slipped on one of those damn plastic clips on the rear deck lid and I did this to my brand new tint.
    If you do want to donate the address is eurosource@gmail.com
    Oh and the headliner and all parts are for sale.

My Cars
    1992 325i - 5 Speed Swap
    Thank you for the great DIY writeup! I'm going to be replacing my sunroof assembly in the next few weeks so this will be very helpful!

My Cars
    Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Floyd
    Thank you for the great DIY writeup! I'm going to be replacing my sunroof assembly in the next few weeks so this will be very helpful!
    Also check out my sunroof cassette removal DIY including the how to for removing the fabric shuttle.

My Cars
    2011 335xi
    You kick ass man. This is a project I'm going to tackle here in the coming weeks.

My Cars
    E36 M3/4/5, F30 328i
    What adhesive would you use when recovering a head liner? The supposibly super hold 3m spray at home depot didn't cut it.

LA chapter BMW CCA autocross CDI
    www.bmwclubla.org

My Cars
    Jetta
    You know I am not sure on the glue used to recover the headliner...however I have seen a number of threads about this...those people might have a better idea.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Bump for Monday

My Cars
    E60 530xi - E53 4.4
    I just recovered my a pillers.c pillars and entire head liner this weekend
    I used 3m contact cement. key is to let iot dry then attach it .mins in black looks so kick ass pix to come

My Cars
    93 325is
    he's right you have to let the glue dry for at least 20-30 seconds first, to allow it to become more tacky. then apply the material to the headliner or pillars.

great write-up once again old skool
    UUC|AC Schnitzer|AA|Ecis|Ground Control|Koni|H&R|Rieger|BMW Motorsport|Hamann|Pirelli

My Cars
    s52 e30, e36Ms, e46M
    did yall just cover over the factory fabric or remove it? i will be recovering my headliner with suede here very soon, have it at home jst not time to recover

My Cars
    TSX
    ol skool is a DIY champion.

My Cars
    93 325is
    remove old fabric and wipe away old foam with a rag. the old foam wipes away easily with a rag. make sure you do it outside of the car. the stuff goes everywhere. have fun.

and make sure when u spray the adhesive that you let it dry for at least 30 seconds before you apply it. oh and spray both the clean headliner and the material itself. good luck
    UUC|AC Schnitzer|AA|Ecis|Ground Control|Koni|H&R|Rieger|BMW Motorsport|Hamann|Pirelli

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast