Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Camber Plates for Street/Track setup?

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3

Best Camber Plates for Street/Track setup?

Hey guys. I wanted to hear your expert opinions on camber plates. I am looking for something adjustable that I can adjust for track and or autox days since the car isn't a dedicated track car, I can't be running -2.5 degrees camber up front all day long (or whatever it should be set at).

I have heard that GC makes some nice ones, but that they can be pretty noisey. I have heard conflicting arguments on the Turner ones and haven't heard anything bad about the TcKline ones (just that they are $250 more than the others).

Also, right now I do not have coilovers and possibly one day I will get some. I'd like to keep my options open so I don't have to swap everything and end up wasting a lot of money.

So basically I want some camber plates that can be used for street/track setup, that will work with non-coilover setups as well as with coilovers, and that possibly won't be undriveable for street use (ie. noise). Also, I have a motorsport strut bar that will be used, and as far as I know most applications will work with that bar. Thanks for the help guys, any info is appreciated.

-Kim
    '94 325is #94 IP/GTS3 Mauritius Blue Metallic
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Do a search - lots of info/opinions on this. Been beaten to death and then to a pulp and then into the ground. Plus there is a lot of animosity and/or flame activity regarding whether one company "copied" another's design. I think you already got a taste of that in the M3 forum, no?

You know what I think.

Good luck.
    Garrett

My Cars
    1995 Red M3, 84 Volvo V-8 conversion
    Had the GC's made all kinds of noise, hated them.... Picked up a set of MOTORFORCE plates and love em! no noise, lots of camber and caster. Can't beat em!
    --03 MCS TTC
    --84 Grey Volvo (V-8 conversion 93 cobra stroked 347ci)

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i, 1996
    most of the plates are equivalent functionally. the motorforce ones were quieter for me than the GC plates. The GC plates currently have a slightly lower stack height.

they both worked great though.
    http://www.framesdirect.com/sunglasses/ - Sunglasses!
    1994 BMW 325i - GUTTED,
    AD shocks, eibach race springs, motorforce camberplates, stud conversion, and RTAB limiters, tunnel exauhst, CAI/chip, underdrive pullies, fan delete, AC delete, sparco race seats, 18x9 Superlegerras, GC swaybar, 2.8L engine with M50 intake manifold
    AND
    1996 BMW 328 - daily driver

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    I recently installed the motorforce camber plates and they are dead silent and installed very easily.

They have an upper spring perch to use with an OEM suspension so you should be set.

I was going to get the GC plates but I heard they have some issues with the spherical bearing failing and causing a lot of noise. The motorforce ones are also cheaper.

My Cars
    1991 M5
    i wouldnt say copied, more like improved on the current design. whatever, sealed thrust bearing and bilstein specific apps, i'm in.

My Cars
    Black 1996 328is
    Who sells the Motorforce camber plates? I was on the track this weekend and they could have helped.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT

My Cars
    Black 1996 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20
    Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    Ground Control should be coming out with their "hybrid" street camber plates very soon. THey are on the website, but they really don't have them done yet. I've been told it will be in the next month or two.
    97 Estoril/Black M3/4/5

"Although we've experienced an M3 sedan with an automatic, our test car came fitted as God intended, with a 5-speed manual ..."
    Road & Track May 1997, testing the M3 Sedan

My Cars
    2011 1M
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Pete
    Ground Control should be coming out with their "hybrid" street camber plates very soon. THey are on the website, but they really don't have them done yet. I've been told it will be in the next month or two.
    Hmmmh... I've had the GC hybrid plates for about a year now. So long as the roller bearing is kept greased, they are silent.

Neil
    MDORPHN - 2011 Alpine White 1 Series M Coupe w/stuff

My Cars
    07 yeller Cayman S, 05 Nissan Titan
    Having installed and worked with all three brands, I still think the GC's are the best.

The TC Kline does not have a lower bearing and all the weight goes on the top single monoball.

I don't want to comment on the motorforce plates as it is a sensitive topic here and Brian is a friend of mine, but PM me for details if you are interested. Let's just say there is a reason why I am recommending the GC plates.

If you want to use your stock springs, the choices are more limited. You can do the Dinan fixed plates, or shim the strut and run spacers.

Bill
    Last edited by singletrack1; 04-05-2005 at 02:51 PM.

My Cars
    Past: 1998 BMW M3
    race parts have never been comfy and quiet...i'm sure you know that =)
    The car is only as fast as the driver

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i, 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by dorikin_86
    race parts have never been comfy and quiet...i'm sure you know that =)
    sure they have

the ground control/advance design coilovers are quiet and comfy (to me anyway)

the motor-force camber plates are quiet

1994 BMW 325i - GUTTED,
    AD shocks, eibach race springs, motorforce camberplates, stud conversion, and RTAB limiters, tunnel exauhst, CAI/chip, underdrive pullies, fan delete, AC delete, sparco race seats, 18x9 Superlegerras, GC swaybar, 2.8L engine with M50 intake manifold
    AND

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack1
    you want to use your stock springs, the choices are more limited. You can do the Dinan fixed plates, or shim the strut and run spacers.

Bill
    I dunno if this was directed towards me or not, but right now I have h&r sports. I don't plan on dropping the money right now to get coilovers, but it was brought to my attention that I could buy GC springs and have my bilsteins revalved to some other more aggressive spec (since they are soft). I dunno, but right now that is what I have and I'd like to get something that could work with coilovers as well.
    Stiffness isn't a concern for me, but noise might be an issue. Are the GC ones easy to grease up?
    "And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

My Cars
    Past: 1998 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jmott
    sure they have

the ground control/advance design coilovers are quiet and comfy (to me anyway)

the motor-force camber plates are quiet

comfortable 'to you'

94is: I rode in an instructor's car with HR/bilsteins and it was already pretty impressive without camber plates and stuff....and FYI...he was about 5 secs quicker a lap on street tires than me with GC serious track + kumho V700's on buttonwillow....so I'd give spending big bucks another thought

only reason i bought mine was my old acs suspension would bottom out endlessly on the track and was impossible to drive without understeer of some sort even at my snail pace...
    The car is only as fast as the driver

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i, 1996
    Its intersting, I've ridden in a lot of other cars with less stiff springs the end up feeling less comfy than my car. I guess mostly japanese coilovers. I think their valving is either just insane, or assumes perfect roads.

The ADs really are quite tolerable even though my spring weight/car weight ratio is pretty agressive.

either way though they certainly don't make any noise =)

comfortable 'to you'

94is: I rode in an instructor's car with HR/bilsteins and it was already pretty impressive without camber plates and stuff....and FYI...he was about 5 secs quicker a lap on street tires than me with GC serious track + kumho V700's on buttonwillow....so I'd give spending big bucks another thought

only reason i bought mine was my old acs suspension would bottom out endlessly on the track and was impossible to drive without understeer of some sort even at my snail pace...
    1994 BMW 325i - GUTTED,
    AND

My Cars
    #94 IP, '68 250SE '17 M3
    comfortable 'to you'

Yeah, I've ridden with instructors with mildy modified E30's (*cough Randy Walters) and he is consistently just as quick if not quicker than well setup e36 m3's. A lot can be said about the driver.
    Right now, the car is handling pretty well. On street tires with my current suspension, I am usually right behind the guys with r-comps (a lot of SCCA drivers). Basically, I need some better tires, and more negative camber up front. Right now I only have about -1 degrees up front and -2 in the rear.
    I got my springs for free and got good deals on the rest of my suspension brand new. Anybody who knows me would say that I'm a deal finder. I guess I'll just keep my eyes open for something since I'm not in a position just yet to revamp the suspension.
    Thanks for the help guys.

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2dr/5spd*
    Another vote for M-F camber/caster plates...quality construction, spring perch choices, quiet, and you can't beat the customer service...
    Estoril/Modena '97 M3...sold for the second time.
    ------------------------------------
    You only live once, and I'm running out of time...

My Cars
    '99 E36 M3
    I've been using TC Kline camber plates for a year on my E36 M3. It's my daily driver that sees 5-6 HPDE's per year. They work great, don't make noise and I'd highly recommend them.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Agree with dbbmwm3, TcKline's camber plates from everyone I know that's recommended to me are the best and easiest to adjust. Motor-Force's plates are designed after the the Tckline's also, so they're very good and cheaper

My Cars
    97 M3 komp, 91 Porsche 944S2, 80 Scirocco, 76 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by jmott
    The ADs really are quite tolerable even though my spring weight/car weight ratio is pretty agressive.

either way though they certainly don't make any noise =)
    Curious, what do you & the lightest DSP bimmers weigh at Kansas?

Lighter than the SM M3'? They're 2650'ish lbs I hear. I'd be happy to get my M3 down to 2800's lbs.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i, 1996
    Mine is in the 2800s (4 door, sunroof)
    I know of one in the 2700s (2 door, no sunroof)

Both still have some weight to lose

Quote Originally Posted by hotshu
    Curious, what do you & the lightest DSP bimmers weigh at Kansas?

Lighter than the SM M3'? They're 2650'ish lbs I hear. I'd be happy to get my M3 down to 2800's lbs.
    1994 BMW 325i - GUTTED,
    AND

My Cars
    GTS3 E36, 97 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by UrReflector
    Motor-Force's plates are designed after the the Tckline's also, so they're very good and cheaper
    Ummm... no, they aren't designed after TC Kline's plates. Nothing alike.

My Cars
    2005 M3
    If your budget oriented, like myself, my theory is do it right the first time. Meaning, if you just add the camber plates but then later down the road are going to get coilovers. Why not just replace your current set up with a coilover system, add the camber plates and your set and then you do not have to pay to disassemble the sus. twice plus the alignment cost each time.

Also, with the springs you have, did they not naturally give the car more neg. camber?

I'm considering these for my car in the future or the dbl. adj. ones.
    GC

I'm new to the BMW world but have been actively educating myself what this car needs to perform better than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 94is
    Hey guys. I wanted to hear your expert opinions on camber plates. I am looking for something adjustable that I can adjust for track and or autox days since the car isn't a dedicated track car, I can't be running -2.5 degrees camber up front all day long (or whatever it should be set at).

I have heard that GC makes some nice ones, but that they can be pretty noisey. I have heard conflicting arguments on the Turner ones and haven't heard anything bad about the TcKline ones (just that they are $250 more than the others).

Also, right now I do not have coilovers and possibly one day I will get some. I'd like to keep my options open so I don't have to swap everything and end up wasting a lot of money.

So basically I want some camber plates that can be used for street/track setup, that will work with non-coilover setups as well as with coilovers, and that possibly won't be undriveable for street use (ie. noise). Also, I have a motorsport strut bar that will be used, and as far as I know most applications will work with that bar. Thanks for the help guys, any info is appreciated.

-Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast