Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunfire sub for Z3 series -- experience

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Well I just installed the sunfire subwoofer/ amp kit. I have to say that it is a drastic improvement over the oem H/K subwoofer.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a replacement head unit? I would like to be able to use my iPod or have a usb connection. However, I do not want to replace more speakers, run new wiring, etc.. I want to keep the car as close to original as possible. Thanks.

My Cars
    DinanZ3, 535i,MiniCooper
    I replaced my HK sub and sub amp a couple of years ago with the Carver Sunfire System..What a difference! They are no longer stocked, but I kept my eye out for one till I found it on ebay new in box. Good luck, if you find one it's one hell of an upgrade and anyone who knows Carver knows what I'm talking about.

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by akreis View Post
    Well I just installed the sunfire subwoofer/ amp kit. I have to say that it is a drastic improvement over the oem H/K subwoofer.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a replacement head unit? I would like to be able to use my iPod or have a usb connection. However, I do not want to replace more speakers, run new wiring, etc.. I want to keep the car as close to original as possible. Thanks.
    Crutchfield.com

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    01 M Roadster. 98 M3
    Mine are still going.....
    phrider
    2001 Titanium Silver M Roadster with hardtop
    1998 Titanium Silver E36 M3 Coupe
    Former cars: Saab 900 Turbo, Rabbit, 1967 Chevy II, 1951 Packard Ultramatic Coupe (0-60 in under 0.3 minutes)

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by kostverloren View Post
    I replaced my HK sub and sub amp a couple of years ago with the Carver Sunfire System..What a difference! They are no longer stocked, but I kept my eye out for one till I found it on ebay new in box. Good luck, if you find one it's one hell of an upgrade and anyone who knows Carver knows what I'm talking about.
    I called Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin, Ohio Monday. They told me there were 4 available around the country. They ordered it in and I picked it up on Friday. It wasn't cheap ($695.00), but if you want a dramatic improvement and keep your car stock, I would recommend this upgrade.

My Cars
    DinanZ3, 535i,MiniCooper
    Quote Originally Posted by akreis View Post
    I called Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin, Ohio Monday. They told me there were 4 available around the country. They ordered it in and I picked it up on Friday. It wasn't cheap ($695.00), but if you want a dramatic improvement and keep your car stock, I would recommend this upgrade.
    Wow! I stand corrected, now only 3 left. Good luck with yours and make sure you create a vent for all that new amp heat to escape from underneath the carpet.

My Cars
    01 M Roadster. 98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by kostverloren View Post
    ...and make sure you create a vent for all that new amp heat to escape from underneath the carpet.
    +1 -- easiest is just to fold back the liner above the subamp.
    phrider
    2001 Titanium Silver M Roadster with hardtop
    1998 Titanium Silver E36 M3 Coupe
    Former cars: Saab 900 Turbo, Rabbit, 1967 Chevy II, 1951 Packard Ultramatic Coupe (0-60 in under 0.3 minutes)

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Bump.

Any Head Unit recommendations? I want to use my iPod. I've seen adapters that allow you to use the Business CD head and the CD Changer cable in the trunk. However, I used to have a similar combo in my 2005 MINI and I was not impressed. It is too hard to navigate a library of 20,000 songs with the simple Business CD display and only 6 Playlists (BMW1,BMW2,etc...). I want a unit that will install easily with my factory/Sunfire speaker setup, yet will allow me to navigate my iPod efficiently.

I've been looking at the Alpine iDA-X305 or the Alpine CDA-9887.

Any thoughts on these units?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I have the Alpine iDA-X305, and I love it. You can change it to a red color that matches pretty well with the amber interior gauges. I run the ipod cable through the glovebox, and have no issues with it, other than the fact that it is awesome. I never listen to CD's or the radio anymore anyway, and this unit does it all for me. It is much easier to navigate than the earlier Alpine ipod units, because you can hold the wheel and go alphabetically, letter by letter, by artist or song. After having to scroll for 3 minutes on my old Alpine (x205?), this is so much better.

I ordered on crutchfield, and had it installed professionally.

Highly recommended, though it is a little pricey.
    Last edited by alamo; 06-29-2009 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Do you have the H/K stereo?

Did you get the Bluetooth kit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12