Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DIY:Removing fabric shuttle from sunroof

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY:Removing fabric shuttle from sunroof

Well, since someone always asks why, the reason is that I need the black fabric shuttle to install into my current car so that I can complete the black headliner swap. However, people have had problems with these and have asked in the past about this so here goes:

If you want to lift open the sunroof itself, then I recommend tilting it and then removing the two T25 torx screws on either side at the front of the sunroof. These torx screws hold the front of the sunroof in place and the slotted arms they fit into allow you to adjust the sunroof to get it flat and with the proper seal.
    Here is a picture of where they are located: (the right is the front of the car and the left is the rear)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    Once these are removed you can lift the sunroof up and access items below. I would be careful and put a towel or other cushion around this so that you don't mess up your paint.

Although it might technically be possible to remove this shuttle without removing the sunroof cassette from the car, I wouldn't want the headache of trying...though I suppose if you removed the entire metal sunroof it would be easy to remove then.

If the power and cables are removed from the motor when you are doing this, you can manually operate the motor using an allen wrench.
    I believe it is clockwise to tilt and ccw to open.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    The sunroof mechanism looks like this with the motor removed.
    The gear on the motor turns and drives the screw mechanism to move the sunroof around.

My Cars
    Jetta
    This is what the bottom of the motor looks like:

My Cars
    Jetta
    In order to remove the shuttle you need to turn the motor in the direction of opening the sunroof (not tilt) and as soon as you barely do this, it will release the shuttle. The shuttle is held in by a plastic arm that is keyed into the moving mechanism to move in concert with the sunroof.
    Here is a picture of it.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Here is the funky catch it slides into so that you can't push it back in certain positions

My Cars
    Jetta
    The shuttle will drop down and look like this from the underside:

My Cars
    Jetta
    On the top side the shuttle will slide all the way to the back and you need to get it loose from the plastic arm guide. If you pull carefully on the shuttle you can slide it out of the catch and also push down on the plastic tab to release the double catch mechanism.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Now you have to remove the T20 torx screws

My Cars
    Jetta
    The shuttle will lift off the rails

My Cars
    93 325is
    not really when you start doing it, you'll see that it isn't that complicated. its just getting to those two torque screws in the first picture when the sunroof is tilted up thats a little difficult. but after that, the rest is cake
    Last edited by shogun; 12-24-2015 at 06:53 AM. Reason: cleaned up
    UUC|AC Schnitzer|AA|Ecis|Ground Control|Koni|H&R|Rieger|BMW Motorsport|Hamann|Pirelli

My Cars
    93 318is, 77 Dodge b-200

so

Does it matter if the headliner is out or not?

Should I change the fabric shuttle before putting in new headliner?

or does it not matter......

thanks

My Cars
    2018 GMC 2500
    Thanks for the write up Old Skool. One quick question about removing the sunroof assembly. After removing the 4 drain lines and 14 or so screws holding up the sunroof pan, will the entire assembly just drop out of the car, or is it connected to the roof of the car around the cutout for the sunroof?

My Cars
    19 Cooper S
    Is the "shuttle" the part that covers the bottom of the sun roof when closed so it looks like the rest of the headliner? If so, mine is stuck in the back of the track. Would any of this DIY help in getting it out from there? I can just barely touch it back there. I've tried a few different gimmicks to get hold of it and pul it out, but it seems stuck. I've read elsewhere that about all you can is pull down the whole headliner.

My Cars
    97' M3
    After you remove the things you mentioned.

The cassette will be almost free.

There are two metal clips in the back that hook the cassette to the roof, support with one hand and undo with the other...2 people would be best

The front of the cassette has a protruded plastic piece that sits within the car's roof casing. You just need to back the cassette out.

Good Luck man,
    97 M3/4

My Cars
    97' M3
    in your case, yes.

Remove the headliner/cassette

then it will be much easier to tackle once it is out of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by dport135
    Is the "shuttle" the part that covers the bottom of the sun roof when closed so it looks like the rest of the headliner? If so, mine is stuck in the back of the track. Would any of this DIY help in getting it out from there? I can just barely touch it back there. I've tried a few different gimmicks to get hold of it and pul it out, but it seems stuck. I've read elsewhere that about all you can is pull down the whole headliner.
    97 M3/4

My Cars
    93 318is, 77 Dodge b-200
    thanks for the write ups. Great pics too. Only thing I did different was, I couldn't get my shuttle to go past the sunroof. I had to crank the roof all the way back and push the shuttle all the way to the front to show all the screws.

edit: well I think I just f-ed up this whole sunroof. One of the back corners where it tilts up at came off the little round pin and I cant get it back on.
    I've pulled and put engines in cars and I feel like jumping up and down on this GD sunroof
    good thing I have 2 sunroofs or I would be looking for a full headliner and doing some welding, which I just might before it's over.

edit #2 I got the one in that I thought I had fuged up. It sits 1/8th of an inch lower on the one side the pin popped off on. I might pull it off again before painting. It's in now though and working.

Thanks again for the diy write ups. The pics help soooo much.
    Last edited by hung low; 06-22-2005 at 10:52 AM.

My Cars
    325i
    anyway to fix or repair the broken tabs off of the interior posts? or would they need to be replaced?

My Cars
    Jetta
    I am not sure what you are refering to. If you could post pics I might be able to answer this better.

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    i'm not sure if it was answered but... i want to remove the bottom panel of the sunroof that looks just like the interior and also the thin trim that goes around it and also looks like the interior... i want to replace my beige ones with black... my question... do i need to remove the headliner to do this or no? also, this is what the DIY talks about correct ?
    -Ivan

My Cars
    Jetta
    Checkout my headliner and sunroof diy in my sig. It will explain it.
    Last edited by shogun; 12-24-2015 at 06:54 AM.

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    i will but what does this thread talk about then, if not the sunroof ?
    oh and do i have to remove the headliner in order to replace the sunroof cloth ?
    Last edited by shogun; 12-24-2015 at 06:55 AM.
    -Ivan

My Cars
    95 M3, nasa spec3 #77
    i had a lot of problems with this and broken pices, not good. it appears i have a diffrent sunroof than you do. after something like 2 hours i stoped and looked on the net i found a nouther website that was prety helpfull to me and thought i would shair it with you. i'll post it later

ps no offence to you old skool i love your diy's they have helped me more times than i can tell you about so thank you

here is the link i said i would give http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36sunroof
    Last edited by shogun; 12-24-2016 at 04:04 AM.

My Cars
    Jetta
    I actually just realized my shuttle is loose from the track. I am pissed because I really don't feel like disassembling it just to fix that. Oh well.

My Cars
    S54 and S62
    I'm a bit late but great DIY !

Would you happen to have a picture of how the rails of the shuttle fit into the tracks ?

My problem is that my shuttle panel has always been off the tracks (moving freely). When I was redoing my headliner I pulled it off to put new fabric on it but I found out the plastic rails were broken.

Now I just have to get a pair of new plastic rails and reinstall the shuttle. My problem is that I have no idea how to install those plastic rail properly so that the shuttle will move in concert with the sunroof :
    Current:
    Alpine White E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Titanium Silver E39 540i Touring M-Sport S62 6MT

Past:
    Alpine White E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
    Interlagos Blue E85 Z4 M Roadster 6MT
    Le Mans Blue E92 M3 6MT
    Japan Red E46 325i Touring S54 6MT
    Estoril Blue Individual E46 M3 Coupe 6MT
    Cosmos Black E36 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
    Alpine White E92 M3 6MT
    Alpine White E90 M3 6MT