Thread: Please Help. How To Change Fog Light Bulbs.

My Cars
    e36

Please Help. How To Change Fog Light Bulbs.

I just receive my new Osram Silverstar H1 Bulbs and need to replace them ASAP since my passanger side bulb is burned. Please help me ASAP.
    Armenian Pride lll

My Cars
    '08 S2000, '90 Miata
    follow the first part of this diy

http://www.apexcone.com/JimPowellHom...gs/H7Fogs.html

then once you change the bulbs

reinstalling the bracket can be kinda tricky at first, especially if you broke the plastic brackets like i did, i thought i explained this to you in another thread?

well when you want to put the fog light back in, make sure the two pegs on the back outer side of each fog out as in away from the engine, make sure you put the two pegs in first and make sure they go into the two wave looking slots, they are curved like a wave, then you push the inner side in until you hear a click, hope this helps

15/115 STS 90' Miata
    15/115 AS 08' S2000 (Retired)

My Cars
    99 M3
    i believe this is coverd in the owners manual.

but anways, take a pencil or something, and if you're replacing your passenger side fog light, then look to the right of the foglight assembly, behind the bumper grill. there should be a little lever that ejects the foglight. push it, and the foglight will pop out.

then twist off the large connector and the foglight inside will be exposed. push in the metal clips with your fingers and the bulb will come out.
    helloladies

My Cars
    e36
    I tried and tried and tried and no luck. From underneath the car I was able to take the burned bulb ut but I dont risk puting new one in because you cant see anything underneath and I didnt want to scratch it or anything. ANyway I guess Ill let the body shop do it when they instal my ACS Bumper, antenna and the eyelids.
    Armenian Pride lll

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    What bumper do you have on your car the stock or the m3 one? I just changed mine out yesterday it took all of five minutes realitivly fast. I can take some pics and post em if it will help you out. I found the easiest way to do it was just pop the hood then look down on the appropriate side of the one you want to fix just push that little lever as described above and the assembly will then simply hinge out tward the lateral side of the car. and then it just slides out of its hinges and you unplug the wiring harness from the assembly then you can simply tiwst the big round thing off and pull the bulb out of the light assembly replace with your new one and reverse the procedure. Ill take some pics and show you exactly what you need to do though if youd like let me know.

My Cars
    e36
    I have a regular non m3 bumper . I would really appreciate it if you took some pics. id ont know it is very weird riding without fog lights. Well I dont want to rush you so just take pics whenever you can thanks a lot.
    Armenian Pride lll

My Cars
    '08 S2000, '90 Miata
    did you look at the link in my post at all?

15/115 STS 90' Miata
    15/115 AS 08' S2000 (Retired)

My Cars
    e36
    Yes, I did but I just cant see that thing that you push I tried it for 1 hour but no luck. I dont know why its like that
    Armenian Pride lll

My Cars
    03 Jeep, 05 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by ACS S3
    Yes, I did but I just cant see that thing that you push I tried it for 1 hour but no luck. I dont know why its like that
    Its there. You have to kind of go at an angle to get it. Look in there, you should see a little black piece and thats what you push with the screwdriver.

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    aiight im going ot go down right now and take some pics be right back

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Aiight guy I took three pics for you so you should totally know what your doing now Any way the first picture is a picture of the light mounted in its bracket outside of teh car so you can get a good idea of what your looking at. The lever that is circiled in red is the one we are all talking about. All you have to do is pull it back just a bit untill that little jaw unhooks and then the light will just hinge out away from the car. The second pictures ia picture of the engine compartment on teh right side of the car. I circuled the hole where you need to be lookin for the fog light its way down there. The third picture is a close up of the hole and you can atually see the lever down there just pull it the way the green arrow shows. The pictures of the engine compartment are oreinted with the front of the car at teh bottom and the rear of the car at the top of the picture just the way you will be standing over the car when youa re doing this. So just simply feel for the lever and pull it tward the back of the car and it will unsnap the light and then you just hinge the light out away from the bumper. Hope this helps.
    PIC1
    PIC2
    PIC3

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    One thing I did forget to mention was it might make it easier to get to the drivers side fog light if you remove the air cleaner box. Totally forgot about it seeing as I have a cold air intake there inot as much space is being occupied. ITs pretty easy to take the air box out should only take you a few minutes. Any way good luck

My Cars
    Jesus Built my M3 (TYJ)
    Try not to touch the glass part with your hands.

Oil deposits from your hands can create hot-spots on the bulb and cause premature burnout.

If you've touched the glass, use some rubbing alcohal to clean them.

I always handle high-output bulbs with needle-nose pliers if possible.
    1995 M3/2/5 : non-lux alpine white III on black
    2013 GX460 4x4 : knights pearl on black
    1997 Ram 3/4T 12v cummins turbo diesel : titanium silver on gray

My Cars
    '99 E46
    I would never think of replacing the fog light bulbs from above. Seems like WAY too much hassle.

Seriously, it takes about 3 minutes to do it from the bottom/front.

You press a screwdriver in the little hole until the bracket pops out. You twist off the harness/seal. You pull off the grounding wire and remove/replace the bulb, being somewhat careful not to touch the glass. Then, you reverse these steps to reinstall.

DO NOT let a dealer do this. He will probably charge you $40 for it. Seriously, it takes 3 minutes.

Carter
    KOTTER

My Cars
    e36
    Alright guys Im headling home to give ti a shot.
    Armenian Pride lll

My Cars
    Jetta
    It is in your user manual...all lightbulb DIYs are in the user manual...
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    e30, X3, Z3... K1100rs
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHAB323IS
    follow the first part of this diy

http://www.apexcone.com/JimPowellHom...gs/H7Fogs.html

then once you change the bulbs

reinstalling the bracket can be kinda tricky at first, especially if you broke the plastic brackets like i did, i thought i explained this to you in another thread?

well when you want to put the fog light back in, make sure the two pegs on the back outer side of each fog out as in away from the engine, make sure you put the two pegs in first and make sure they go into the two wave looking slots, they are curved like a wave, then you push the inner side in until you hear a click, hope this helps
    Boy, you learn quick!! Ha!

My Cars
    e36
    Thanks a lot guys intalled it yesterday will post pics soon.
    Armenian Pride lll

My Cars
    '03 540i
    Hey Leedawg- Your directions were perfect and the pictures helped tremendously. It turned a hungover Saturday into a 5 minute job. Thanks.

My Cars
    e46 m3
    haha uh gonna hijack this thread =p

so im drivin on the 5 and its hella foggy so i had my fogs on, then suddenly they just go out, no more green light on the dashboard... so does that mean both my fogs blew out?

328i RIP 4/23/2009

My Cars
    BMW E36
    When i had my fog light bulbs replaced, the mechanic did it by screwing off the mud protector behind the fog lights and changing the bulbs from there. The process only took 5 minutes.

My Cars
    e46 m3
    i just popped them out really easy

but none of my fog light bulbs were blown, u think a fuse blew?

328i RIP 4/23/2009

My Cars
    01 540i/6,02M5,99M3,72E3
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooner Man
    Hey Leedawg- Your directions were perfect and the pictures helped tremendously. It turned a hungover Saturday into a 5 minute job. Thanks.
    Glad I could help, and thanks for the feedback nice to know that effort is appreciated every now and then. Yeah this is a very simple job and ppl make it out to be much harder than it has to. Any way thanks again. And your welcome.