Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: DIY:Removing fabric shuttle from sunroof

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    I'm having some difficulty sliding the shuttle towards the rear of the car. When I open the sunroof enough to expose one edge of the shuttle (so that I can push it back), the rear of the sunroof outer panel is lowered by like an inch. Tips? Thanks.

My Cars
    99 323is
    You probably went too far if it's an inch. It needs to move just barely a few mm in order to disengage the shuttle to be able to slide it back.

I actually need to slide mine back to adjust the sunroof panel. Maybe I'll try making a video?

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    sure that would be great!

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunzo View Post
    @mzmtg

That sticky plastic film was NOT easy to get off. I had to take a scraper to it with some windex. However I am curious, is it a good idea to leave the two trenches open without any cover? Does that run the risk of letting moisture in and down the line ruining your job?
    This is a good question!
    Has anyone installed the new headliner with this plastic film included?

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Anyone?? Regarding nylon film layer sandwiched between the foam backing and cassette surface, got to be a reason why BMW included.
    I'm trying to find same or similar material to include for replacement.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Just wanted to thank OP and mzmtg. Great writeup and super easy when knowing what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    Anyone?? Regarding nylon film layer sandwiched between the foam backing and cassette surface, got to be a reason why BMW included.
    I'm trying to find same or similar material to include for replacement.
    Honestly, I think it's just eye candy. Having just finished this job I couldn't see how it could possibly help anything. It's not sealed around the edges and certainly doesn't flow or drain water in any direction. The real seals are along the edge of the body where the sunroof itself meets. Should it get past that, there's the entire sunroof cassette (?) which directs water to the four drain tubes. Even the molding that goes around the edge of the headliner has some plain rubber along the top that helps to seal. The plastic leather looking piece? Doubt it does anything other than cover the metal sheet of the sunroof.

My Cars
    BMW M3
    LocDots, it appears you did this project, can you post few pictures including sunroof area?

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    LocDots, it appears you did this project, can you post few pictures including sunroof area?
    I would if I took any, sorry. Or do you mean completed pictures?

My Cars
    BMW M3
    Yes please, completed as it is now. I think knowing the reason why the nylon layer was included from factory, it is not water or moisture protection related.

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Low quality pictures I just took on my phone.

I can try to get more tomorrow with daylight.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318ti
    Just did this and it wasn't too bad besides getting the pins and bolt holes aligned in the front. However, I am having problems getting the front of the sunroof flush with the roof and I can only get the fabric shuttle to pull out to about 1" to 2" from closed. Has anyone had this issue or know how to remedy it? I've looked for how to adjust the front of the sunroof and everyone says to keep the screws loose, push the sunroof up, and retighten them. I did that and while it helped, the sunroof still sits a few millimeters too low.

My Cars
    '96 Euro M3, '95 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by ains500 View Post
    Has anyone experienced their sunroof opening by itself? Usually while parked after driving and after having had the roof open.
    If you mean the inner roof panel (shuttle), yes, mine was doing that, it drove me mad for over a year. I thought somebody was trying to break into my car.

When I thought about it, I realised that when I closed it from the slid back position it was stopping just short of the part where a pin locks it. What I did was to advance it a bit more with the crank tool. You need to make sure the inner panel is where it should be when closed then keep checking it as you advance the motor by hand. You want to find the position where it has locked but not go far enough to start the tilting action. There is a bit of leeway with this. Once you have done that, take the motor off, set it to the park position with the switch, then reattach it. Your sunroof shuttle will now be in the correct park position with the shuttle locked in place.

I hope this helps.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 E36
    hi, do you have directions on how to get the shutter back on the sunroof track? I followed all your instructions and re-assembled the sunroof back, now the shade doesn't go back when i tilt the sunroof.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345