Thread: Lighting problem - Interior and drivers side parking lights

My Cars
    M Roadster

Lighting problem - Interior and drivers side parking lights

Ok Guru's - (or someone with a wiring diagram)

I have an odd problem with my 98 M Roadster. My interior light(s?) as well as my drivers side parking and tail lights all stopped working at the same time.

Anyone have an idea if these three items are on a common wiring circuit?

I am due some good karma today, as I just met a fellow to use my SRS tool to pull his airbag code and reset his SRS light.

Tal

My Cars
    Many
    go through and check every one of your fuses

My Cars
    F10 535, E38, Z3
    same thing happened to me...it was the fuse

My Cars
    '00 BMW MCoupe, '06 Mazda3 sT HB
    Quote Originally Posted by talisbell
    Ok Guru's - (or someone with a wiring diagram)

I have an odd problem with my 98 M Roadster. My interior light(s?) as well as my drivers side parking and tail lights all stopped working at the same time.

Anyone have an idea if these three items are on a common wiring circuit?

I am due some good karma today, as I just met a fellow to use my SRS tool to pull his airbag code and reset his SRS light.

Tal
    Could be this?
    '00S52 RETIRED

'07 Silver Gray E86 MCoupe

My Cars
    2002 M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleM
    No, when the rheostat fries, you only lose instrument and center console lighting (everything dimmable).

Check fuse 33. As to why it tripped, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say water in the taillight?

My Cars
    M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by dwm
    No, when the rheostat fries, you only lose instrument and center console lighting (everything dimmable).

Check fuse 33. As to why it tripped, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say water in the taillight?
    I don't know about the original complaint, but the linked problem is true. When I purchased my car the first night I had it I realized I had no illumination on my instrument cluster. The shop replaced the headlight switch. Super! For a short time. It shorted and died again. Turns out it was the wiring for the shifter, it isn't stock and the wiring for the illuminated knob was shorting out.

98 ///M Roadster - Sharked, FDK, twin Magnaflows, UUC Stage II Flywheel, OEM M5 Clutch, UUC TME Red & Enforcers, Zimmerman rotors, Cosmos CAI, ProjectorZs w DDE, 6K HIDs, fatter rubber on the corners, UUC Underdrive Pulleys, and Stewart High Performance water pump

My Cars
    M Roadster
    Thanks for the leads. I will check the fuses this evening.

The odd combination of inoperable lights led me, apparently erroneously, to think that the problem was downstream of the fuse box. I would have expected all tail and parking lights to be on the same circuit.

It appears that the only lights I have currently lost are: Interior light, driver’s tail and parking light, under hood and in trunk illumination. The dash, shift knob and switch lights are all illuminated.

Tal

My Cars
    M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by dwm
    We have a winner. Seriously, thanks for pointing me in that direction. I would have probably eventually figured it out, but the odd combination of outages did not lead my mind towards the simple solution - the fuse box.

There was a little bit of gunk and moisture on the tail light bulb housing when I removed it but not an extraordinary amount. I am hopeful that is the extent of my problems.

Again, thanks.

Tal