Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY:Removing the headliner

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY:Removing the headliner

This is not complicated, but it is an undertaking. It really isn't even all that hard or time consuming...it is just time spent cramped in the car.

Let's start with the c-pillars:
    Remove the rear lights by pulling them out enough to get some leverage to release the spring clips. As you start to work it loose you want to pull up towards the roof of the car because the bottom side has a plastic extension that the wiring harness connects to and can't be pulled straight out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here it is removed
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    Now in order to remove the c-pillar there are a number of ways to go about this. The easiest way is to open the vent window and peel back the rubber/felt seal. This helps hold the c-pillar in place. It is however, possible to remove it without removing this seal. Eventually you will need to pull the seal back anyway to release the headliner itself. In addition another problem is that the rear side panel helps hold the c-pillar down. Again it may be possible to remove it without releasing the side panel, however it is easier if you do remove it. You cannot however, remove the side door panel effectively without first removing the rear seat side bolster.

This side bolster is easy to remove in concept but requires a good deal of force to release. Start by pulling it out at the top where it rests against the rear window deck panel. As you can see in this picture, there is a bent metal post on the car that is holding this side bolster in place.

My Cars
    Jetta
    That post fits into the back of the bolster with two metal bars that create the tension.

My Cars
    Jetta
    At the bottom of the bolster is a metal bracket. To release this you need to pull up on the bolster, sliding it out of the metal holder attached to the car.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The third point that holds the bolster in place is a plastic post at the bottom outside edge of the back seats. Pull the bolster off of this by moving towards the outside of the car. here is the hole in the bolster.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here is the post that fits into that hole.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here you can see all three mounting points on the car with the bolster removed.

My Cars
    Jetta
    As you can see here, the bottom of the c-pillar is captured under the rear side panel.

My Cars
    Jetta
    To remove the side panel just start from the top at the rear most edge and with one hand at the top and one at the bottom, try to put your pressure where the snaps are holding it in place. Pull firmly but gently towards the inside of the car and work your way towards the front of the car. There should be 3 snap fittings. At the front of the panel at the bottom it is held in place by the kick rail. This is directly down from the seat belt attached to the b-pillar. Simply pull up to release it and the panel will be free.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here are the three holes in the body for the snap fittings on the rear panel.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here is the top of the kick rail that the rear panel mounts to.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Now back to the c-pillar.
    Start to release it by getting something between it and the headliner at the top. Gently pull it out and try to exert all the pressure to the area where it is held in place. Pull firmly and carefully outward to release the plastic tabs from the metal spring clips.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Along the rear window line there are two plastic tabs that fit into metal spring clips. There is another at the top towards the front of the car. The last tab at the bottom just fits down into a hole near the rear vent window assembly. To remove the panel, first release the spring clips and then lift up towards the roof to release this last tab.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here you can see the three metal clips and the hole below the vent window bracket.
    Along the edge of the rear window you can see three metal tabs sticking out. These also capture 3 plastic hooks on the c-pillar. Be sure to clip those back in when replacing the c-pillar.
    Last edited by old skool; 04-23-2005 at 03:18 PM.

My Cars
    Jetta
    For the a-pillar, it is a similar process. It may help to peel back the door seal to remove this, however you do not necessarily have to do this.
    As before, start at the top and pull the pillar towards you.

My Cars
    Jetta
    There are two tabs that fit into metal clips top and middle to bottom. You can see them here.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Then the last at the very bottom has to be lifted up. It slides down into a slot in the dash.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The process for removing the b-pillar is detailed in my vent window removal DIY. These do have to be removed to get the headliner out. Well technically only one has to be removed the headliner can then be slid out past the other one. So it is up to you whether you remove one or both.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Now I remove the grab handles.
    To remove these, pull the handle down and you should see a plastic cover over the screw. This cover is fragile and can break easily if you are not careful removing it. The best way to remove it is to place one finger underneath in the small opening at the bottom. Lift very slightly. Then place another finger on the top at the back to support and steady it. Pull straight out with both fingers at the same time.
    The black rod sticking out is part of the spring mechanism. It should be flush to the side of the handle. Simply press it back into place.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here is the cover removed. The long skinny posts are the parts that can easily break.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here is the screw with the cover removed:

My Cars
    Jetta
    Once both screws are removed, carefully pull the handle down and out. Do not break the locating posts on the back side.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Now for the sunvisors. I removed the light by pulling it towards the back of the car and then down on the back side. This is where the spring clip is located. Disconnect the wiring harness and remove the light.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The newer cars have covers over the screws for the clip posts that hold the sunvisor in place. In order to slide these back pull out on the little recessed spot towards the center of the post. Remove both screws, pull down and remove the wiring harness.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast